• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hank

Mike Green is looking very good

Rate this topic

I guess this is an obvious question, but watching how well Mike Green of the Caps is playing it sure makes that Lang deal look bad.

I understand that Kenny had to do what he had to do, but I'm glad to see that in the last couple of years, we aren't throwing away our 1st rounders as much. Especially when the last few drafts have been quite fruitful.

Mike Green on our blueline would sure look great. He's a right-handed shot, can skate, hit, has a great offensive skill set and is sound defensively.

green is fast becoming a star in this city, and while becoming a star in the lineup of caps isnt a tough job, he has been stepping up as a PP playmaker and can shoot the puck nicely too. He's shaping up to be a good player.

well when you trade for the nhl points leader (at that time of the year Lang was.) you have to give up alot to get him. I still think i would have made the same deal. lang was one of the best center-man that year and we were in desperate need for one. I think that if we would have won a cup with lang everyone would change their opinions on him.

How can you possibly say Mike Green would look good on our blueline when there is no way of even knowing whether or not the Red Wings would have drafted him with that pick? It's not like we dealt him as one of our prospects. I, for one, do not think we would've taken him anyway. We had plenty of Dmen already in our system at that point. In 2000 we drafted Kronwall. In 2001 we got Bykov. Meech and Ericsson were selected in 2002. Quincey was picked in 2003. In addition we had Fischer already being groomed by Chelios to be a future leader on our blue line. Not to mention our first 2 picks in the '04 draft were forwards.

Would Green look nice on our blue line? Absolutely! But who knows whether or not we would've even taken him with a prospect pool filled with decent defenseman already...Getting upset over who you COULD'VE drafted makes as much sense as getting upset over who you SHOULD'VE traded for.

coulda...woulda...shoulda <_<

Even if we had drafted him...there's a good chance he wouldn't be on the roster right now. He wasn'tgood enough to earn a spot on the Caps blueline in 2005-06. Our defense this season includes six ofour top seven from last season, plus Derek Meech. The only chance Green had is if he was THAT GOOD that he forced the team to put him on the roster. Green is no better than Kronwall, Lidstrom, or Rafalski offensively, so he wouldn't have seen much PP time and would not have been used in a major role even if he were in the top six. I guess I just don't see what kind of impact he would have on our team for the next few years that can't be duplicated by, say...Lebda, Meech, Kindl, or Quincey.

How can you possibly say Mike Green would look good on our blueline when there is no way of even knowing whether or not the Red Wings would have drafted him with that pick? It's not like we dealt him as one of our prospects. I, for one, do not think we would've taken him anyway. We had plenty of Dmen already in our system at that point. In 2000 we drafted Kronwall. In 2001 we got Bykov. Meech and Ericsson were selected in 2002. Quincey was picked in 2003. In addition we had Fischer already being groomed by Chelios to be a future leader on our blue line. Not to mention our first 2 picks in the '04 draft were forwards.

Would Green look nice on our blue line? Absolutely! But who knows whether or not we would've even taken him with a prospect pool filled with decent defenseman already...Getting upset over who you COULD'VE drafted makes as much sense as getting upset over who you SHOULD'VE traded for.

coulda...woulda...shoulda <_<

You're absolutely right. Afterall, we had so many dmen in our cupboard already the Wings decided to draft a forward this past spring. Oops. That's right, we drafted Brad Smith didn't we?

You're absolutely right. Afterall, we had so many dmen in our cupboard already the Wings decided to draft a forward this past spring. Oops. That's right, we drafted Brad Smith didn't we?

no we didn't

No...but we did draft Brendan Smith. With Quincey and Meech getting chances with the big club last season and this season, wouldn't it make sense to draft another Dman??? You do have to replace people. Green would've been drafted when none of our D prospects even had a chance in the AHL.

Edited by WhiteLightning91

People might have short wicks because it's a thread basically digging for more reasons to hate Lang or at least characterize him as a colossal mistake.

That wasn't my intention in the least and I don't beleive I wrote one bad word about Lang in my initial thread.

All I was saying is that Green would like nice in red and white. What's wrong with discussing hypothetical issues?

