• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rick zombo

Sat. Hotstove: Rob Blake to the Wings?

Rate this topic

I saw it. I couldnt believe how much CBC was bringing it up.

I'd love to see it happen, and considering he said he only wants to be a rental to a cup contending team, he might be had kinda cheap. (Prospect/Farm guy+2nd-4th round draft pick)

Would he really be a "massive" improvement over Lilja? Blake was always a bit overrated defensively. Even when the Kings were decent, Blake was always a minus player. Offensively, he isn't bringing any more to the tables these days than Kronwall. This isn't like Sundin where his playing style has kept his skills intact at 37. Blake's 38, and it's showing.

I dunno. I don't see a real need to trade for defense. I wouldn't like to see the Wings give up a regular or a top prospect. Draft picks and second-tier prospects only.

Would he really be a "massive" improvement over Lilja? Blake was always a bit overrated defensively. Even when the Kings were decent, Blake was always a minus player. Offensively, he isn't bringing any more to the tables these days than Kronwall. This isn't like Sundin where his playing style has kept his skills intact at 37. Blake's 38, and it's showing.

I dunno. I don't see a real need to trade for defense. I wouldn't like to see the Wings give up a regular or a top prospect. Draft picks and second-tier prospects only.

Defensively, all I care about is who is gonna handle The Ducks better. At times, at even strength, it looked like a power play the way the Getzlaf and Perry were dominating puck possession in the Wings zone in last years series.

Who will put a stop to that? Will Blake be an upgrade in that situation?

I don't think he is much better then Lilja; of course I don't HATE Lilja like most here do. The only improvements I could see from having Blake is mean streak/better offensvily and I would imagine if we bring Blake in Lilja would be leaving at the same time, so if Blakes a rental that would make our ability to bring up the prospects next season much easier.

He would be a massive improvement over Lilja

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Blake

Lebda-Chelios

Sounds great.

4 years ago maybe..

Now he's a former top-5 D-man who's clearly aging and who's numbers are going down every year.

To be playing on a team like LA doesn't help as well.

We don't need Rob Blake.

We don't have defensive problems.

We don't need Rob Blake.

We don't have defensive problems.

I think we could use Blake if the price was right. with rental players prices

being ridiculously high I don't see Holland going for it. it's really better to

leave prospect/draft pool intact rather than spend it for Blake.

as for defensive problems - we most certainly have some. Lilja's and

Rafalski's turnovers being the most important, and some lack of physicality

being another one.

on the side note: bent u een Amerikaans of een Nederlander? :)

I just don't like the rent-a-player scenario. Now before I get jumped on b/c that what Todd Bertuzzi was, Holland did offer him a contract to stay if I wasn't mistaken, but Anaheim offered him a better one.

Did Atlanta offer Tkachuk a contract after his brief stay with them, or was it all but determined he was, or wanted to, go back to St. Louis?

I know it worked when Doug Weight went of St. Louis to Carolina who won the Cup and back to St. Louis, but it just seems more like a 1-to-a-million shot scenarios, that's why I'm normally against it.

Not trying to knock Rob Blake whatsoever, but if it's all but a given he wants to return to the Kings after that, then I'm initially against doing such a trade.

I just don't like the rent-a-player scenario. Now before I get jumped on b/c that what Todd Bertuzzi was, Holland did offer him a contract to stay if I wasn't mistaken, but Anaheim offered him a better one.

Did Atlanta offer Tkachuk a contract after his brief stay with them, or was it all but determined he was, or wanted to, go back to St. Louis?

I know it worked when Doug Weight went of St. Louis to Carolina who won the Cup and back to St. Louis, but it just seems more like a 1-to-a-million shot scenarios, that's why I'm normally against it.

Not trying to knock Rob Blake whatsoever, but if it's all but a given he wants to return to the Kings after that, then I'm initially against doing such a trade.

I can see your point - but if we get a cup out of it, is it worth it then?

I can see your point - but if we get a cup out of it, is it worth it then?

No doubt about it, but it's just a slim chance I think as you and I seem to agree on. You could say the same about picking up trades for players who might stay for 4-5 years I know, but I just don't like the play for one team for just 2 months deal initially. It's silly I know, but I just can't shake that thought.

I would rather have Danny Markov than Blake. That's before considering how much we'd have to give up to get Blake. There is no reason we should be interested in Blake; his physical game is not what it used to be, he is TERRIBLE defensively, and he would be the fourth best offensive defenseman on the team. The only use for Blake is taking Samuelsson off the point on the PP..and Sammy might be better defensively in that slot than Blake anyway.

Actually, they were commenting on what was mentioned on Hotstove during 2nd intermission - Al stated that it would be strictly rental as Blake probably would return to LA to 'help develop' their woefull 'talent' - they really are pitiful tho Crawfish doesn't help much. Not sure Blake would bring more (or less) than Pylon at this juncture - Blake is 47th in GvA and still ranks 7th on his team (which is still more than Hank who leads us) - not much of a 'puck possession' guy (oh wait - its 'grit' he brings right?).

