• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 pjgj13

pjgj13

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:16 AM

If I read it right, the Wings set a record for earliest to 30 wins. besting their record of 29 wins set in '95-'96.

#22 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:27 AM

The one observation that I have taken from the first half of the year that stands out in my mind is Dats overall ability.
We knew Zetta was a very good two way forward, we knew Dats was unbelievable with the puck on his stick, but watching the few games that have been either on National TV or Yahoo, Dats backchecks with the best of them.
His stick check when coming at a player from behind is as deft a touch I have seen in a long long time. Does he have any hooking or high sticking penalties, I doubt it, but how many times have you seen him skate up from behind and just nudge the players stick and turn around with the puck to start the O going.
He doesn't seem to be exerting himself (like a certain Swedish defenseman we all know) but I have yet to see him put himself out of position. I am only talking D here, his offense we all know to be great, but his D is what impresses me the most.
This kid is good!!!!!

I can not wait for FEB 2, Wings B's I will be there!!!!
You tell I'm coming, and hell's coming with ME!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the Tombstone reference.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#23 vangvace

vangvace

no such thing as overkill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (Jeremy88 @ January 3, 2008 - 01:47AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes you can...

I want those cheerleader shovel girls Chicago has yowza.gif

I'd prefer not to add another gimmick to going to a hockey game. But thenagain I also don't like how several teams have started concerts and hockey games have broken out.

Plus with the cheerleaders you always have that annoying huckster and stupid mascot running around just asking to get the crap beat out of them.
I make 1 or 2 posts a week tops. Sometimes they're gold, sometimes they're crap, but the end weight is the same.

http://www.letsgowin...tion=boardrules

#24 Copenhagen848

Copenhagen848

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:38 AM

Very well done post. I can't wait for the post season!

#25 lets go pavel

lets go pavel

Pacifiers are for pansies. I chew pucks!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE (vangvace @ January 3, 2008 - 11:18AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Plus with the cheerleaders you always have that annoying huckster and stupid mascot running around just asking to get the crap beat out of them.

but isn't that what we got downey for?? laugh.gif

seriously, these guys are playing at such a high level almost every night, and with such great chemistry no matter what the line combinations lately, i can't wait for the playoffs ...
"The one thing I love about Datsyuk, and there is much to love, is that no other player is like him. And, at least in recent history, it's hard to think of any player who has really been like him. He is a unique freak of nature in how he stick checks and operates in tight quarters. It's amazing how he deceives people from a stand-still position or when he isn't moving very fast. He is hockey's David Blaine." -- John Buccigross

#26 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:01 PM

The only two things I want from the second half of the season is...

1- Everyone to stay healthy.

2- Play better against the Central. If we don't, the last month of the season will gurt us. We play our last 11 games in the divion, and 13 out of 14. I think this will benefit us, as we will ratchet up the intensity and be ready and firing on all cylinders come the playoffs.

What I want from the postseason is another story all together...
*this space for rent*

#27 DRW Dominance

DRW Dominance

Yzerman=God

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:32 PM

I just read that we set the record for the most wins in the first half of the season with 30. Pretty crazy. And all this is being done with Lidstrom's ice time down (recently anyway). The fresher he can be come playoff time obviously the better.
naked is a state of mind

#28 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,211 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE (puckbags @ January 3, 2008 - 12:48AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree, the sign of an excellent team is when they play bad one night and can bounce back the next night and dominate someone. We don't have too many off nights but its nice to know that when we do have one the streak usually ends at 1.

I think Bill Clement, of all people, summed it up well on XM yesterday. He was talking about Ottawa's recent troubles, also mentioning the 7-game losing streak they had not too far back.

(paraphrasing)
"We shouldn't be surprised by this, though. All teams in the NHL have had their ups and downs during this season...except Detroit, though."

And he's right. We haven't endured any major losing streaks. We haven't endured any long periods where it's been win-one-lose-one-win-one-lose-one. That's not to say we haven't faced adversity already during the season - we have. We've come back from 2-goal deficits. We've overcome the loss of Zetterberg and Holmstrom. We've become worldbeaters when the refs refuse to let up on us. We're a great team this year, it's as simple as that.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#29 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,211 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (DRW Dominance @ January 3, 2008 - 12:32PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just read that we set the record for the most wins in the first half of the season with 30. Pretty crazy. And all this is being done with Lidstrom's ice time down (recently anyway). The fresher he can be come playoff time obviously the better.

