• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

IceMunkee

Darren McCarty Progress Thread

Rate this topic

I know that I am a nah sayer about Mac's return to winged wheel, but it was recommended we start a new thread just keeping track of him.

My friend, my daughter and I drove an hour or so to see Mac play in flint. I was throughly impressed with his energy on the ice. He looked good, probably the most dominant force on the ice, though I don't know much about the General's. He had an awsome goal that he risked his body to put in the net and a nice assist on a really weak goal. He is already an icon there. He will do great in that league. Unfortunately he did not fight but I don't think that is his role on the Gen's. He play's in front of the net alot like Homer does for the wings. You can tell he brings leadership to the team and you might like to know that he is not the oldest on the Gen's. The team is mostly youngin's but there is an Assistant Cap that looks upper thirties.

Mac skated with his family after the game during an open skate, holding his youngest, his daughter and son in tow. His middle daughter played in a shootout during the 1st intermission and was the only skater to score all attempted goals. Her team is the Birmingham Grinders. After his skate he came out and signed autographs to a line of fans. Talking with each. He spent probably a minute and a half talking with my five year old, who knows almost everything about Darren due to dadd and an uncle force feeding her info and making her watch the DVD's. She signed a Jersey and picture for her and her mother. He talked with me a bit and I wished him luck and "hoped" he would be in red and white soon.

If you have never went to see a Gen's game and live reasonably close check them out. The environment is great and it is pretty good hockey with some great hits. The crowd rivals the rowdiest I have seen in a while. Ribbing the opposing goaltender and doing chants. The have fun contest everygame like chuck the puck where you try to hit the target. Then they have kids run all over the ice to pick them up. Every game they have some exciting fan attraction. Believe it or not the seats are better then the Joe's and all concessions are fairly priced besides the pizza!

So this is the start, let's keep tabs on Big Mac. Regardless of wether we think he can make it or not, we can well wish. This thread is not to discuss opinions on if he can or cannot. Just to keep focus on what he does. I will call my buddy and have him post some pics in here as well.

*Edit* sorry I spelt his name wrong in the title if one of the admin guys could fix it that would be awsome.... SORRY!!!!

Edited by IceMunkee

I just got back home from the Flint Generals game tonight and after seeing Darren play, I have to honestly say he has a shot at making the Wings, although it's a long one. He was physical and he had another goal and an assist tonight. He seems to play almost a Holmstrom like role with the Generals. He parks himself in front of the net, screens the goalie, moves the D out of the way and tries to shovel in rebounds. His skating is still pretty weak but that was never his strong point. All I can say is I wish him the best.

There's already multiple threads about him. Why make another one...keeping track of him in one of those won't hurt.

Becuase it was recommended in the other thread. Why does it really matter the other thread is a debate on wether he should be in or not. You could just not visit...

I know that I am a nah sayer about Mac's return to winged wheel, but it was recommended we start a new thread just keeping track of him.

My friend, my daughter and I drove an hour or so to see Mac play in flint. I was throughly impressed with his energy on the ice. He looked good, probably the most dominant force on the ice, though I don't know much about the General's. He had an awsome goal that he risked his body to put in the net and a nice assist on a really weak goal. He is already an icon there. He will do great in that league. Unfortunately he did not fight but I don't think that is his role on the Gen's. He play's in front of the net alot like Homer does for the wings. You can tell he brings leadership to the team and you might like to know that he is not the oldest on the Gen's. The team is mostly youngin's but there is an Assistant Cap that looks upper thirties.

Mac skated with his family after the game during an open skate, holding his youngest, his daughter and son in tow. His middle daughter played in a shootout during the 1st intermission and was the only skater to score all attempted goals. Her team is the Birmingham Grinders. After his skate he came out and signed autographs to a line of fans. Talking with each. He spent probably a minute and a half talking with my five year old, who knows almost everything about Darren due to dadd and an uncle force feeding her info and making her watch the DVD's. She signed a Jersey and picture for her and her mother. He talked with me a bit and I wished him luck and "hoped" he would be in red and white soon.

