• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

IceMunkee

Darren McCarty Progress Thread

Rate this topic

Awsome article about him in the paper. I was stoked to see it. This is exactly what Detroit needs.

No. "Exactly what Detroit needs" is the 1997 version of McCarty.

The guy has three goals in the IHL. The IHL. Sure, he's making progress, but what makes you think he'd be any better than Drake aside from sentiment?

I like seeing him make progress too but it will be an absolute miracle if he makes it to the NHL and is productive by the time the playoffs roll around.

No. "Exactly what Detroit needs" is the 1997 version of McCarty.

The guy has three goals in the IHL. The IHL. Sure, he's making progress, but what makes you think he'd be any better than Drake aside from sentiment?

I like seeing him make progress too but it will be an absolute miracle if he makes it to the NHL and is productive by the time the playoffs roll around.

Maybe your right. Maybe it is not exactly what Detroit needs on the ice, but for the empty seats it is a push in the right direction. As far as being better then Drake, I don't know. It is hard to gauge how he played with the Gens but he looked good and fast and healthy. Drake was brought here to be a bit of an enforcer. I use that word losely, but he was brought here to through body and fight a bit. He slacks in both departments. And as far as Downey? I mean what is his purpose. He sticks up for the boys but it does not matter if noone is afraid of him.

GO MAC!!!!

Living in Alabama I wasn't fully aware of the extent to which McCarty had problems....it's great to see that he seems to have gotten things back on track! I'd love to see him make it back to the NHL. This is what I love about sports....finding out that the people you watch and admire still have problems like the rest of us, but it makes you feel so much better about things when they are successful in their endeavors.

Honestly I think that our team as it stands now is doing just fine....sure I'd like a few more "tough guys" to help against teams like Anaheim, but I don't want us to give up a lot in order to try to acquire someone at the deadline that might not pan out. That is why McCarty possibly coming back is interesting. If he can get into shape and bring the game we all know and love back then I'd be all for giving him a shot back in the NHL in time for the playoffs. If I'm not mistaken signing him as a free agent wouldn't force the organization to give up any of our other guys. I know some say he'd be better than Downey or Drake, but personally I'd love to see us keep all three in for a checking line. Playoff goals are few and far between so it'd be nice to have some guys who'd be able to keep the puck deep in the opposing team's zone and hopefully get something going for our other guys, or even put some in the net themselves! I've been watching some old highlights from the late 90s cup winning teams (97-98) and it's amazing looking at how well McCarty handled the puck. His goal against Philly where he deeked around a few defenders and Hextall (I believe he was still in net for the Flyers) to score is still my top D-Mac moment (aside from destroying Lemieux).

Regardless of whether or not you believe he deserves another shot with the Wings or if he'd be the same player, you have to be happy for the guy for turning things around in his life! From what I've always seen from him he has passion for Detroit and would love nothing more than to wear the Winged Wheel again....I know some say he is past his highest level of usefulness, but as someone was mentioning the other night, look at how Cleary has been performing in Detroit after everyone thought he was done....and they even talked about how when Chelios first arrived in Detroit everyone felt he was on the last legs of his career, but he has shown that with enough will and determination (and wonderful conditioning!) you can last a long time. Here's to hoping Darren keeps up the good work in his personal life and can make a return to the Wings (and hook up with Chelios in the off season to train)!!

I for one am very proud of you D-Mac!!

I've been very torn in this whole scenario and have really tried to stay out of it.

Do I want Mac to make it back to the NHL? HELL YES he deserves it.

Do I want him back on the Wings. In my heart oh yes and in my head its a toss up. The only guy that I think he makes expendable is Downey, because they are about the same, but Babs really likes Downey a lot.

Either way I hope he ends up in the NHL, and if its with Detroit I'll be thrilled, and if its with any other team I'll be just as happy for him as if it was with us, because he 100% deserves another shot.

I've been very torn in this whole scenario and have really tried to stay out of it.

Do I want Mac to make it back to the NHL? HELL YES he deserves it.

Do I want him back on the Wings. In my heart oh yes and in my head its a toss up. The only guy that I think he makes expendable is Downey, because they are about the same, but Babs really likes Downey a lot.

