• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
up2here

Wings to make offer for Sundin?

Rate this topic

Saw this in the Edmonton Journal online:

It's a given the Detroit Red Wings will take a run at Toronto's Mats Sundin if he waives his "no-trade" clause but they'll have to be careful what they part with to land him. He doubts the Wings would part with their 2008 first round pick but suggests forward Jiri Hudler, goalie Jim Howard or "one of their young d-men".

As the Leafs season keeps going in the crapper this one is going to gain some steam.

Sundin is an incredible fit to round out Detroit's top-six...which means the Wings probably won't get him. It would cost a boat-load of assets but it might just be worth it if Toronto doesn't ask for a roster player. The Wings have a glut of defensive prospects. IMO, the only way the Wings get Sundin is if he says he'll only waive his NTC to go to Detroit (and maybe one or two other teams). That would give the Wings a lot more leverage in the situation than if every team in the league had a shot at him.

I'd be careful with trading Howard. If they choose to deal him, they had better be sure that Larsson has big league capacity. And if they chose to hang on to that 1st round pick, they had better use it to draft a goalie. That is all.

Also, the Leaf's have Pogge, who has potential equal to or exceeding Howard's. Why would they want Jimmy?

Plus, I love Hudler, it would be sad to see him go for a rental in Sundin.

edit: I'd give them a 1st, a 2nd, and Sammuelson before I'd part with any other roster players or prosepcts.

Edited by rick zombo

I'd be careful with trading Howard. If they choose to deal him, they had better be sure that Larsson has big league capacity. And if they chose to hang on to that 1st round pick, they had better use it to draft a goalie. That is all.

Also, the Leaf's have Pogge, who has potential equal to or exceeding Howard's. Why would they want Jimmy?

Plus, I love Hudler, it would be sad to see him go for a rental in Sundin.

The rental thing bothers me too. It REALLY bothered me watching Shawn Mattias play for Canada.

Guest wingswillwincup
The rental thing bothers me too. It REALLY bothered me watching Shawn Mattias play for Canada.

i still think shawn matthias will end up being a 3rd liner , its tough to see what hes doing now but some players are incredible junior players and dont end up playing in the nhl or are 3rd-4th liners , 5-6 defensemen ....... i wouldnt let it get to me ... yet

Leafs are going to want far more than Hudler and Howard.

Yup, and I can't see management giving up either of those guys. Certainly not our future #1 in net.

Sundin would be an absolutely incredible addition and would all but guarantee a Cup. Personally, I'd give up a lot to land him, but I don't think Holland would.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
I wouldn't give up Jakub Kendl. Leafs are going to want far more than Hudler and Howard.

I hate the idea of rental players. If Sundin could be a re signable player it'd be different but I don't see where we could add his ginormous salary. Therefore, you're hoping Sundin brings you a Cup and anything less is a waste. We won't be happy with the Conference Finals nor would we be happy losing in the Cup Finals. It's all or nothing. And IMO, the odds of winning are so hard and the bounces here and there so flukey, I don't like the idea of brining in a rental for what its going to cost.

Think about the potential buyer's remorse. Let's say we get to the Finals and lose. And it cost us Kindl, a 1st and a 3rd or Howard and Hulder or some other combo. I'd be pretty ******* pissed off.

I doubt were going to get him, but if we did, wow. He's one of my absolute favorites, I get out of my seat and cheer whenever he scores, I'd love to see him in the red and white. That said, he will cost too much, and wont want to leave anyways. The only, only, only way we get him is if he tells JFJ he'll only waive his NTC for Detroit.

Guest wingswillwincup

my personal untouchables prospects wise are ...

howard

larsson

kindl

smith

ericsson

abdelkader

ryno

d axelsson

j andersson

ritola

guys id might consider for a trade bait for a sundin ( although i still think he would cost too much and wouldnt do it )

emmerton

mursak

mcgrath

helm

meech

quincey

pyett ( hes doin well which might increase his value but i dont think hes gonna be more then a 5-6 defensemen, lebda type)

off the roster ...

samuelsson

lebda

my proposal .... IF ... and only if were gonna do a trade for mats this is who id part with

cory emmerton ( not sold on him)

derek meech or logan pyett

darren helm ( we got enough solid checkers ... andersson,abdelkader )

1st rd pick 2009

for mats sundin

2008 draft is too deep , if they refuse to take the 09 pick then the hell with them

Sundin is as safe a rental option as there ever was; he doesn't take nights off, and if he were to come here, it would be because he wants one thing and one thing only: to win it all. And there's no doubt in my mind that he'd do just that.

Seriously, imagine our top 6 with him in it.

Sick.