If you have never went to see a Gen's game and live reasonably close check them out. The environment is great and it is pretty good hockey with some great hits. The crowd rivals the rowdiest I have seen in a while. Ribbing the opposing goaltender and doing chants. The have fun contest everygame like chuck the puck where you try to hit the target. Then they have kids run all over the ice to pick them up. Every game they have some exciting fan attraction. Believe it or not the seats are better then the Joe's and all concessions are fairly priced besides the pizza!

So this is the start, let's keep tabs on Big Mac. Regardless of wether we think he can make it or not, we can well wish. This thread is not to discuss opinions on if he can or cannot. Just to keep focus on what he does. I will call my buddy and have him post some pics in here as well.

*Edit* sorry I spelt his name wrong in the title if one of the admin guys could fix it that would be awsome.... SORRY!!!!

:thumbup: Great post.

:lol: I'm gonna go make a Hasek thread now!

Put something in there about Robert Lang and his play last year too ok?

I think it was overlooked during the past season, but did any of you guys ever notice that sometimes, somehow, Lang often gave the appearance or perception that he was not playing each shift to the pinnacle of his abilities and talent?

Lets get real , The wings are going to need someone with balls to help them finish this season , I was hoping McCarty would have tried to come back to the wings last year ,But maybee he will be back next year? Good Luck MAC

I'm glad to hear that he is playing well.

I was thinking about making the drive up to try and see him play. I have not seen him play in some time and always use to enjoy the energy that he brought with him to the game. I'm glad to hear that he still has the energy in him and i hope it rubs off on the young guys in his dressing room.

What a great opportunity for those kids to play with someone who spent some quality time in the NHL. I hope that they really take advantage of his knowledge of the game.

Just wondering, how much is a ticket?

I'm glad to hear that he is playing well.

I was thinking about making the drive up to try and see him play. I have not seen him play in some time and always use to enjoy the energy that he brought with him to the game. I'm glad to hear that he still has the energy in him and i hope it rubs off on the young guys in his dressing room.

What a great opportunity for those kids to play with someone who spent some quality time in the NHL. I hope that they really take advantage of his knowledge of the game.

Just wondering, how much is a ticket?

The absolute most you will pay is $12. Active duty military are free, kids for $7 and there are $10 seats. It is really worth a trip, even if Mac was not playing but it does make it a bit better...

The absolute most you will pay is $12. Active duty military are free, kids for $7 and there are $10 seats. It is really worth a trip, even if Mac was not playing but it does make it a bit better...

I'm glad you enjoyed the game. Regarding the crowd/noise factor...actually that was a pretty dead crowd. Maybe the fans were as tired as the players who were all playing their fourth game in five nights. Welcome to the minors, Mac! :lol:

Tickets start at $10. It's an old barn but a good one to watch a game in. Lots of great standing room.

Bloomington is in Illinois...a long, boring drive away. My brother lives there, so I've been there and have lived to tell you the drive is enough to put you into a coma. Prairie....bleh.

So Mac now has two goals and two assists and one fight in four games. Not bad for all the time he has been off. Muskegon's goalie was awesome...he faced about 50 shots. Flint would have had a 4-1 lead at the end of the first period if not for him.

I'm glad you enjoyed the game. Regarding the crowd/noise factor...actually that was a pretty dead crowd. Maybe the fans were as tired as the players who were all playing their fourth game in five nights. Welcome to the minors, Mac! :lol:

Tickets start at $10. It's an old barn but a good one to watch a game in. Lots of great standing room.

Bloomington is in Illinois...a long, boring drive away. My brother lives there, so I've been there and have lived to tell you the drive is enough to put you into a coma. Prairie....bleh.

So Mac now has two goals and two assists and one fight in four games. Not bad for all the time he has been off. Muskegon's goalie was awesome...he faced about 50 shots. Flint would have had a 4-1 lead at the end of the first period if not for him.

