• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
55fan

Technical Shootout Question

Rate this topic

I was reading the Rulebook this evening, and something struck me as odd.

According to rule 5.1 (eligible players), "A team shall be composed of 20 players (18 skaters and two goalkeepers) who shall be under contract to the Club they represent."

This would indicate to me that the goalies are considered "eligible players". Now on to the shootout rules (84.4):

"All players are eligible to participate in the shootout unless they are serving a ten-minute misconduct or have been assessed a game misconduct or match penalty."

Later it states: "After each team has taken three shots, if the score remains tied, the shootout will proceed to a "sudden death" format. No player may shoot twice until everyone who is eligible has shot."

So my question is this: Would a backup goalie be eligible to participate in the shootout? Could they be forced to before someone else could shoot?

I realize that this would not even be considered under normal circumstances; my question is theoretical in nature.

I saw a video clip of Hasek playing a game for fun in the Czech Republic, and he was playing forward. He wasn't good, but he did score a goal. That's what got me wondering.

"everyone who is eligible"

Backp goalie would not be eligible. Don't think he'd do very well with those pads and that stick, and they're not going to make him change gear.

See, that's what got me wondering. The rulebook is usually clear that "players" means skaters and goalies, whereas "skaters" is used to differentiate between the goalies and the forwards and d-men.

So when it said "players", and goalies were listed as "eligible players", I started wondering.

Would they take off the pads? Glove? Blocker? Yeah, definately the blocker.

"everyone who is eligible"

Backp goalie would not be eligible. Don't think he'd do very well with those pads and that stick, and they're not going to make him change gear.

Why would he not be eligible? Why wouldn't they make him change gear? "That's just silly" won't cut it.....looks to me, under the rules, that he'd be eligible to shoot, and in fact would have no choice but to change gear and take his shots if the shootout goes that long.

Hmm interesting question. You would think they way they said it that goalies could do it. They probably can, but the cances of the shoot out going through the whole roster and ending up at the goalie for a last resort is unlikely.

It would be cool to see it though. :lol:

If a goalie were to participate in the shoot out he would have to wear all of his goalie equipment as described in the rulebook or change all of his equipment to that of a skater. I would imagine this would take more than a couple of seconds, so with like 4-5 skaters left to shoot the goalie would have to get to the locker room, change like Superman and get back to the bench. It would be real funny if all that occurred and the last shooter scored the GWG.

Goalies are not allowed to play the puck past the red line. Thus, are ineligible to participate in a shootout.

Excellent point. Thank you. That should clear things up.

Although it would have been cool, wouldn't it?

The NHL rulebook actually has the word "spin-o-rama" in it:

The spin-o-rama type move where the player completes a 360° turn as he approaches the goal, shall be permitted as this involves continuous motion.

I found that while poking through the rulebook on this question.

Anyway, what the rulebook specifically says is that goalies may not "participate in the play" past the red line. Shootouts are governed by the same rules as penalty shots, and since penalty shots take place during a stoppage in play without the clock running, I disagree that that makes the goalie ineligible.

The NHL rulebook actually has the word "spin-o-rama" in it:

I found that while poking through the rulebook on this question.

Anyway, what the rulebook specifically says is that goalies may not "participate in the play" past the red line. Shootouts are governed by the same rules as penalty shots, and since penalty shots take place during a stoppage in play without the clock running, I disagree that that makes the goalie ineligible.

"In addition, during stoppages of play in the game, he must not

proceed to his players’ bench for the purpose of receiving a

replacement stick or equipment or repairs thereto, or due to an injury,

or to receive instructions, without first obtaining permission to do so

from the Referee. Otherwise, he must be replaced by the substitute

goalkeeper immediately (without any delay) or be assessed a bench

minor penalty for delay of game.

28.7 Participating in the Play Over the Center Red Line - If a goalkeeper

participates in the play in any manner (intentionally plays the puck or

checks an opponent) when he is beyond the center red line, a minor

penalty shall be imposed upon him. The position of the puck is the

determining factor for the application of this rule."

And just to clear up the wording in the rule book, the NHL uses player in reference to skaters, and goalkeeper in reference to 'tenders.

"If, while the penalty shot is being taken, any player, goalkeeper,

Coach or non-playing Club personnel..."

The backup goalie isn't technically considered part of the game roster unless he replaces the starter. A team can't have 2 goalies playing at the same time, so since one has to play net during the shootout, the other can't be shooting.

The backup goalie isn't technically considered part of the game roster unless he replaces the starter. A team can't have 2 goalies playing at the same time, so since one has to play net during the shootout, the other can't be shooting.

Thanks, toby, I didn't know that. I guess that would be a "no" then.

Besides, who'd hold the clipboard? :P

Goalies are not allowed to play the puck past the red line. Thus, are ineligible to participate in a shootout.

*pushes up coke-bottle glasses, sniffs loudly*

no! he'd just have to take a golf-style swing from the center dot, goddam it! and i mean, with all the force that a goalie-paddle brings to the table, he could score. PLUS, don't you know that hockey players play golf on the off-season / thursdays? c'mon, we've all seen the pictures of datsyuk at the links. i'm sure ozzie was there, just no one took a picture of him 'cause he didn't have great stats back then.

so, the official word is, "yes." but he's gotta happy gilmore that sumbitch from the center faceoff dot.

*pushes up coke-bottle glasses, sniffs loudly*

no! he'd just have to take a golf-style swing from the center dot, goddam it! and i mean, with all the force that a goalie-paddle brings to the table, he could score. PLUS, don't you know that hockey players play golf on the off-season / thursdays? c'mon, we've all seen the pictures of datsyuk at the links. i'm sure ozzie was there, just no one took a picture of him 'cause he didn't have great stats back then.

so, the official word is, "yes." but he's gotta happy gilmore that sumbitch from the center faceoff dot.

Since the puck is placed on the center faceoff dot, a goaltender couldn't even touch the puck without being in violation of the rules. He'd have to do it behind the line.

Since the puck is placed on the center faceoff dot, a goaltender couldn't even touch the puck without being in violation of the rules. He'd have to do it behind the line.

well, a puck isn't considered in the goal unless it completely crosses the goal line, right? wouldn't the same be true of the center line? assuming that "possesion" begins in the players own zone when the shootout begins, until the puck had completely crossed the center line, it'd either be still in the defensive zone or in some nebulous "no man's land," if you will.

FORE!

well, a puck isn't considered in the goal unless it completely crosses the goal line, right? wouldn't the same be true of the center line? assuming that "possesion" begins in the players own zone when the shootout begins, until the puck had completely crossed the center line, it'd either be still in the defensive zone or in some nebulous "no man's land," if you will.

FORE!

Well, I don't think the whole "goalie can't play the puck over the redline rule" really applies here anyway. This is the shootout. A shootout has nothing to do with the actual game of hockey, so why should the rules governing the game of hockey apply. The shootout has its own rules.

Well, I don't think the whole "goalie can't play the puck over the redline rule" really applies here anyway. This is the shootout. A shootout has nothing to do with the actual game of hockey, so why should the rules governing the game of hockey apply. The shootout has its own rules.

goddam right.