• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Kp-Wings

Blackhawks re-sign Sharp to 4-year extension

Rate this topic

As per TSN

The Chicago Blackhawks have signed forward Patrick Sharp to a four-year contract extension worth US$15.6-million.

Sharp, who was picked up by Chicago from Philadelphia three years ago in a trade, has a career high 22 goals and 36 points this season and leads the NHL in shorthanded goals with seven. He needs three more shorthanded goals to tie the Blackhawks record for most shorthanded goals in a season with 10 which was set by Dirk Graham in the 1988-89 season.

"We're very excited about having Patrick Sharp in the fold for the next four years," said General Manager Dale Tallon about the deal which will cost the Blackhawks $3.9-million a year under the salary cap.

"His play and his attitude have been outstanding and he has taken on a real leadership role with our team. We feel that Patrick is an integral part of the future of our team."

The Thunder Bay, Ontario native says he's excited about the opportunity to continue playing hockey in Chicago.

"I love the city of Chicago and the Chicago fans and I want to be here for a long time. I feel that our team has improved and continues to get better. Team success is a product of individual success and I will do everything I can to help bring a championship to the city of Chicago."

In 240 career NHL games, Sharp has scored 61 goals and tallied 109 points.

When you see signings like this it makes me very happy for the front office we have. A guy has his first strong year in the NHL and you throw 4 mil at him.

Speaking of Bert has he earned his $4,000,000.

I don't know, but I bet he used a permanent marker to sign it.

Good "point". Whether or not he's being overpaid, theres no denying this was a sharp move for the Hawks. Can you imagine if Patrick Sharp fought Tanner Glass on Florida? The linesmen would be wise to stay away and not break that one up.

3.9 will be a steal if Sharp keeps this up. Hes one of those guys thats floating around just oustide the area of "power forward" in todays NHL terms. He hits, fights, scorts, plays PK, plays PP, and is apparently a great character guy and a hardworker. Hell hit 30 goals easy and has how many shorties already?

This is a good deal for Chicago hands down. This guy is just entering his prime..

Wondering how much this impacts the Cleary extension negotiations...

Hopefully, it not at all. The best situation would be that Cleary would want to win enough and stay on the team that gave him a chance and revitilized his career that he wouldn't ask for a boatload of money, allowing the Wings to have cap room to sign Zetterberg and address any other needs during free agency.

Of course, he may want more money, too much in fact...

Edited by Kp-Wings