• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sirdrake1

if you knew yzermans last year to play was the season...

Rate this topic

So... you're saying that if you had given your entire career to one team, bled for them, injured yourself for them, and then were only one season away from getting to retire as the longest running Captain for one team and having only played for one team, only to be suddenly traded and had to uproot your family; all because you were going to retire and were viewed as nothing more than a trading chip for someone younger that would stick around longer, you would come back to that city to have them tell you how much they love you and want to retire you as their hero? I wouldn't.

Besides, he wouldn't be retired as the Captain would he? If he was traded before retiring, that would make him no longer the Captain of the Wings wouldn't it?

"Ok then..."

I think your taking this person's "ok then" in the wrong way

Ummm...no.

For all the reasons stated above PLUS the fact that, if memory serves, Yzerman was on record long before his final season as saying that he would retire if traded away from the Wings. Remember those Senators rumors?

Besides, he wouldn't be retired as the Captain would he? If he was traded before retiring, that would make him no longer the Captain of the Wings wouldn't it?

Chances are pretty good that he would have been the longest tenured captain in the history of the league if he was traded one year before retirement.

I mean... a really good chance. <_<

Steve Yzerman will not die...His body may perish, but the memory of him will not die in Detroit...

The Word Trade does not belong anywhere near the name of Our team President, former Captain.

Chances are pretty good that he would have been the longest tenured captain in the history of the league if he was traded one year before retirement.

I mean... a really good chance. <_<

whatever. making hard decisions is part of being a gm. if you cant make them dont insult me for being able to make them. im a natural leader.

Guest DetroitIan
...and you were GM Ken Holland, would you have tried to trade him at the deadline? keep in mind no other gm or any other person for the matter knows it would have been his last season.

:withstupid:

Heck yes, you trade him for the dallas cowboy cheerleaders. I mean after all it is a fantasy land you're living in right? How's about Stevie and Cheli for the DCC and a new car! Oh how the trades are endless in Fantasy Land. Is Tatoo still a live? Say hi to mr roke for me.

Trading Yzerman for Tatoo wouldve been dependent on whether you could ink Tatoo to a new deal.

whatever. making hard decisions is part of being a gm. if you cant make them dont insult me for being able to make them. im a natural leader.

i didn't insult. i merely disagreed strongly (his number being retired) and refuted by using a FACT to counter your assertion(longest tentued captain ever in the history of the league). i did not intend to offend, i apologize if i did.

this thread shows not that you are a natural leader, but a natural idiot... maybe. don't take it personally. i am sure i have beliefs about the wings that everyone here would think makes me an idiot. it happens.

as for the gm making hard decisions... good luck trying to lure that big name free agent in after you throw stevie y under the bus. i would have to imagine you would need to overpay pretty much everybody after a bs move like that. sadly, we are in the cap age. so, yeah... naturally lead me through that. wait... i did make a decision- not to trade the face of my organization. dude, he IS the red wings. case closed.

Edited by thedisappearer

lol what a weird topic. Trading away Yzerman....? Yea ok... :blink:

Wether it is smart as a GM or not.. Holland or any other GM would have been fired if they tried to trade him. I don't care if it was for Crosby, Ovechkin, Heatley. Not the right thing to do and only a classless GM would do that. Players like Stevie dont come around at ALL. And we will NEVER see the likes of anything like him again. He's done so much for us.. what a messed up topic.. :angry:

I think what people are forgetting is the key piece here... Yzerman's opinion himself.

Stevie Y was/is a class act. He bleeds Red Wings Red. The guy wouldn't even take credit for his career, instead giving props to the fans and the players he's played with.

If Detroit had the ability to acquire Crosby, Malkin and four 1st Round Draft picks... AND he knew it was his last year, I have no doubt he would have ok'd the trade. Hell, I bet he would have threatened to retire if Holland DIDN'T do the trade.

While I'm not a fan of either of those players, I admit they bring a lot of skill. Yzerman always looked out of the best interest of the Wings.

All of this being said, C'mon! What are you smoking? No one is going to turn over young talent like those two for even the classiest player. Then you toss in the completely unbelievable four 1st Round Draft picks and this ventures into Dreamland territory.