Sundin is as safe a rental option as there ever was; he doesn't take nights off, and if he were to come here, it would be because he wants one thing and one thing only: to win it all. And there's no doubt in my mind that he'd do just that.

Seriously, imagine our top 6 with him in it.

Sick.

Zetterberg-Sundin-Holmstrom :yowza:

my proposal .... IF ... and only if were gonna do a trade for mats this is who id part with

1st rd pick 2009

for mats sundin

That's a joke, right?

If you want Mats Sundin, you're going to have to give up something to get him.

I hate the idea of rental players. If Sundin could be a re signable player it'd be different but I don't see where we could add his ginormous salary. Therefore, you're hoping Sundin brings you a Cup and anything less is a waste. We won't be happy with the Conference Finals nor would we be happy losing in the Cup Finals. It's all or nothing. And IMO, the odds of winning are so hard and the bounces here and there so flukey, I don't like the idea of brining in a rental for what its going to cost.

Think about the potential buyer's remorse. Let's say we get to the Finals and lose. And it cost us Kindl, a 1st and a 3rd or Howard and Hulder or some other combo. I'd be pretty ******* pissed off.

This is pretty much my thinking process, too. If the Wings win a Cup and Sundin wins the Conn Smythe, it's a great move. If they lose in the western conference finals, I'm inconsolable.

Zetterberg-Sundin-Holmstrom :yowza:

I'd stick him on the second line, personally. ZDH + a line anchored by Sundin = Domination. Even the Ducks' D would be spread thin. And if somehow the opposition's shutdown lines get the job done, Babs can always swap players between the lines.

Our top 6 is scary enough as it is. Throw in a big-time, big-bodied, ultra-clutch goal-scorer and there will be no stopping this team.

But yeah, like everyone's saying: not happening. *sigh*

howard

larsson

kindl

smith

ericsson

abdelkader

ryno

d axelsson

j andersson

ritola

guys id might consider for a trade bait for a sundin ( although i still think he would cost too much and wouldnt do it )

emmerton

mursak

mcgrath

helm

meech

quincey

pyett ( hes doin well which might increase his value but i dont think hes gonna be more then a 5-6 defensemen, lebda type)

off the roster ...

samuelsson

lebda

1st rd pick 2009

for mats sundin

2008 draft is too deep , if they refuse to take the 09 pick then the hell with them

damn, you read my mind. That's pretty much what I had thought.

Until I hear that he's waived his NTC though, I'm not putting much stock in this. Wait and see how (and if) it plays out. In Kenny we trust.

Oh, and for those saying the trade is a joke, this is assuming it's a rental and there is the understood agreement that he will be returning to the leafs asap. You don't give up equal value for a rental (and a team loaning players out shouldn't expect it, since in the end it costs them nothing when they get their player back). If Sundin was coming over to stay (and I have no idea how we fit him in under our cap space), then we give up a fair amount more and more players become available.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Intresting tho id rather give a 1st than hudler ( i just like him)

Perfer to risk it with forsberg so we dont give up any assests.

as already pointed out, you do not get a Mats f'in Sundin for nothing, I would not part with Hudler, or any real roster players, as you do not break up what is already working so well, which means, a WEALTH of young talent - As already stated, they would have no real need for Howard, as they already have an up and comer in Pogge, they need D and they need future up front... also, they would not want Samuelsson, he is already 30 and would not really fit their system

2008 2nd rd

2009 1st rd

Derek Meech

AND as much as I would hate to lose him with his size and the promise he's shown, Cory Emmerton

The guts of the trade being the 2009 1st rd and Emmerton

also, with how weak and un-reliable their 3rd pairing has been, Meech would definitely be an every day top 6 on that squad...

I would also give up a 2010 4th or 5th rd as well if they wanted it...

Edited by stevkrause

howard

larsson

kindl

smith

ericsson

abdelkader

ryno

d axelsson

j andersson

ritola

emmerton

mursak

mcgrath

helm

meech

quincey

off the roster ...

samuelsson

lebda

1st rd pick 2009

for mats sundin

Lebda? Are you kidding? He is young and fast and plays hard every night. And who would you replace him with?

No. Lebda isn't going anywhere

howard

larsson

kindl

smith

ericsson

abdelkader

ryno

d axelsson

j andersson

ritola

emmerton

mursak

mcgrath

helm

meech

quincey

off the roster ...

samuelsson

lebda

1st rd pick 2009

for mats sundin

Sundin leaving Toronto has another Tkachuk rental situation written all over it. (For those who don't remember, Atlanta gives up prospects / picks for Tkachuk who goes UFA and resigns with St Louis after the season. )

Lebda? Are you kidding? He is young and fast and plays hard every night. And who would you replace him with?

No. Lebda isn't going anywhere

I would give up Lebda in a Sundin deal no problem.