• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Grind_Lines_#1_Fan

Is Ozzie a HOFer?

Rate this topic

Is Ozzie a Hall of Famer?  

110 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I said not yet and here is why:

The voters (not me) will credit his success with the wings teams in front of him, if he is to be a hof-er he will need to lead the wings to another cup. Not by his play but he will need to be in net for the majority of the games. If the team rotates the tandem through the playoffs, it will not help Ozzie's cause, but will not hinder Hasek.

Unfortunately the only way I see it happening is if the wing's win it next year when it is Ozzie's team with Howard taking 20-30 games.

I highly doubt it. A few good years doesn't merit entrance to the HOF. He would've needed a fantastic career, one on par with his stats thus far this season. I guess there is an outside chance that he may be one if the remaining years of his playing career turn out exceptionally well.

I can understand the arguments for an against. If you simply look at his career stats, you can make a pretty good case for it, but I just can't see him as a HOFer. I don't have a great reason as to why I think that way, but Osgood just doesn't say "HOFer" to me.

I think he's got the stats, or will have the stats when he retires, but he won't get in because, like Toby said, people don't think of Ozzie as a HOF'er.

Agreed. The curse of being just a 'great' player on the Red Wings...

I said not yet and here is why:

The voters (not me) will credit his success with the wings teams in front of him, if he is to be a hof-er he will need to lead the wings to another cup. Not by his play but he will need to be in net for the majority of the games. If the team rotates the tandem through the playoffs, it will not help Ozzie's cause, but will not hinder Hasek.

Unfortunately the only way I see it happening is if the wing's win it next year when it is Ozzie's team with Howard taking 20-30 games.

If that is the case, then Broduer should be in the HOF. He played behind the D of the Devil for his career and we know what we think of that.

Do any of you think that it would have mattered if he played his whole career in Detroit.

I am not saying add the cup Hasek won to his resume, lets say all of the stats are the same, now he is seen as Detroit's #1 goalie instead of a seasoned Journey man.

Does that change anything or is it what it is?!

Playing for detroit shouldn't matter one bit.... Every goalie has to play for one team or another... He did just as well on the Isles and Blues as he has done on the Wings... Its not his fault Detroit wanted him back and decided to sign him for the rest of his career... 2nd most winning goalie on the Wings (perhaps could even become #1)

Regardless of what team he has been on... He is posting HoF numbers for he career totals.

I have to laugh at the people that voted "NOT YET" lmao... ummm what? is like the remaining 3 years going to make a difference, going to sway your opinion of him??? Just suck it up and face the fact you are a no vote.

Edited by OsGOD

if he gets to 400 wins, I think he could probably make it...the only other goalies from the current era that are locks for the HOF are Brodeur, Hasek, and Belfour...CuJo has almost 450 wins...would he be a HOFer too? at least Ozzie has 2 Stanley Cup Rings...I can see arguments for and against (only 2 all star games, no major awards), but I think he might be in there

I have to laugh at the people that voted "NOT YET"

Just to be a smartass, the two correct answers currently are: No and not yet. Is Osgood a HOFer? Well technically no and technically not yet. He hasn't been elected to the HOF. :P

Playing for detroit shouldn't matter one bit.... Every goalie has to play for one team or another... He did just as well on the Isles and Blues as he has done on the Wings... Its not his fault Detroit wanted him back and decided to sign him for the rest of his career... 2nd most winning goalie on the Wings (perhaps could even become #1)

Regardless of what team he has been on... He is posting HoF numbers for he career totals.

I have to laugh at the people that voted "NOT YET" lmao... ummm what? is like the remaining 3 years going to make a difference, going to sway your opinion of him??? Just suck it up and face the fact you are a no vote.

Whoa my man, I actually posted what I thought to be valid reasons as to why he is a not yet.

A. He is seen as a journey man and regardless if that matters to you or not, appearance means a lot to the voters.

B. He is 45 wins away from 400, and in the next three years he could(more than likely will) surpass that, and if he does he is as close to a lock as he can get.

So lets compare his stats to a sure fire first ballot hall of famer:

Martin Broduer (fair comparison Broduer has one more year of experience)

Games Played

MB 929

CO 645

Wins

MB 517

CO 355

Loses

MB 276

CO 188

GAA

MB 2.20

CO 2.42

SV%

MB .913

CO .908

GA

MB 2011

CO 1493

SO

MB 96

CO 45

Notice there really is no comparing the two, Broduer is head and shoulder's above Ozzie, therefore Ozzie as of yet is not a sure fire HOF-er.

