• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

96warrior

McCarty meets with Red Wings

Rate this topic

I have to say that he deserves a shot. He is going about it the right by playing with Flint to start out. If he can prove that he still has gas left in his tank, which i think he does, then maybe he goes to Grand Rapids for a little bit. See how he does their. If he plays well enough and if a chance comes were we could use him in our line up due to injury, then why not give him a game. See what happens in that game and them maybe it becomes two games, then three and so on.

I'm a big fan of Dmac. I think that he can provide the team with more then Drake. I think that we could use an enforcer for the playoffs. If Mac is ready and can compete at an NHL level again and help the team rather then hurt the team, then why wouldn't Babs give him a chance. Hell, maybe that chance comes in training camp next year rather then this season.

Would love to see him back in the red and white again.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Darren was great back in the late 90s, but times have changed and so have the Wings. Bringing him back isn't going to accomplish anything, and is only going to put kids like Ellis and Hartigan even further back on the depth chart when they deserve a shot.

It's great that he's working out and such, and I hope he can get back into shape and latch onto an NHL team, but I think the Wings are just fine with Drake and Downey (when he plays) in the lineup.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Darren was great back in the late 90s, but times have changed and so have the Wings. Bringing him back isn't going to accomplish anything, and is only going to put kids like Ellis and Hartigan even further back on the depth chart when they deserve a shot.

It's great that he's working out and such, and I hope he can get back into shape and latch onto an NHL team, but I think the Wings are just fine with Drake and Downey (when he plays) in the lineup.

Ellis is 26, Hartigan is 30. They're as good as they're going to get, really. That said, it's still probably better than a 35-year-old DMac, so I'm with you.

This morning's game in Muskegon was for school kids. Teams do this once a year in the league and rough stuff is not encouraged. McCarty pounding someone into the ice was not on the agenda in today's game. It was supposed to be a G-rated game, my friend.

Here's an article about Mac from the Windsor newspaper: http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/story.ht...58a&k=81337

Your right thats why there was a badass fight and some bigtime checks and blatant highsticks to the face.

He hasn't fought since he broke his hand... what good is he to this team? seriously... he is not going to bring any toughness and certainly isn't a scorer... idk

As a player and what he can give to any team was phased out with the new nhl. I like McCarty, but i don't see any value he will bring... maybe he perform during intermission to try to liven up the crowd??

he had that one huge fight and the one big goal last decade... that was fun.. but he hasn't done squat in the nhl since then.

Edited by OsGOD

Come on guys/gals. I love Dmac as a person, but he's 35 now, and wouldn't really bring anything to this team that we don't already have. I'd hate to see Kopecky/Franzen, or even drake get their lineup spot taken away to insert McCarty (even though that would never happen in the first place.)

I remember a certain #25 of Detroit scoring countless clutch goals on a certain #33 of the Avalanche. Doesn't that count for something?

Maybe he's the clutch guy we're looking for to get us passed say a Giguere or Luongo.

I really sense something brewing with the Ducks and hes the type of guy you want on your side when Pronger and Perry and the other quacks get out of control.

I don't know why everyone's freaking out about this. We're all well aware that McCarty is not the player of old, at least not yet. Is he older? Sure but doesn't Detroit have the two oldest players in the league right now who are excelling at their positions? If any fanbase knows that age shouldn't be the only determining factor, it's us. Besides, maybe Cheli can give him some workout tips?

Point is, nobody's calling for him to be on the top lines, if he shows he can still do it, he'll probably just rotate in and out on the 4th line. What harm is that? Is everyone here really that in love with Drake, Ellis, etc? If he sucks Babcock won't play him, the coach knows what he's doing. At least we know Mac has the mental capacity and fortitude to play in the high pressure atmosphere that is the playoffs, and he usually (at least in the past) has brought a solid game. Like the Windsor Star said, it's essentially a "no-risk" situation for the Wings.

Peace,

esteef

Thanks for the article.

As for me, this issue has been debated for the last couple of weeks and there are those who think Mac has a good chance, and those who think he will contribute nothing.

I say we just sit back and see what happens, for me it can really go either way depending on his effort to earn a spot though there is going to have to be a lot of dedication on Mac's part.

There is no way in hell Mac can make it back to the Red WIngs. No way. Absolutely no way. Too old. Too beat up. Too beat down. Too far out of shape. Too bad.

But if he does do it and EARNS a spot on the Wings roster, I'll be standing and cheering my ass off as loud as everyone else.

But there's no way.

I'm just a fan; I don't make the decisons, I just watch what happens.

I remember a certain #25 of Detroit scoring countless clutch goals on a certain #33 of the Avalanche. Doesn't that count for something?

wow #33 that brings back memories... how long has he been out of the league now?

D-mac hasn't done much more than #33 has since than either... and d-mac didn't retire. <_<

I just heard on the radio... assholes are doing this to try to get people in the stands!!!!!