Ive never heard anyone say Muskegons goalie was awesome before in my life.

Both of them suck so bad.

Pool. He truly was great! Faced a ton of shots and had some really great saves. He was fun to watch.

POOL!!!

Wow, he is horrible, he must of drank the Hasek juice that all of a sudden elevates there play to a new level

LMAO! Yeah it was pool. We told him he sucked alot but he did not suck. If only they could bottle up that Hasek juice.... We could make a fortune!!!!!

Munkee,

Great Post and thanks for moving mine from the other thread. I think your analysis is spot on. The photo's will have to wait until tomorrow as I forgot to grab the memory card. Check back tomorrow evening.

JackMallory,

You have a great team and a great building there in Flint. Really entertaining product, the second period was kind of boring but the first, third, and espically OT were amazing. I was guilty of giving Pool plenty of sh*t this evening, :sly: but I must admit he was excellent today. 47 saves and many were second or third chances. He didn't give up on the play once and was acrobatic. His only "classless" move was during overtime, twice he kicked the net from it's moorings because he thought he was going to get scored on.

There's already multiple threads about him. Why make another one...keeping track of him in one of those won't hurt.

Because there is so much redundant BS regarding wether he can make it or not bla bla bla. The fact of the matter is he is up off his ass, not complaining about having lost it all and blown the one life he's got to live. He's at it taking the first steps. And so far it sounds like some people are getting to see some good hockey because of it. I am very interested in his progress, and obviously I'm not the only one. The more I say he cannot do it, the more I believe there is absolutely no way, the more the door seems to grudgingly creek open ever so slightly. Its a huge door, on broken rusty hinges, but stranger frikin things have happenned.

If anyone wants to ***** about me suggesting a new thread and this thread Icemunkee started (and its all good if thats your opinion), just please do me huge favor, email me or start another thread called "WHo is this frikin T.Low Butthead", but don't do it here. Let these guys mark Mac for the fans that are interested, its a fan forum, he was beloved a Wing as there ever was, let the thread run. :thumbup:

Sweet first post, IceMunkee. Perfect. That sounds like a lot of fun to have seen. Thanks for the heads up. If he busts himself tomorrow and its done, sounds like he gave it hell.

Can't wait to see that Hasek thread. Kinda the whole point of the forum in the first place, isn't it?

Edited by T.Low

BTW, the Generals store had some really nice 8 X 10, autographed McCarty pictures (I believe they were taken during last Friday's home game).

When it comes to Pool and the net coming off...the first time he didn't directly knock it off but he shoved the Generals player so hard against it (holding him) that the Flint player knocked it off. The second time was blatantly Pool's intent. I sit right behind that goal.

I don't know if any of you Wings fans who were there last night was this guy, but there was a guy sitting down near some friends of mine in Section 18 with a McCarty jersey on, and he was just about beside himself with joy all night to be able to see McCarty play again. :clap::hehe:

BTW, the Generals store had some really nice 8 X 10, autographed McCarty pictures (I believe they were taken during last Friday's home game).

When it comes to Pool and the net coming off...the first time he didn't directly knock it off but he shoved the Generals player so hard against it (holding him) that the Flint player knocked it off. The second time was blatantly Pool's intent. I sit right behind that goal.

I don't know if any of you Wings fans who were there last night was this guy, but there was a guy sitting down near some friends of mine in Section 18 with a McCarty jersey on, and he was just about beside himself with joy all night to be able to see McCarty play again. :clap::hehe:

LOL we were also right behind the net, I was in section 2 row D. I was wearing a McCarty Jersey and my friend and I were chanting, Pool....Pool....Pool YOU SUCK!

I did see the pictures, they were very nice, although I thought they were a bit pricy considering I was able to walk downstairs and wait 20min for Mac to come out and sign an 8x10 and my Jersey for free, not to mention take a picture, What a great guy!

SWEET! I wasn't literally that guy in Section 18, but I'm that guy alright. :D