Why?

Because Broduer has reached certain milestones that guarantee him an HOF acceptance on his first try. Ozzie has yet to reach those milestones but he certainly could in the next few years, hence not yet!

If you take the top 20 goalies in all-time wins (and currently Ozzie is tied for 15th), Ozzie's GAA is better than all but three of them (Brodeur, Plante, and Hasek.) Some of the goalies he's currently better than: Roy, Belfour, Sawchuk, Fuhr, Hall, Vachon, Esposito, Worsley. That's a hell of a list. Save percentage stacks up favorably too. Grant Fuhr's, for example, is a terrible .887. I don't care if he did play in a high-scoring era: if the 80's were so high-scoring because goalies were that bad, then there shouldn't be any goalies from that era in the HoF.

Ozzie should be able to hit 400 wins by the time he's done. 400 wins, at least two Cups (hopefully more), and his other goalie numbers should put him in, IMO. He was never really thought of as the era's best goalie, but in the end the numbers should tell the tale.

Don't get me wrong Ozzie is a really really great goaltender.

But HoFer ...thats special.

If he was this well regarded he would not be Hasek's back up right now.

He has amazing stats this season and yet he himself admits that come playoff time he will be riding the bench while Hasek will be in the spotlight.

Hall of Fame goalies are always in the spotlight.

In fact he had to take a backseat to Manny (not a knock against Manny).

I really don't beleive that even if he gets another ring (riding the bench) or 400 wins it will make a difference. He may at some point be nominated and recognized as a very good goalie but he'll never get the votes.

sorry

as Kenny said

Said Holland: "He's accepted that he's a No. 2 guy and that as good as he plays, while he'd love to play in the playoffs, if Dom's there, he'll be rooting for Dom. I think he's at a stage in his life where he's just happy."

I may eat crow someday for my opinion (and I hope I do) but realisticly don't hold your breath.

Edited by bellarina

If he were to retire right now he wouldn't make the hall of fame, but in the next three years he has a chance to break a couple key detroit goaltender records and really solidify his chances. Thats why I voted not yet.

If you take the top 20 goalies in all-time wins (and currently Ozzie is tied for 15th), Ozzie's GAA is better than all but three of them (Brodeur, Plante, and Hasek.) Some of the goalies he's currently better than: Roy, Belfour, Sawchuk, Fuhr, Hall, Vachon, Esposito, Worsley. That's a hell of a list. Save percentage stacks up favorably too. Grant Fuhr's, for example, is a terrible .887. I don't care if he did play in a high-scoring era: if the 80's were so high-scoring because goalies were that bad, then there shouldn't be any goalies from that era in the HoF.

Ozzie should be able to hit 400 wins by the time he's done. 400 wins, at least two Cups (hopefully more), and his other goalie numbers should put him in, IMO. He was never really thought of as the era's best goalie, but in the end the numbers should tell the tale.

I agree with everything you said.

That's why I think he won't make it in.

Not to say it's fair. Based on his career and numbers, he's a legit candidate. But he's never been considered elite and never gotten much respect. His success is attributed to playing for Detroit most of his career.

I don't see that changing.

You stat freaks are too far in the forest to see the trees. This isn't the baseball HOF where stats are all that matters. At no point in his career was Ozzie one of the top 5 goalies in the league. How many other goalies in the HOF can you say that about?

You stat freaks are too far in the forest to see the trees. This isn't the baseball HOF where stats are all that matters. At no point in his career was Ozzie one of the top 5 goalies in the league. How many other goalies in the HOF can you say that about?

Really? So in 1996 when he was up for the vezina, and 97 when he had an excellent season, or 98 when he won the Cup..he wasn't considered top 5 in the league? How bout when he signed with the Isles and turned their team around into a playoff team? It's fine if you think he won't make the HOF, but to say that he was never considered top 5, is just pushing it a little too far. And btw, stats do mean something. They are taken for a reason.

I have a poster of containing NHL's Back Stoppers... included in it was: Ozzie, Roy, Hasek, Cujo, Ollie

Edited by OsGOD