Either way I hope he ends up in the NHL, and if its with Detroit I'll be thrilled, and if its with any other team I'll be just as happy for him as if it was with us, because he 100% deserves another shot.

How does Babcock like Downie or favor him? He gets scratched more then a cat post. IMO there is nothing to be torn about, Mac can win fights...

People harping on McCarty's 3 goals in the IHL in 9 games (omitting his points for assists) have overlooked the fact that that could roughly translate into a few points every 15 games in the NHL, which is better than Drake and Downey, and if he can still fight (which, frankly, who knows), that's a plus.

Now, let's look at all of the bonuses and decide if McCarty is worth it:

1) The Prodigal Son returns storyline carrying into th eplayoffs (if he makes it in time), he's always been one to thrive with pressure and excitement around him. Would benefit the team.

2) Puts butts in the seats. Enough said.

3) Grinding style of play. Would work well against a team like Anaheim in controlling the puck and breaking up their cycling.

4) Point producer. With limited ice team he won't make a huge impact, but I think we can still expect timely goals once in a while and certainly some assists. I'd say he could finish a full season with at least 20 points, which is all that is expected of a 4th line grinder at this point.

5) The will and the drive. That personality clicks with the current Detroit team. It's all about willpower and determination and drive.

6) A fighter who can win. This is a mixed bag. Maybe he's not the best fighter any more, so this shouldn't go here, but then again, maybe if he's back in shape he will be a decent fighter, and so it should be listed as a pro.

7) Cheap depth with a reliable history in the playoffs.

CONS:

1) Well...I can't think of any. If he made it the Wings he'd obviously be in shape, so I can't critique his current phyusical state.

ALl in all looks like a McCarty deal would pay huge dividends for what it would cost.

Being back by trade deadline is quite a bit to ask for.

20 points is also quite a bit to ask for. Remember when Bertuzzi got here? His total points projected over the whole season since he got here could not be much higher than 20.

And he's an offensive player. McCarty is a grinder.

Regarding tonight's Mac fight...the dude he drilled had delivered a big-time slash (for which he got 5 minutes)...Mac jumped him and drilled him, then they went down in a heap (it was during a face-off) with the linesman jumping in (the Kalamazoo player had turtled), then another Kalamazoo player jumped on Mac, and a big jam pile ensued. Mac was really ticked when they finally pried him up. :thumbup: He had a couple good scoring chances and a couple good hits tonight, too.

To those carping about "his points in the IHL mean nothing to the NHL level"...true in many respects, but can you imagine how PUMPED Mac would be if he made it back to Joe Louis ice? I think he would be motivated TONS more than he already is here in the minors. JLA would be rocking (unlike the snooze crowds there now)!

Edited by JackMallory

Regarding tonight's Mac fight...the dude he drilled had delivered a big-time slash (for which he got 5 minutes)...Mac jumped him and drilled him, then they went down in a heap (it was during a face-off) with the linesman jumping in (the Kalamazoo player had turtled), then another Kalamazoo player jumped on Mac, and a big jam pile ensued. Mac was really ticked when they finally pried him up. :thumbup: He had a couple good scoring chances and a couple good hits tonight, too.

To those carping about "his points in the IHL mean nothing to the NHL level"...true in many respects, but can you imagine how PUMPED Mac would be if he made it back to Joe Louis ice? I think he would be motivated TONS more than he already is here in the minors. JLA would be rocking (unlike the snooze crowds there now)!

Thanks Jack I have been refreashing for an hour hoping you would post. Were any punches thrown in the scrum? I agree, Mac would be pumped and hits and motivation would ensue. Thanks again Jack

How would people like the team if it was Forsberg, MAC, and Blake?? We really wouldn't give up much.

From what I read Forsberg only wants about 2.4 million per season. That's very reasonable. Add Sergi and you've got a deal!

Well I'm glad to hear he can still fight (as thats arguably his greatest asset to any team he may be on), and if he's playing Homer-like positions now, that might boost up our 3rd line scoring, because the goalie and defensemen will have to deal with Mac in front, giving room for Hudler and Kopecki or whoever he may pair up with some more room to skate.