• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
e_mcgrath88

Do we need a tougher guy?

Rate this topic

I think Downey and Drake do an alright job for the most part. I dont think there is a need to get another enforcer, a guy like Malone or Gratton who can and will drop the gloves but put a few pucks in the net I wouldnt be opposed to! :thumbup:

I love Gratton.. would love to see him here.. :thumbup:

Nobody loves the tough guys more than me, and I'd be pretty excited if the Wings added an elite heavy to the roster. But my number one concern with this team was letting other teams push them around. As unimportant as that might seem to some, I believe it's important to the psyche of the team, particularly its star players, to believe they have teammates willing to stick up for them. Winning doesn't cure everything when marginal 4th liners on the other team are permitted to run your star players without any kind of response.

But this team has shown it has players who will answer that bell. I believe that just answering that bell is more important than having dominant fighters, so I don't think there's a critical need for more pure fighters. Now, team toughness is another matter. If they could add a big, physical defenseman with a mean streak and decent hockey skills, I think that could be huge. He doesn't have to fight at all. The beauty of having a couple guys willing to fight is it's contagious. Everyone else feels at liberty to play more physical knowing someone's got their back.

It kills me to say this, but I don't think this is a top priority at all right now. If they lose Downey or Drake to a trade or waiver, then I'll completely change my tune, of course.

We got two guys that are happy to drop the gloves to protect their teammates and have stated as much. That's not even including the Pain Train, who demolished Stephane Robidas tonight with a terrific hit. That's exactly what we've all been pining for, for the last three years at least. But no. More toughness dammit!

Its not so much about winning all the fights, its the knowledge that if you mess with our superstars, you'll have to answer to someone with your fists. It makes people think twice before they go after Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

While a tough dude never hurts (and the Wings have one), the Wings makeup right now is much like last season. They won't physically dominate another team, but they bust their butts off and do not back down from anybody and are not afraid to match teams for hits, even though they might not "initiate". Getting a "tougher guy" won't change this mentality.

Waaaaah, Hell yes we need another guy who will put a fist in someones face if they step outta line.. Or hell even if they think it.. I would love to get another player who will deliver bone crushing hits. and throw knuckles in a scuffle.. good ole fashion donnybrooks ftw..

Ship Kopecky out for Ivanans, Kings would get a youthful center, who can play a decent 2way game, for a player who has been HS'd 7 times so far this season but is a total baddass.

Drake-Franzen-Downey-Ivanans All sharing 4th line duties..

Tell me that wouldnt tickle your fancy? hardworking gritty determination. bone crushing hits. and bloody chris prongers? eh eh ?

As much as i would love for this to happen, in all actuality, it wont. So i should probaly stop talking about it.. Gah.

I don't think that there is a heavy out there to be had right now that would be worth it sadly.

Edit: Huggy Bear is on his last year with the Caps... hmmm

Edited by vangvace

Waaaaah, Hell yes we need another guy who will put a fist in someones face if they step outta line.. Or hell even if they think it.. I would love to get another player who will deliver bone crushing hits. and throw knuckles in a scuffle.. good ole fashion donnybrooks ftw..

Ship Kopecky out for Ivanans, Kings would get a youthful center, who can play a decent 2way game, for a player who has been HS'd 7 times so far this season but is a total baddass.

Tell me that wouldnt tickle your fancy? hardworking gritty determination. bone crushing hits. and bloody chris prongers? eh eh ?

As much as i would love for this to happen, in all actuality, it wont. So i should probaly stop talking about it.. Gah.

Ivanana is a real gem.. would love to see that monster in the red and white..

Would it make you guys happy if the team was composed of nothing but thickheaded thugs? Ivanans isn't a gem, he's a goon. We have Drake (who I kind of wish was named Dawson for awesome movie connection purposes) and Downey. The Wings have more fights this year than they've had for years, and still you people aren't satisfied. I'm perfectly content with Kopecky, because the Wings need people to grind after the puck more than they need people to throw punches. We have punch-throwers. We need Kopecky more than Ivanans.

I assume by thickheaded thugs you mean people who stick up for there teammates, when the going gets rough. Because everyone knows that sticking up for your teammates makes you a thickheaded thug.. Sheesh who would of that that right?

In no shape or form, am i saying we should all of a sudden be a dirty team like Philly and just cheap shot people left and right, but game in game out, there are times when we need one of these thickheaded thugs to flex some muscle. and show other teams that a] chill with the physical play on our key players or else your face will be my personal pinyata or b] you mess with our players? then have fun picking up your star players teeth from the ice.

With 5 minutes of ice time, id rather see a player who can single handedly change the game in our favor be on the ice, then a grinder like kopecky who could eventually develop into a solid nhler, but just hasn't elevated his play to another level yet.

Just my opinion, your entitled to yours but i would surely like to see another physical player on our team. We are still a soft team, and come Playoff time, when we gotta face teams like Calgary and SJ, id rather have a player like Ivanans then i would Kopecky. Besides that.. i dont think Kopecky can grow a beard anyway.

Edit..

Tied for 3rd.. for least amount of fights.. WEAK

Edit Again

I think Downey and Drake do an alright job for the most part. I dont think there is a need to get another enforcer, a guy like Malone or Gratton who can and will drop the gloves but put a few pucks in the net I wouldnt be opposed to! thumbup.gif

Malone and Gratton would be ideal, but that comes with a cost.. You could add Asham to that list also.. Puts points in the scoring column, not a defensive liability. and drops the gloves.. BUT if i remember right, Gratton has a no trade clause in his contract.. Could be totally wrong but, idk.