That stat IS a little biased in favor of the 2007-08 team, however. Keep in mind that the shootout wins that we have would instead have been ties for the 1995-96 team. With that in mind, we would only have 26 wins right now. Still, it's nothing to sneeze at.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#30 RedWingedKitten

RedWingedKitten

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:04 PM

Great post, I love everything about it. thumbup.gif

However, lets not get ahead of ourselves, we have to always want the win like it's a game 7 triple over time, otherwise we have a weakness.

#31 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,065 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:12 PM

For me one of the biggest factors in the start this team has had resides not on the bench but behind it.

If the Wings maintain this pace (not likely, but who would've believed they would've maintained the pace through 41?) if Babock does not win the Jack Adams trophy it's a travesty. In my mind he is, hands down, the best coach in the NHL today.

It takes a special coach to have his players go 110% game in and game out from the top of the roster to the bottom and he's done just that. He's pushed the right buttons with certain players in order to get them to perform and has aced the handling of the goaltending tandem.

This team is absolutely unrelenting. It starts with the coaching staff, then the star players and then down to the Mark Hartigans and Aaron Downeys.

He has this team functioning as a machine.

#32 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,065 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE (edicius @ January 3, 2008 - 01:57PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That stat IS a little biased in favor of the 2007-08 team, however. Keep in mind that the shootout wins that we have would instead have been ties for the 1995-96 team. With that in mind, we would only have 26 wins right now. Still, it's nothing to sneeze at.

Another thing overlooked with the "OMG they're ahead of the 1995-96 pace!" talk is the fact that while they've been better through 41 games this year.... that 1996 club lost 4 games -- FOUR! -- in the 2nd half of that season.

#33 Uncle Danny

Uncle Danny

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 675 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:20 PM

Nothing to add here that hasn't already been said. Great post, and here's hoping the second verse is the same as the first!

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-- Kurt Vonnegut

#34 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,297 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:23 PM

I honestly don't care where we wind up in the standings. I'm just worried about the health of this team. This season reminds me of the '96, '04, or '06 season, where this team set all sorts of records, and I had a hard time envisioning how they could lose in the playoffs those years. Now that I'm convinced the regular season is meaningless for the Wings, I won't be satisfied till we win the Cup. This team looks like it'll finish with the most points in the league for 4 straight seasons. We know what happened the other 3 times.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#35 FedorovGurl

FedorovGurl

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 548 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:43 PM

I did not realize how spoiled I am these days as a Red Wing fan until I was pouting to a friend after the New Years Eve loss and she said "you can't win 'em all" and I was astounded. It was like someone hit me over the head with one of Mickeys old Sherwoods!
"Can't win 'em all"?? What a concept.
Welcome Back Kotter Hudler!! ".... who'd of thought they'd lead ya back here where we need ya? "

#36 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:54 PM

This team looks great to me. I am more excited for this years playoffs than any for the last 6 years. The Wings really have something going this year - looks like they found just the right chemistry.

I am loving this team right now.
When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#37 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,153 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:29 PM

What I'm really looking forward to is the Wings dominating in the second half and then adding a Sundin or a Foote at the deadline as if it say, "And I did your mom last night." thumbup.gif

Edit: And I'd like to agree with the comments about the record. It is a bit..."inflated."

Edited by Dabura, 03 January 2008 - 05:30 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#38 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,873 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (Dabura @ January 3, 2008 - 06:59PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What I'm really looking forward to is the Wings dominating in the second half and then adding a Sundin or a Foote at the deadline as if it say, "And I did your mom last night." thumbup.gif

Edit: And I'd like to agree with the comments about the record. It is a bit..."inflated."

laugh.gif!

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan, 03 January 2008 - 05:54 PM.

#NOMOREKINDL

#39 up2here

up2here

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:07 PM

Unless we play Chicago in the first round blink.gif

Edited by UP2HERE, 03 January 2008 - 06:07 PM.

#40 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (Matt @ January 3, 2008 - 02:15PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another thing overlooked with the "OMG they're ahead of the 1995-96 pace!" talk is the fact that while they've been better through 41 games this year.... that 1996 club lost 4 games -- FOUR! -- in the 2nd half of that season.

The also lost multiple games to only one opponent; Winnipeg. That's over the whole season. This year's team has already failed in that respect.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."