• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WhiteLightning91

Coyotes Ink Bryzgalov To Extension

Rate this topic

TSN

The Phoenix Coyotes and goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov have agreed to terms on a three-year contract extension.

Sources tell TSN the deal breaks down as $4 million in the first year, $4.25 million in the second and $4.5 million in the third.

The 27-year-old former Anaheim Duck was claimed off waivers back in November and has paid big dividends.

Bryzgalov is 16-10-2 with a 2.38 GAA over his 28 games with the Coyotes this season. He was scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1st.

Too much? Just right?

Your thoughts...

I think it's not too bad. Bryzgalov is going to be a big cornerstone for them. They have no real goaltending prospects (that I know of) and having him in net has already made a huge difference to the team. I see this as recognition of his importance, a good move.

Great move for them.

I would have tired to talk him into a performanced laced deal. He is playing great but they still don't know how he is going be at the end of the season. He has not been a full time starter before. Hope he can keep up the good play.

Good move by Phoenix for letting Bryzgalov play some games first before signing him long term, unlike the Leafs who sign goalies long term before they even play a game in Toronto :lol:

Or that beauty move by the Kings signing Cloutier to that deal after one pre-season game. That one panned out well!

Edited by al48

I think it's not too bad. Bryzgalov is going to be a big cornerstone for them. They have no real goaltending prospects (that I know of) and having him in net has already made a huge difference to the team. I see this as recognition of his importance, a good move.

Josh Tordjman has been doing well in San Antonio for the Coyotes. He's still probably a season or so off before he'd start making NHL noise, so I expect the Bryzgalov/Tellqvist tandem to stick around at least for another season.

Otherwise, there's also David LeNeveu, who's great as a minor leaguer but can't seem to hold onto an NHL job for whatever reason...

Finally the Yotes have a goaltender who can actually be nr. 1 consistently. Tellqvist is decent enough to be able to pick up some games during the season. All in all a good move. Cost them a bit perhaps but like you guys say, Phoenix doesn't really have much of choice here.

Great move for them.

I would have tired to talk him into a performanced laced deal. He is playing great but they still don't know how he is going be at the end of the season. He has not been a full time starter before. Hope he can keep up the good play.

Performance deal wouldn't be allowed for him under CBA. He would have gotten more as UFA, imo.