Edited by Grittzkey

chill out people. we have 30 wins in 41 games... why? why? why do we need to change something that is working? this team can score, this team can fight, this team can play defense, this team can hit, and this team is a team. We have gelled into a solid, solid hockey team. No team has pushed us around, we have not been manhandled, and with Drake and Downey, and even Lilly, Sammy, Franzen, and Kronner are making sure that no one pushes us around. If anything we need some 2nd line scoring winger to complement our first line. I am tired of all these "Get more toughness" threads. This is a fantastic TEAM, overall TEAM, and I would be perfectly happy going into april and may with this current roster.

I assume by thickheaded thugs you mean people who stick up for there teammates, when the going gets rough. Because everyone knows that sticking up for your teammates makes you a thickheaded thug.. Sheesh who would of that that right?

In no shape or form, am i saying we should all of a sudden be a dirty team like Philly and just cheap shot people left and right, but game in game out, there are times when we need one of these thickheaded thugs to flex some muscle. and show other teams that a] chill with the physical play on our key players or else your face will be my personal pinyata or b] you mess with our players? then have fun picking up your star players teeth from the ice.

With 5 minutes of ice time, id rather see a player who can single handedly change the game in our favor be on the ice, then a grinder like kopecky who could eventually develop into a solid nhler, but just hasn't elevated his play to another level yet.

Just my opinion, your entitled to yours but i would surely like to see another physical player on our team. We are still a soft team, and come Playoff time, when we gotta face teams like Calgary and SJ, id rather have a player like Ivanans then i would Kopecky. Besides that.. i dont think Kopecky can grow a beard anyway.

Edit..

Tied for 3rd.. for least amount of fights.. WEAK

Edit Again

Malone and Gratton would be ideal, but that comes with a cost.. You could add Asham to that list also.. Puts points in the scoring column, not a defensive liability. and drops the gloves.. BUT if i remember right, Gratton has a no trade clause in his contract.. Could be totally wrong but, idk.

No, by thickheaded thugs I mean cement-heads like Ivanans, not "guys who will stick up for their teammates." Downey and Drake have both talked the talk and walked the walk in that regard. Why do we need more? What are they, chopped liver?

And if you think this team is soft, you need to go watch some Tampa Bay Lightning hockey. The Red Wings are not soft. Not this year. You want to lead the league in fighting majors? The Anaheim Meatheads are, and they're also teetering on the brink of not making the playoffs. They're tied with Calgary, both in the standings and the fighting category. Flyers and Bruins are next, and they're in the same precarious position in the standings. If you judge a team's toughness by how many fighting majors, you have a terribly misguided view of toughness.

Whatever, this will be a subject we wont agree on..

you'd rather have a team full of fairy's.. i'd rather have a team full of pit bulls.. oh well atleast we can agree on the fact that the wings are the s*** right?

Whatever, this will be a subject we wont agree on..

you'd rather have a team full of fairy's.. i'd rather have a team full of pit bulls.. oh well atleast we can agree on the fact that the wings are the s*** right?

We can indeed agree on that fact.

However, I take very strong offense at you claiming I'd rather have a team full of fairies. I like fighting and grit and toughness as much as anyone, and it's obvious you can't win with a soft team. You find me where I said I want a team full of slick-skating 5'8" 160 pounders that don't hit anyone.

The difference is that I think we have the pit bulls we need and while I wouldn't complain about the right trade, we certainly don't need to go breaking up the team just to add some big lug whose only talent is fighting, just so we can climb higher in the fight standings.

We can indeed agree on that fact.

However, I take very strong offense at you claiming I'd rather have a team full of fairies. I like fighting and grit and toughness as much as anyone, and it's obvious you can't win with a soft team. You find me where I said I want a team full of slick-skating 5'8" 160 pounders that don't hit anyone.

The difference is that I think we have the pit bulls we need and while I wouldn't complain about the right trade, we certainly don't need to go breaking up the team just to add some big lug whose only talent is fighting, just so we can climb higher in the fight standings.

I agree with your views on what toughness is. It's not about dropping the mitts all the time or throwing huge hits. Look at Homer, does he ever drop the gloves or throw big hits? no, I would consider him to be a very tough hard nosed player though. What about Z and Dats, they go into the corners and work their asses off every shift and usually come out of the corner with the puck on their stick against guys who are way bigger than them!! Opposing d men must be frustrated to hell they can't stop these guys. Do we need guys who will drop the gloves and throw big hits? of course we do but I look at it in an overall team toughness standpoint and how hard it is to play against our team and I think our chemistry and our players ability to trust one another on the ice is where our overall toughness comes from!! Acquiring some plugger like Ivanans is just useless, he isn't good enough to play our system and come playoff time he would just be eating popcorn in the press box!!

As much as I'd like to see a real heavyweight on the team, like someone who will drop the gloves every game and kick the crap out of people, I know it won't happen in a million years, so I've given up on the arguement. It's become redundant, if anything.

I like Drake and Downey just fine. Their two charecter guys who both stick up for their teammates, which is something this team majorly lacked last year. Their decent fighters in their own regard, and can keep up with the middleweights of the league. Plus, both of them have given me a good fill for fighting, and I hope they continue to do so. :)

Ivanans would do nothing to help the Wings improve in the standings and he would be a liability for the playoffs. There is no need for a goon on the Red Wings.