Mr. Moneybags won't LOWER TICKET PRICES but he is willing to sign up a play to waste an entire roster spot for a few minutes in a game here and there.

D-mac is better suited in detroit as front man for Grinder... and taht is not saying much.

You want people in the seats???? Lower the prices a-holes!

Edited by OsGOD

I used #33 just as an example because in the PLAYOFFS we played them a lot and he put up a lot of goals against them. Other teams we played a lot in the playoffs over McCarty's stint changed their goalies a lot (a la St Louis). Anywho PLAYOFFS being a key word here, he proved he could be clutch when we needed to win important games.

Don't think that I'm campaigning for him to take a roster spot if he can't play at this level anymore, but if he can play anywhere near what he used to, I'd cut The Drake in a heartbeat. I'd Cut Samuelsson too. Yet I'd keep Downey in the lineup over all three.

Langer was more clutch than d-mac would ever be and he was kicked to the wayside even faster by fans.

I would keep drake before d-mac... at least drake will still drop the gloves... mac doesn't anymore...bad hand and all.

if Moneybags was looking for a player to bring people into the seats... get effing Fedorov back on the team... he is the most hated loved player not on our team right now... the sheep booing him will be cheering once again when he doans the winged wheel and it will add people into the seats AND add some talent both offensively and defensively.

Edited by OsGOD

^^ i will agree to that :)

well two up now... you posted in between lol. Why does this site no longer add posts by the same member within moments to the same post anymore?

Edited by OsGOD

I don't think we would want to take a chance on Mac's personal life and his demon's and all the media attention, to distract the team from where we want to be this season.

I will always think of #24 being a key part of the Wings.

Age usually is very unkind. Mac was pretty much done when he left here for the Flames. He was able to pick up his intensity for a brief while in Calgary, but soon ran out of gas and as a result of it and injury problems, Darren had a hard time getting much playing time.

The bottom line is Mac's opportunity this season, would be someone already on this excellent team, missed opportunity.

If there truly is as Mac says "gas in the tank" let him come out next season and earn his spot like everyone else.

I just heard on the radio... assholes are doing this to try to get people in the stands!!!!!

Mr. Moneybags won't LOWER TICKET PRICES but he is willing to sign up a play to waste an entire roster spot for a few minutes in a game here and there.

D-mac is better suited in detroit as front man for Grinder... and taht is not saying much.

You want people in the seats???? Lower the prices a-holes!

Oh, give me a break. You think that DARREN MCCARTY is going to fill up the Joe? He's hardly Sidney Crosby or Alexander Ovechkin. Why wouldn't the radio talk about it? We're talking about it here, so you're just as guilty. Ilitch/Holland/Babcock would never let McCarty take a shift on the Wings' team if he didn't have anything to contribute, which he doesn't, so quit with the conspiracy theories.

Oh, give me a break. You think that DARREN MCCARTY is going to fill up the Joe? He's hardly Sidney Crosby or Alexander Ovechkin. Why wouldn't the radio talk about it? We're talking about it here, so you're just as guilty. Ilitch/Holland/Babcock would never let McCarty take a shift on the Wings' team if he didn't have anything to contribute, which he doesn't, so quit with the conspiracy theories.

When did i say that? I said the RADIO said that.. aka the phrase, "I JUST HEARD ON THE RADIO"... i think its a complete joke... re-read what i said before you jump on me please :D Got enough s*** on my back right now thanks

I said if that was the case... thats pretty s***ty when the tickets are the problem.

Edited by OsGOD

Its a win/win situation:

McCarty is feeling pretty bad about his place in life right now. Dude is low. He talks to his buddy Drapes (part owner of the Flint Generals) about his come back plan. Drapes figures why not give him a chance. Draper, of all people, knows what its like to be given a second chance and turn it into something successful. Now tell me Mac won't sell tickets in Flint. Of course he will. Drapes gets to help out a buddy and give him a chance, and at the same time increase the revenue for the Generals. And the Wings look good for even meeting with Mac in the first place.

Chances are he'll never get past Flint. And everyone knows that. If he actually gets good enough to make it to GR, of course he'll sell tickets there, too.

If he gets nothing out of this whole thing but pulled muscles, a bloody nose, and humiliation, then he has closure to his hockey career, and can get up and get his life going by focusing his energy elsewhere, knowing that his old friends gave him a chance when he asked them to. Just the fact that Drapes and the Wings bellieve in him enough to give him this chance may give him the confidence he needs to take on life after hockey.

If he beats the odds of a brazillion to one, and actually earns a spot back on the Red Wings roster, the Red Wings organization once again looks like everyone they touch turns to gold, and Mac can retire on the movie rights alone, and T.Low gets misty eyed as he watches DMac score on Ray Hiphop Emery in the game five clincher (so its at home at the Joe) of the SCF.

And to all a goodnight :zzz: