• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings_Dynasty

Oh, that silly Bob Clarke on that silly Steve Downie

Rate this topic

Guest Jeremy88

I honestly don't think Downie did anything wrong. They were in a scrap, and if you've got a chance to punch the guy, take it...that's how fights work. Just because the refs try to break up the fight doesn't guarantee the scrap is over.

I honestly don't think Downie did anything wrong. They were in a scrap, and if you've got a chance to punch the guy, take it...that's how fights work. Just because the refs try to break up the fight doesn't guarantee the scrap is over.

Nice way of thinking. Matches your description under your user name. :rolleyes:

Guest Jeremy88
Nice way of thinking. Matches your description under your user name. :rolleyes:

Ok, whatever

I'm sure Downie didn't mean to "sucker" punch him. He probably just wanted to get a hit on him.

Ok, whatever

I'm sure Downie didn't mean to "sucker" punch him. He probably just wanted to get a hit on him.

And that's fine if Blake is in a position to return the favor, not having his arms held.

The fight was over, and Downie hit him. Cheap shot defined.

I don't mind it. Everybody piling on Downie all season is getting a bit tired.

Well the guy has only played 5 NHL games and already got a 20 game suspension in one and a fine in another, should we sing his offensive praises?

Honestly the guy is asking for bad press and for bad things. He is a rookie, and no one really respects him yet (because he hasn't earned league wise) however I am sure quite a few people respect McAmmond and Blake.

If he is going to consistently play like this, he better keep his head up and his mouth piece in!

Edited by Opie

Ok, whatever

I always thought that a "sucker punch" was like when you hit someone while they aren't looking or expecting it. The refs are stopping the scrum and then Downie sneaks in a extra little punch. That to me is a sucker punch. Maybe it wouldn't of been as big of a deal if Blake didn't have that shiner. Still though, that's a sucker punch.

please OH PLEASE don't ***** when Downie gets a Moore done to him

That is my problem, the last thing the league needs is that, unfortunately if he doesn't change his tone that is exactly what he needs, minus the career ending injury part. He needs a veteran guy to beat the ever living snot out of him and then stand over his bloodied face and say "There punk, smarten up, get it, can you still hear me with all of the blood in your ears!!!"

I mostly agree with a lot of what Clarke has to say, he just takes it a little too far. I didn't see a big deal with the most recent Downie incident, it was a little silly to throw a late punch in that situation, but that happens all the time. If it was someone else on another team, we probably wouldn't have known about it unless we were watching the game.

Blake is a real annoying guy too, so he probably deserved a bit of that. I think they were both being tied up and Blake was trying to hit Downie as well.

Wonder if Clarke will be as thrilled with sucker punches when they start happening to his players. If Burke's double-standards and his bats*** craziness are any indicator (since Clarke is clearly aspriring to be like him), Clarke will be calling for executions.

Edited by edicius

I mostly agree with a lot of what Clarke has to say, he just takes it a little too far. I didn't see a big deal with the most recent Downie incident, it was a little silly to throw a late punch in that situation, but that happens all the time. If it was someone else on another team, we probably wouldn't have known about it unless we were watching the game.

Blake is a real annoying guy too, so he probably deserved a bit of that. I think they were both being tied up and Blake was trying to hit Downie as well.

downie_47863.jpg

Blake still has both gloves on, and not that you can tell from that picture, well you kind of can, Downie's momentum was pulling the ref down who was pulling down Blake. Blake is looking to get footing, and then WHAM right in the eye.

What scares me the most is look at Downie's face, he looks evil right there. Maybe it is just one of those bad pics that the timing of it makes it look worse, but his face looks like he has every intent to cause lots and lots of harm.

just my opinion

What scares me the most is look at Downie's face, he looks evil right there. Maybe it is just one of those bad pics that the timing of it makes it look worse, but his face looks like he has every intent to cause lots and lots of harm.

just my opinion

In all seriousness, what do you expect the look on someone's face in the process of thowing a punch to be. In most cases, it is going to be something like this.

Why are so many people getting riled up about what that s***bag Bobby Clarke said? This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, since he's the same guy that purposely went out on the ice to break someone's leg. f*** Bobby Clarke. He hid his whole career behind the toughest team in the league, so he never knew what retribution is. I don't agree with what Downie did, but the Leafs should have dressed a tougher lineup. That's the only way to deal with teams like the Flyers. The next time the 2 teams play, someone on the Leafs should suckerpunch a Flyer player, or else stop whining about it.

160_hockey_fight_050826.jpg

Something like this, see how they are wincing due to a punch coming back at them.

or

nhlfight-1.jpg

Where they are focusing on what they are hitting.

Although the difference is that the players in the example I used were exchanging blows, Downie knew he was not getting hit so he probably just let loose. Either way his face looked evil, based on my perception you may not think that (not trying to be argumentative although it reads that way), I just thought it looked more anger driven and rageful than what I expected.

downie_47863.jpg

Blake still has both gloves on, and not that you can tell from that picture, well you kind of can, Downie's momentum was pulling the ref down who was pulling down Blake. Blake is looking to get footing, and then WHAM right in the eye.

just my opinion

I don't think you can read too much into Downie's expression from a still photo. There was a picture of Ward in a fight when he was still a Red Wing, and he looked like he wanted to eat puppies and punch babies.

But it is worth noting that Blake still has his gloves on. This isn't a case of two guys throwing haymakers and a linesman steps in prematurely. This was a scrum, Blake was being held, and Downie took a cheapshot.

5 NHL games + 20 game suspension + 1 suckerpunch = douchebag.

I can't stand Downie, but linesmen are supposed to restrain both players equally so this stuff never happens. If they don't, someone is going to take advantage and throw a punch. Tempers get hot out there, but I haven't seen anyone blaming the linesmen yet. That's one of their responsibilities.

f* Bobby Clarke. his goons are nevertheless gonna suck and miss playoffs yet again. as happens with most goon squads nowadays

Yeah, because Anaheim didnt fair so well last year with there goon squad :rolleyes: . Face it people, the new NHL is gonna have douchebags and tough guys. I wish there werent as many douchebags, but the fighting aspect is just going to grow. Espicially if Calgary, Anaheim or Philly do anything in the playoffs this year.