• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

zaxx

Can we beat 95-96 Regular Season?

Rate this topic

I know it is very early but when we are on a roll I get excited.

Do you guys think we can beat our 95-96 record for most wins in one season? We had 62 wins...

Can we top Montreal's 76-77 record for more points? They had 132 points...

At this point:

43 Games Played, 32 Wins, 67 Points

We have 39 games ramaining so to beat the totals we would need:

31 wins or 80% winning percentage in remaining games (63 wins total in season)

If we pulled off the most wins in a season we would be sitting at 129 points. This means we would then have to get 4 more points in the remaining 8 games. These could come in the form of 2 wins or 4 OT losses.

Well it is slim but it would be a fun regular season if it happened.... what are your thoughts?

As long as we make it to the playoffs healthy and ready.

That's what I'm more concerned about.

It would be nice to see those records fall to this team, but I'd rather see them focused on the playoffs than the regular season records.

It only a comparison if they beat the win or point mark minus the shootout victories/points. The shootout era should obviously have its own set of records.

It only a comparison if they beat the win or point mark minus the shootout victories/points. The shootout era should obviously have its own set of records.

Why? I hate it when people say this. Should Gretzky's goal record be looked at differently since the goaltending he faced was horrid? Should Brodeur's stats be discounted since he has played most of his career in a defensive system?

The answer is an emphatic no.

EDIT: Back on topic, no this years Wings won't reach either mark. There are too many teams who are too good to allow them to come close to the win mark.

Edited by imisssergei

Honestly don't give a crap. It would be nice and kind of cool. Only thing is that history has shown us that in the end none of that crap matters. It's all about what you do in the months of april and may that matter.

Yeah, playoff time is mainly on my mind right now. Don't get me wrong - I've thought about it and it would be great to beat a record or two but the competition in the league this year is tough and though it's possible, I wouldn't say it's likely.

I'd be happy if the wings could string together 10 Ws finally.

And yes, it's going to come down to whether or not we step it up against the central teams coming down the stretch. Possible, but I'd lay long odds against it right now.

I actually posed this question in the GDT after the 30th win. It's strange how many ways this can be looked at. Take the New England Patriots, for example. If the Pats win the Superbowl this year, they won't be remembered because of the Championship moreso than they'll be remembered for their 16-0 season. Also, suppose the Pats lost that last regular season game instead, but went on to win the Super Bowl anyway. I think New England would be more remember for a perfect season ending with a playoff loss more than they would a close-to perfect season with the hardware at the end.

The Wings have already set the record and not brought home the Cup, and the Wings have ALSO brought home the Cup with not-bad seasons. I'd like most to see the whole shabang here, break the record AND take home the Big Silver and really put a stamp on this season about how good the team has been and, with all hope, will continue to be!

I actually posed this question in the GDT after the 30th win. It's strange how many ways this can be looked at. Take the New England Patriots, for example. If the Pats win the Superbowl this year, they won't be remembered because of the Championship moreso than they'll be remembered for their 16-0 season. Also, suppose the Pats lost that last regular season game instead, but went on to win the Super Bowl anyway. I think New England would be more remember for a perfect season ending with a playoff loss more than they would a close-to perfect season with the hardware at the end.

The Wings have already set the record and not brought home the Cup, and the Wings have ALSO brought home the Cup with not-bad seasons. I'd like most to see the whole shabang here, break the record AND take home the Big Silver and really put a stamp on this season about how good the team has been and, with all hope, will continue to be!

Bingo!! Thats what it's all about..win as many games as possible and win the presidents trophy, screw all these myths about winning it and then winning the cup.

prolly wont break the record cuz the central division is just 2 tough for them this year. But I can easily see them winning the presidents trophy and going to WCF.

I just want a great playoff run ending with the cup. I don't care about any of that regular season bull crap.. I don't care if we are an 8th seed. Just get to the playoffs with how ever many points and win the cup! :thumbup:

Why? I hate it when people say this. Should Gretzky's goal record be looked at differently since the goaltending he faced was horrid? Should Brodeur's stats be discounted since he has played most of his career in a defensive system?

EDIT: Back on topic, no this years Wings won't reach either mark. There are too many teams who are too good to allow them to come close to the win mark.

I think you simply need to deal with the fact that it really wouldn't be comparable. It's way more cut and dry than the example of saying Gretzky played in the high flying 80's with weak goalies.....and just for the record, lots of people look at his stats differently because of it.

Should they beat either, it sure as hell would be tainted since for each SO win they get, they would be getting 1 more win and 1 more point than they would have in the past, it really isn't that obscure of a thing to analyze. So far this year, they have 4 SO wins I believe, so that is 4 more wins and 4 more points than they would have had before.

Also, the 70's Montreal team only played 80 games, so if they beat their point total in 82 games, that wouldn't be comparable either.

In response though, it is highly unlikely that they will reach either. You have to think they will slow down a little as the seasn wears on and even currently, they are not on pace to break either.

I think you simply need to deal with the fact that it really wouldn't be comparable. It's way more cut and dry than the example of saying Gretzky played in the high flying 80's with weak goalies.....and just for the record, lots of people look at his stats differently because of it.

Should they beat either, it sure as hell would be tainted since for each SO win they get, they would be getting 1 more win and 1 more point than they would have in the past, it really isn't that obscure of a thing to analyze. So far this year, they have 4 SO wins I believe, so that is 4 more wins and 4 more points than they would have had before.

Also, the 70's Montreal team only played 80 games, so if they beat their point total in 82 games, that wouldn't be comparable either.

In response though, it is highly unlikely that they will reach either. You have to think they will slow down a little as the seasn wears on and even currently, they are not on pace to break either.

Thats why I think Mario was the greatest offensive player of all time and not Wayne.

We discussed this in December. Long story short, OTL points/shootouts make it easier to reach either milestone.

I didn't think the Red Wings would break the record back in 1996 but they just kept winning... and winning.... and winning. But that team was also deeper and didn't have a single major injury the entire season. It will take a lot of luck to do that this year.

There's a difference between comparing different styles to different rules. As someone else posted, the Wings have 4 shootout wins, which they wouldn't have had in '96. Who knows how many wins that '96 team would have had if there were shootouts back then? Also, does anyone know if there was even overtime back in '77 when the Habs had that great team?

There's a difference between comparing different styles to different rules. As someone else posted, the Wings have 4 shootout wins, which they wouldn't have had in '96. Who knows how many wins that '96 team would have had if there were shootouts back then? Also, does anyone know if there was even overtime back in '77 when the Habs had that great team?

For the 1983-84 season, the NHL introduced a regular season overtime period of five minutes. Source: Wikipedia