Classic what Al said about Tina Salami - 'if (the Wings) want to keep him off of other teams, just offer him $1M to scout....'

CBC previously had HTTP links to Hotstove, tho now you have to load their video portal and scroll to find em. Just load up the Scotty link and look for Hotstove

CBC video portal

No Point. Why get an aging D-man, besides, Lidstrom, Rafalski and Kronwall are getting lots of icetime, which means he won't be getting the same icetime in Detroit as in LA, or others suffer. It's just a matter of time until this guy throws his skates away. I'm not saying he's bad, but I'm not into this. If he's cheap and we don't throw in Kindl, Pyatt, Larsson, Axelsson or similar, then it's fine by me, otherwise we wouldn't need him. I wouldn't mess up a team that tops the league. And the Ducks suck this year.. <_<

Edited by EstonianWingsFan#1

Blake is dead weight. I am sure Kenny will add some physical dman just before the deadline.

and btw I really don't like the Ducks, but they do not suck. They will be hard opponent to play against in playoffs.

I just don't like the rent-a-player scenario.

I agree 100% about rentals returning to a stronger team after play-offs, but it's always about winning right now. That being said I'd hold onto Lilja for someone better. If we're talking about grave robbing, I'd take Foote, he could be overly agressive but I think we need that sometimes. Of course when the season ends we're missing another d-man over 6' and unless Quincy packs on the pounds we'll have one more person to push around down low. I can't stand watching our players getting out muscled in our own zone anymore, there comes a time when this mind set that skill and size can't meet in the middle or be bought has to go. I hate hearing how it doesn't matter how small our team is because they're skilled, the Ducks beat us partly because we couldn't keep them out of our end of the ice. I think we need someone more proven, this year and next, than our prospects. If we lose Lilja I won't be upset even though I think he's improved a little but Blake isn't the answer. After the Ottawa game which we lost because of two bad pk's off two bad calls, we have to ask ourselves where could we have been better. I think we got pushed all over the ice, our two way play was awful, and the inexperiece of our younger players really showed (In know Hudler had a point or two don't bring it up 'cause that's not what I;m talking about). Plus we'll still end up with Lilja or lose an active defensemen because if LA wanted Lilja they never would have traded him to us in the first place. I'm guessing by cheap, that means prospects or picks. We have a surplus of defensive prospects but I don't like giving up picks because as we can see that's where our best players have came from, especially in the salary cap era. On top of that Holland has said he'd like to resign Lilja anyways because he'd be cheap to keep around and thinks he's getting better.

Edited by KDDRWINGS1

Blake is dead weight. I am sure Kenny will add some physical dman just before the deadline.

and btw I really don't like the Ducks, but they do not suck. They will be hard opponent to play against in playoffs.

Yes, they do suck. Look at the numbers, they are near LAST in the league in scoring. They have actually given up more goals than they scored and they are on the verge of not even making the playoffs.

I'm not sure how you can say that they don't suck. There are 16 teams that make the playoffs and to be near the bottom of the pile and not being able to score more goals than you give up, well...what more needs to be said.

Last year they were good, this year they suck. Alot has changed since last year

No more Penner, McDonald, Selanne or Bryzgalov

They've been replacesd with washed up Schneider, Weight, and Bertuzzi.

Yes, they do suck. Look at the numbers, they are near LAST in the league in scoring. They have actually given up more goals than they scored and they are on the verge of not even making the playoffs.

I'm not sure how you can say that they don't suck. There are 16 teams that make the playoffs and to be near the bottom of the pile and not being able to score more goals than you give up, well...what more needs to be said.

Last year they were good, this year they suck. Alot has changed since last year

No more Penner, McDonald, Selanne or Bryzgalov

They've been replacesd with washed up Schneider, Weight, and Bertuzzi.

If you allow for games in hand, based on percentage of points available and pts earned, Aneheim squeeks in with the #8 spot just ahaead of that awesome Colorado team with an awesome .565 winning percentage.....

Ironically, we eould play them in the first round

GP Pts Pct. Proj Pts

1 Detroit * 46 70 0.761 125

2 San Jose * 43 56 0.651 107

3 Minnesota 44 52 0.591 97

4 Vancouver 44 52 0.591 97

5 Dallas 47 55 0.585 96

6 St. Louis 42 49 0.583 96

7 Calgary 45 52 0.578 95

8 Anaheim 46 52 0.565 93

9 Colorado 44 49 0.557 91

10 Phoenix 43 47 0.547 90

11 Columbus 45 48 0.533 87

12 Nashville 43 45 0.523 86

13 Edmonton 45 44 0.489 80

14 Chicago 44 42 0.477 78

15 Los Angeles 46 36 0.391 64

Guest wingswillwincup
Did anyone see the CBC clip of Cherry and Ron MacLean after the Wings Sens game tonight. Apparently it's a hot rumor right now. Discuss?

i guess im not the only one who have thought about it since i mentioned it here like a week ago ..... blake or foote here and we'd be dynamite in the back end