• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Heaton

Official: Osgood Signs 3-Year, $4.25m Extension

Rate this topic

i think hes way overrated and the fact that he plays for the wings is what is helping his numbers ... that being said hes still doing his job , and for just under 1.5 million a year i think is a good number ..... i just hope that doesnt get in the way of howard becoming the man ....howard and ozzie should split games next year , and howard the official starter in 09-10

CM54~Marijuana-Not-Crack-Posters.jpg

Well, with Hasek (hopefully) gone next season, and Ozzie only making 1.5mil and Howard will make less than 1mil, we have quite some cap space so signing Hank, Cleary, Filpulla and Cheli (I hope) will be easier and we might even get dman or 2nd line center :)

I think next year the Job is Ozzie's and J-ho backs him up, then let J-ho take the following year IF he has shown he has the ability. Signing Osgood allows the Wings to test the waters with the Youngster and hopefully let him get used to the NHL and have Ozzie show him what it takes!

I'm pretty sure the Wings signed Osgood for 3 years because they are expeting him to be the starter for that many years. Jimmy Howard is no where near ready to be a #1 goalie yet in this league. Hopefully, in 3 years time, he can pick up a few things from Ozzie and be ready once Chris' contract expires.

Guest wingswillwincup
CM54~Marijuana-Not-Crack-Posters.jpg

ya i smoke up cause im not on my knees praising osgood LOL pls , im not brainwashed , you guys are crazy if you dont think the fact that he plays for the wings help his numbers your too biased , you can put kolzig here or some other goalie and theyd still play as well ...... anyways that being said for 1.5 a year for 3 yrs is a good signing , i just hope howard gets a fair shot at being the number 1 in the next 1-2 yrs

Guest wingswillwincup
I think next year the Job is Ozzie's and J-ho backs him up, then let J-ho take the following year IF he has shown he has the ability. Signing Osgood allows the Wings to test the waters with the Youngster and hopefully let him get used to the NHL and have Ozzie show him what it takes!

howard and ozzie should split the games next year .... no point in having howard be the backup and play 20 games , hes young and needs to play ..... 45 games ozzie ....37 games howard sounds about fair, and if howard just shows too much promise then he should be the starter in 09-10

My eyes, my poor eyes. I did not just read that.

hahaha yup i think you did... ah well... just gotta roll with it... you can't fix dumb :P

howard and ozzie should split the games next year .... no point in having howard be the backup and play 20 games , hes young and needs to play ..... 45 games ozzie ....37 games howard sounds about fair, and if howard just shows too much promise then he should be the starter in 09-10

he needs to still get into the mind set of the NHL... AHL is much different than the NHL (there is a reason players get sent DOWN to the AHL for conditioning when they can't live up to the NHL level) I am all for Howie playing.. but coming in taking 1/2 or more of the games is soooo not the right path. He has barely held on in the games he has played so far... he isn't ready for the starting position or major game holder yet....

Edited by OsGOD

Count me among the exceedingly pleased. There are all kinds of intangibles to the deal besides three years of quality goaltending at a bargain price. We have a fantastic mentor for Franchise Boy Jimmy. If Jimmy turns out to be as good as advertised, we have a veteran backup who would rather be a backup for the Wings than a starter anywhere else. (That kind of loyalty to the Wings and the city deserves our loyalty in return, fivefold.) If Jimmy is a bust, we have a goalie for the transition years between now and the next Franchise Boy (Larsson?).

Peace of mind in net never comes this cheap.

Man, who'd'a thunk that the kid who was the "goat" of the '94 playoffs would turn around and still be a Red Wing in 2011?

Guest wingswillwincup
hahaha yup i think you did... ah well... just gotta roll with it... you can't fix dumb :P

he needs to still get into the mind set of the NHL... AHL is much different than the NHL (there is a reason players get sent DOWN to the AHL for conditioning when they can't live up to the NHL level) I am all for Howie playing.. but coming in taking 1/2 or more of the games is soooo not the right path. He has barely held on in the games he has played so far... he isn't ready for the starting position or major game holder yet....

i know the nhl is different then the ahl ..... that being said he needs to play theres no point bringing him up to play 15 games , he is or he will be in his mid 20s cant keep making the guy wait , carey price was just sent down cause he wasnt playing enough , if howard comes up hes gotta play and we cant keep him down any longer we need to find out if hes got a future here .... i think 35 + game season is enough and then in 2 yrs maybe make him play longer

Guest wingswillwincup
So how do you explain his solid numbers while with the Isles, & Blues? Pure luck?

i wouldnt say solid ... id say average , not bad but nothing great either ......and i think you guys are confused with the blues you see now and in the past , the blues were a solid team and had the longest streak of making it into the playoffs then any other team , and in his 2nd season with the islanders he was under average , i think your way too biased if you think ozzie would of gotten the same amount of wins he has in his career to date if he spent it elsewhere then detroit

..... that being said ozzie is doing his job this year ..... but then again most of you also thought hasek was done and as i predicted he would bounce back and be our starter in the post season , its way too soon but haseks gotten back to back shut outs and has been doing pretty dam good himself

2003 St. Louis NHL 67 31 25 2.24 0.910 3 0 144 1604

2002 Total NYI/StL NHL 46 21 17 2.95 0.892 4 0 124 1153

2002 St. Louis NHL 9 4 3 3.04 0.888 2 0 27 241

2002 NY Islanders NHL 37 17 14 2.92 0.894 2 0 97 912

2001 NY Islanders NHL 66 32 25 2.50 0.910 4 0 156 1727

Edited by wingswillwincup

ozzie fans have no fear, the doubters here and no worse than the datsyuk doubters when he signed his extension, its bound to happen.

Not surprised by this signing , but if ozzie keeps up the play he has shown this year, what a fantastic signing

My eyes, my poor eyes. I did not just read that.

:lol::lol:

Nice Reem! And hooray for signing the overpaid sludge-value babyfaced worthless loser of a 19-2 lifetime backup goalie. Ozzie shall indeed retire a Wing!

This is great news, I'm glad we'll have Ozzie around for the next few years, as for those who say the Wings signed him to be our starter for the next three years are wrong, although his outstanding play this season is part of the reason they re-signed him its not the complete reason why. I'm sure when Dom retires (again) They will bring up Jimmy Howard who is developing more and more each year in the AHL, and have Ozzie Mentor him while they both flip-flop in goal, so Jimmy can get experience and if things go bad, they have Ozzie to fall back on. This is if Dom is done after this year, you never know with the Dominator.

The Wings organization have known for years what Chris is capable of, his play this year is more than they expected from him but they are far from being suprised by it.

and lets not forget I don't think it will happen but GM's well Smart GM's like Holland don't sign a player for having one great season, look at Jim Carey for example he was the hottest goalie in the league and everyone was sure he would have many many successful seasons in the NHL and be a hall of famer one day. where is he now?

Congrats Ozzie good to see your staying where you belong.

i think hes way overrated and the fact that he plays for the wings is what is helping his numbers ...

If anything he's been underrated most of his career.

That being said, this is sweet news. :rockstar: :band:

Edited by SouthernWingsFan