No...but we did draft Brendan Smith. With Quincey and Meech getting chances with the big club last season and this season, wouldn't it make sense to draft another Dman??? You do have to replace people. Green would've been drafted when none of our D prospects even had a chance in the AHL.

Your logic still makes no sense. Our defensive cupboard has never been more packed and we still drafted Smith. It has absolutely nothing to do with making sure our AHL team has enough Dmen, which is a ridiculous concept - teams draft for their big clubs not their farm teams. If the Wings need help on the farm they'll sign guys in the offseason like they did with Norton and others.

The Wings, like most teams don't draft for need but rather the best player available.

And since Holland and company know that dmen are at a premium they'll continue to draft quality dmen and worry about the log jam later.

You gotta love LGW. Every post is an invitation to an argument. You could say "I think air is great" and you'd get half a dozen posts telling you off saying that air is overrated or how air sucks because one time you got punched in the stomach and lost all of it - where were you then air! Huh? Huh??!?!?!

Picked him up on my fantasy team a couple weeks ago :) Him and Kronwall are making my D look respectable finally.

Me too. He's been dynamite. Not like that bum Carle! What a nightmare season he's having. (again, an invititation for people to jump down my throat) "Carle is the best player who's ever lived! He hasn't been a nightmare in the least! Lots of guys love to draft dmen in their fantasy pools that are on pace for 20 points!!!!"

Edited by Hank

That wasn't my intention in the least and I don't beleive I wrote one bad word about Lang in my initial thread.

All I was saying is that Green would like nice in red and white. What's wrong with discussing hypothetical issues?

Your initial post:

I guess this is an obvious question, but watching how well Mike Green of the Caps is playing it sure makes that Lang deal look bad.

You don't see how this would be a great starting off point for pointing out yet again how much Lang sucks?

Beyond that, there's plenty of hypothetical debates here. I don't have a problem with many of them, but draft picks are extremely hindsight 20/20 though, because drafting in the NHL is such a crapshoot. And this is another level removed because it's assuming that the Wings would've even drafted Green. It's implying that Lang cost us Green, which is not exactly the case.

Your initial post:

You don't see how this would be a great starting off point for pointing out yet again how much Lang sucks?

Beyond that, there's plenty of hypothetical debates here. I don't have a problem with many of them, but draft picks are extremely hindsight 20/20 though, because drafting in the NHL is such a crapshoot. And this is another level removed because it's assuming that the Wings would've even drafted Green. It's implying that Lang cost us Green, which is not exactly the case.

I understand your point, but this is done all the time around the NHL. And not just by clueless armchair GM's like myself. I've heard countless commentators, journalists and even other NHL GM's say "What if?" when talking about deals that involved draft picks which turned into HOF players.

How many times have we heard people lambast the rest of the NHL for watching Lidstrom, Fedorov, Konstantinov (among others) slip by?

Again, I never once said that Lang sucks, only that when you compare what we got to what Washington made of the deal, it would be nice to have Green on our side.

I also made sure to say that I understood why Kenny made the deal. I would have made it at that time too.

Edited by Hank

Mike Greens defensive game is pretty poor.

Who knows if we would have drafted Green. Hes definitely not Hollands type of player as is.

Lang was the leading scorer at the time. It took a lot to get him.

Its not like were in desperate need of offensive defenseman, now or in the future.

If we did have Mike Green, hed still be playing for the Griffins right now.

Adding Lang was a good deal, considering he did exactly what we signed him to do for at least two years - provide offense and show up for the playoffs. It was the rest of the team that was the offensive bust in the playoffs, not Lang.

And finally, there are a billion and a half scenarios out there where teams draft good players with other teams picks. Happens every draft year. Its part of the game, and believe it or not, Detroit has done it too.

Your initial post:

No kidding, it would be a little different had the Wings actually traded Green to the Caps. They traded the pick, there is nothing to say they would have even selected him with their 29th overall pick.

People might have short wicks because it's a thread basically digging for more reasons to hate Lang or at least characterize him as a colossal mistake.

Weird, i didnt see this that way at all. In his initial post which you quoted it more makes it seem the deal was bad, not lang. I see this thread geared more toward announcing green's achievements and making a name for himself here in DC.

might just be different styles of reading the post harold :rolleyes: