• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wingfan191

Shoot Out skills competition to be judged now?

Rate this topic

Someone on another hockey forum said they heard tonight on TSN that the shootout skills competition will be judged and scored ala the dunking competetion in the NBA All Star Game. I think this is awesome and will add some flare to something we see a lot more now a days with the shootouts.

Pleh. The dunk competition is DUMB. Everyone tries these stupid dunks that never work.

The skills competition is better than any other leagues' pre-game festivities.

If they really are "judging" the shootout competition, here's one hockey fan that will not be watching ANY of the skills comp.

Pleh. The dunk competition is DUMB. Everyone tries these stupid dunks that never work.

The reason the dunk competition sucks now is that pretty much everything has been done. Or when guys try to push the envelope it's too hard, so it takes them 15 tries before they get it right. It used to be amazing.

This isn't something that will likely be a success long-term, because there's really only so much you can do...but for a couple years, it could be really awesome.

If nothing else, it gets some pub for the league. Look how much attention that 9 year old kid got for that goal he scored in the shootout between periods of that one game. Now, some of that is because he was 9, but stations were airing the Rob Hisey goal from the OHL skills competition and he's an adult. And how many people know the name of Mike Legg, who was a pretty good college hockey player, but never did anything after he left Michigan? Crazy goals draw attention.

I think it'd be fun to watch.

The dump competition doesn't suck, and people are still doing unique things.

Anybody even catch the competition last year? It was amazing. Dwight Howard placing a sticker at the top of the backboard, Gerald Green jumping over Nate Robinson while covering his face, and Nate Robinson doing everything Spud Webb could do back in the day... The dunk competition is the best thing to watch, and it's not redundant every year at all.

The NHL skills competition isn't what it used to be. The 3 on 0 drills are boring because the players try to pass too much, and since the shootout was implemented, the breakaway relay isn't that fun anymore, because we see that situation all the time now, where before we only saw it on penalty shots.

Victory!!!

Haha ... I dont care how many people bash it, I'm excited to watch it. Add a bit of excitement to an event that year after year people ***** about as being dull. If it is so dull ... think of some events to try and turn it around. This is start. Good call NHL.

All you need:

- Puck-control relay (team and singles)

- Shot Accuracy

- Fastest Skater

- Hardest Shot

- Breakaway Relay

The End. Satisfying competition.

What, you mean like it used to be, nah what good would that do. I mean seriously who would want to watch skills competitions have something to do with the game of hockey, when a 3-0 from the slot against the goaltender is so much more common in the game of hockey!!!!! [/sarcasm]

Letting the players to show some of the things they can do that never get seen in normal games is lame? God forbid they have some fun at a event thats supposed to showcase the best players of the year (or atleast the most popular) and their skills.

ESPN would finally have something to show on Sportscenter to the non-hockey fans. Tell me someone watching Sportscenter wouldn't be amazed by a sick Datyukian deke or (Even though he isn't in it) Robbie Schremp's lacrosse esq shots.

Finally the players have a reason to get fancy in the shoot-out competition.

Not to mention the "Hextall" competition, which as a goalie, I've love to do.

I think there would be a lot more interest if the NHL did it like the NBA Skills where the Skills players are not just the All-Star selections. It would be great to see the Fastest Skater competition with players that are actually the Fastest Skaters, etc. Also, it would allow for more players from crappy teams and then maybe they could eliminate having to nominate someone to the All-Star team from every team. Only send All-Stars to the All-Star game and send others to the Skills Competition. I am sure we all can agree that Brian Rafalski should be there before Duncan Keith... or Sasquatch Pronger, for that matter.

Letting the players to show some of the things they can do that never get seen in normal games is lame? God forbid they have some fun at a event thats supposed to showcase the best players of the year (or atleast the most popular) and their skills.

ESPN would finally have something to show on Sportscenter to the non-hockey fans. Tell me someone watching Sportscenter wouldn't be amazed by a sick Datyukian deke or (Even though he isn't in it) Robbie Schremp's lacrosse esq shots.

Finally the players have a reason to get fancy in the shoot-out competition.

Not to mention the "Hextall" competition, which as a goalie, I've love to do.

Best two-handed slash is now an all star competition? :P

Guest jaytan

Why the hell would they need to judge the shoot-out competition? I thought that's what the little red light was for.

Why the hell would they need to judge the shoot-out competition? I thought that's what the little red light was for.

Amen. Yes, the dunk competition is stupid. For every dunk successfully pulled off, 10 fail miserably. Who cares?

A fight competition might sound interesting, but staged fights are no fun, and there's no sense risking injury like that at the All-Star Game.

Amen. Yes, the dunk competition is stupid. For every dunk successfully pulled off, 10 fail miserably. Who cares?

A fight competition might sound interesting, but staged fights are no fun, and there's no sense risking injury like that at the All-Star Game.

Maybe everyone could just beat up Pronger... I would watch that!

My biggest fear is that Bettman will get inspired and start forcing other all-star spectacles into regular season games.

Faceoffs now decided by seeing which player can bat the puck in the air the most times. No more power plays, now the goalie is pulled and a designated player shoots at discs in the corners. Break all the discs in 5 shots or less and your team gets a goal.

It looks like it's happening along with a few other changes...

http://tsn.ca/blogs/duthie/?id=226864

An All-Star Twist

1/9/2008

Sources tell TSN the NHL will introduce an NBA Slam-Dunk Contest style shootout at this year's All-Star Skills Competition in Atlanta.

Players will be asked to perform the craziest trick-shots they can come up with. Between the leg shots, spin-a-ramas, over the shoulder lacrosse moves, it's all fair game. A panel of celebrities, still to be announced, will judge the shooters on their originality.

The shootout will feature three players from each conference. They will be allowed to start from anywhere on the ice, even behind the net they are shooting on. The competitors will get two chances each. The judges will score the move anywhere from a 1 to a 9. If the player scores, he'll get an additional point, allowing for the possibility of a perfect 10. All six All-Star goalies will take a turn in net.

The two players with the highest scores from each conference will showdown in the final. Once again, they will get two attempts each. The single best score (ie: one 10 beats two 9's) is declared the shootout champion.

Unlike the NBA Slam-Dunk Contest, the shootout will only involve players on the All-Star teams.

The shootout will be the showcase event of a revamped skills competition.

The fastest skater event will now be a head-to-head 125-foot sprint from one goal line to just inside the opposite blueline.

The skills relay has also been altered dramatically. It will involve stick-handling, saucer passes, one-timers, and goalies having a chance to try to score by shooting the puck the length of the ice (is Ron Hextall available?)

The Youngstars Game, a disaster last year, is also being changed. It will be shortened to two 6-minute periods of 3-on-3. It will also get a more prominent placing, in the middle of the skills event. Last year, the Youngstars played an uninspired (understatement) game to a half-empty arena before the real All-Stars took to the ice in Dallas.

The all-star skills competition is slated for Saturday, January 26 in Atlanta

This sounds pretty sweet and i like the fact that there will be judging on the "shootout" or whatever we want to call it. Who wants to see an All-star skate in on a breakaway and go fivehole with a wristshot. It makes the players and goalies think, which will make it more interesting.

This sounds pretty sweet and i like the fact that there will be judging on the "shootout" or whatever we want to call it. Who wants to see an All-star skate in on a breakaway and go fivehole with a wristshot. It makes the players and goalies think, which will make it more interesting.

I am already visualizing Dats' goal...