• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Son of a Wing

Downie in the spotlight again......

Rate this topic

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="373"></embed></object>&">
name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="373"></embed></object>&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Nothing too bad. Probably should have been a 2 min minor. Nothing more. The only reason it's being discussed is because it is Downey and Olesz got hurt.

Anyone disagree?

I didn't see what the issue was at all, when I had the volume off. After turning the volume up, I guess the issue is if the hit was late or not (after the whistle). I don't see the hit as being late at all, how could he stop the hit? It wasn't that long after the whistle. Shouldn't even have been a 2 minute penalty.

I agree with you thoughts though, the only reason it is being discussed is because it's Downie. Hits just after the whistle happen ALL THE TIME, in almost every game I would bet. Rarely are they even called for a penatly.

I agree with you thoughts though, the only reason it is being discussed is because it's Downie. Hits just after the whistle happen ALL THE TIME, in almost every game I would bet. Rarely are they even called for a penatly.

Yeah I agree, after I watched it a couple more times even a penalty would be questionable. Just following through on a check.

And he put his hands up right after and looked to the ref saying he didn't mean to..

Whether he meant to or not is completely irrelevant. You're judged on your actions not your intentions.

Aaron Downey spells his name with a "Y" and Steve Downie is with an "IE". I only mention it because someone else recently started a topic with the same error that led to some confusion.

I didn't see that as anything malicious, he was finishing a check (a clean one at that). It was one of those hits that happens 5-10 times a game and usually results in a scrum, but not usually penalties. I think two factors went into this, it is Steve Downie, and the player got hurt.

If it is Chris Gratton and the player bounces right back up, we are not even talking about this today.

Whether he meant to or not is completely irrelevant. You're judged on your actions not your intentions.

don't they have an "intent to injure" penalty, which is assessed whether the player is hurt or not? alternatively, if a player is hurt on a clean hit, the hitter is not assigned a penalty simply because his check got hurt, so long as the referee judges that he didn't INTEND to hurt the other player.....

It was a little late - but as Bob McKenzie mentioned last night, Downie is deaf if one ear and has to wear a hearing aid constantly. That could explain him not hearing the whistle.

Nevertheless, it was a bit late. I would have given him 2 min. No more.

Guest jaytan

I feel like getting under a sheet and crying "LEAVE DOWNIE ALONE!" on Youtube. Cut the guy a break.

I feel like getting under a sheet and crying "LEAVE DOWNIE ALONE!" on Youtube. Cut the guy a break.

I agree, well except the sheet thing, if this was his first incident no mention of this anywhere, anything he does for the next couple of years will be viewed under a microscope, someone should make sure to let him know that.

The better story of that game is Hartnell getting manhandled twice by non-fighters that he picked fights with, Zednik and Olli Jokinen, yes...Olli Jokinen.

f*** Hartnell,

esteef

I watched bits of the game. It was Jokinen's second game in a row with a fight. The Philly broadcasters made a huge deal about him leading by example and getting his team going. I was really disappointed that Hartnell wussed out on fighting Horton... but I shouldn't be surprised either.

Downie's hit on McAmmond was one of the dirtiest things I've seen in a while.

However, this hit was a perfectly clean and legal play...and a nice hit at that. Downie seems to be getting the Bryan Marhcment treatment here; he's got a reputation as a dirty player, so even if he hits someone cleanly, if they don't get up right away it was obviously dirty and intent to injure and he needs to be banned.

It's like when Marchment wrecked Doug Weight cleanly at open ice.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
Downie's hit on McAmmond was one of the dirtiest things I've seen in a while.

However, this hit was a perfectly clean and legal play...and a nice hit at that. Downie seems to be getting the Bryan Marhcment treatment here; he's got a reputation as a dirty player, so even if he hits someone cleanly, if they don't get up right away it was obviously dirty and intent to injure and he needs to be banned.

It's like when Marchment wrecked Doug Weight cleanly at open ice.

The best part about Weight/Marchment was Weight clotheslining Marchment and giving him a good working over afterwards. One of the reasons I always loved Doug Weight, aside from him being a USA guy, was that if you kept at him, he wouldn't take your s*** for very long and would blow a gasket and try to ream you if he could.