• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest paveldatsukthenextsavard

Why doesn't the NHL have a real nat. TV contract?

Rate this topic

Just a thought: Couldn't a network in the US get some sort of contract with Hockey Night in Canada and just broadcast that? It would be good for CBC because the deal would bring them in extra money at no additional expense, and it would be good for the US company because they wouldn't have to pay to produce a whole show.

Win-win. That's how I see it. Of course I have a sadistic desire to see what Don Cherry would do to the blood pressure of a certain sector of the population who likes to tell us how to talk and think. Is there a "sadistic glee" emoticon? :angel_not:

GREAT idea!

im w/ you on the desire to watch Cherry.When i used to live in Mi, i loved watching hockey night!

I cant belive Alaska doesnt get it :ranting:

nhl radio,Versus and HDnet arent too bad though..

I'll put out a scenario...

Nicole has the opportunity to date one of two guys. We'll call them Ed and Vince.

Ed is the most popular guy around, has lots of money, and hangs out with lots of friends. He'll often pick up their tab.

Vince is not as popular, but is a nice guy and will always be available for anything Nicole needs.

However, there are a couple other factors.

Ed often says demeaning things about Nicole in front of her friends and associates. Vince is usually supportive and praises her intelligence and beauty.

Ed ask Nicole to pay for his drinks, while Vince buys her drinks.

Who should Nicole date?

Whoever had the "big unit".....

The NHL doesn't have a 'real' national TV contract because nobody in the US cares about the NHL.

Sure, there are millions of fans that follow 1 team and 1 team only, but the NHL is more regional than any other pro sport in North America.

And, whether you agree with me or not, the product on the ice isn't good enough yet to get a big national deal with a big provider like ESPN.

If you're going to suck in, and retain, new fans, you need to make the product more North American friendly. There needs to be way more goals, more room and more fights/physical play. And I know this is blasphemy for some to admit, but too many of the NHL's stars are European. If 4 out of every 5 star/top scorer was North American it would be a lot different. But North Americans relate much, much better to North American athletes.

It's as simple as that.

Give the people a reason to love the sport and then they'll come. But watching one 2-1 game after another where offenses are easily supressed by boring defensive systems won't win over any new fans or bigtime TV contracts.

Edited by Hank

The good news is NHL and ESPN are talking, and hockey can possibly be on ESPN next year. The problem with versus is that alot of the country doesn't get it. ESPN is more popular and can attract more casual fans than VS.

The good news is NHL and ESPN are talking, and hockey can possibly be on ESPN next year. The problem with versus is that alot of the country doesn't get it. ESPN is more popular and can attract more casual fans than VS.

That's the only thing that ESPN has over VS in regards to the NHL.

In my mind, I wish the NHL would find a way to help VS get on every basic cable and satellite package in the US. They do a fantastic job representing the sport. They always have great pre and post game analysis as well as a quality production during the game. ESPN couldn't care less about hockey. It's too busy buying up rock-paper-scissors and major league gaming contracts to care.

ESPN is turning into MTV.

The NHL doesn't have a 'real' national TV contract because nobody in the US cares about the NHL.

Sure, there are millions of fans that follow 1 team and 1 team only, but the NHL is more regional than any other pro sport in North America.

And, whether you agree with me or not, the product on the ice isn't good enough yet to get a big national deal with a big provider like ESPN.

If you're going to suck in, and retain, new fans, you need to make the product more North American friendly. There needs to be way more goals, more room and more fights/physical play. And I know this is blasphemy for some to admit, but too many of the NHL's stars are European. If 4 out of every 5 star/top scorer was North American it would be a lot different. But North Americans relate much, much better to North American athletes.

It's as simple as that.

Give the people a reason to love the sport and then they'll come. But watching one 2-1 game after another where offenses are easily supressed by boring defensive systems won't win over any new fans or bigtime TV contracts.

WE NEED MORE MEXICANS!!!