• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hckypete96

nhl on versus for 3 more years

Rate this topic

I don't mind versus that much anymore...other then the fact that the rest of the crap they show sucks (IMO). ESPN on the other hand, has sometimes quality sports programming so I really wish they would show it instead. Either way, glad the NHL is on tv nationally somewhere.

Why is everyone (not necessarily here) always down on versus broadcasting the NHL? I think the games are in great quality and I always watch - even with NHL CI. I guess some of the analysts could be annoying but I dont rely on them for my game analysis.

Also, I remember when ESPN would show games and it always seemed conflicting (to ESPN) because hockey was not a sport they embraced. If only ESPN was more like TSN...

What other network would be better for the fans and the sport? Realistically I mean....

Thanks

erok

What other network would be better for the fans and the sport? Realistically I mean....

:clap:

For the people that hate VS with a passion, what are the better alternatives then if you don't like it?

VS is definitely better than no network contract at all, and most of us should be humbled that most of us are able to get Versus and/or NHL Center Ice to get games.

Some people only get Versus.

Some can't even get that and are delegated to just NHL Radio or ESPN 360 or something.

AGAIN, be thankful we get something at least.

I hate versus. They suck and i don't even get the channel unless i upgrade to the digital package. And of course i'm to cheap to do that.

Have you seen the channel or do you just hate it because you cant have it??

I guess I dont understand why everybody hates VS so much... do they not show enough wrestling or poker?

Guest jaytan

I've given up on the NHL being treated as a mainstream sport in the US again, but I just wish Versus would show games at better times and on better days. Mondays and Tuesdays at 4:00 in the afternoon doesn't work for me. We need games on at primetime and on the weekends.

I am OK with Versus. They're getting better. CI is too expensive, so I may have to give it up, since the NHL Network is going to steal the good games anyway, if they get their way, and NHLN isn't offered here. We shall see... VS may be all I get next season.

I don't mind Versus TOO much these days, if only because I get a nice HD feed. Still can't stand their PbP or in-studio talking heads (looking at you, Engblom). But I'm watching for the game itself and not them, so it's not a bad deal.

Versus = :thumbdown:

Versus is certainly better than nothing, but IMHO the NHL won't have any mainstream respectability until they are back to being a regular fixture on ESPN.

For some, Versus is all the hockey they get to see, or that they can afford. I never minded ESPN. Of course, I live in a hockey-starved market, so I am not able to compare with the great coverage Detroit area fans enjoy. I can see why Motown locals didn't think it was so great, ESPN was fine with me. Before the lockout, I got 40+ Wings games in one season. For free. On regular cable. Didn't even have to pay for digital cable in order to see games.

It's not Versus' fault that the NHL has screwed everything up. Instead of making hockey more available to the regular fan, they've made it pretty much impossible for even the most devoted fans to watch games, regardless of the money spent and effort expended.

Given that there are approximately 12 of us Wings fans here in Austin who are affected, I don't expect things to change soon. <_<

For some, Versus is all the hockey they get to see, or that they can afford. I never minded ESPN. Of course, I live in a hockey-starved market, so I am not able to compare with the great coverage Detroit area fans enjoy. I can see why Motown locals didn't think it was so great, ESPN was fine with me. Before the lockout, I got 40+ Wings games in one season. For free. On regular cable. Didn't even have to pay for digital cable in order to see games.

It's not Versus' fault that the NHL has screwed everything up. Instead of making hockey more available to the regular fan, they've made it pretty much impossible for even the most devoted fans to watch games, regardless of the money spent and effort expended.

Given that there are approximately 12 of us Wings fans here in Austin who are affected, I don't expect things to change soon. <_<

I hear you. That is why I said that Versus is certainly better than nothing. Also, Versus is not really to blame for the NHL's problems (although their coverage is another story). I just feel that a web of questionable decisions has dragged the NHL down. Not being on a visible, national, well-appreciated sports-dedicated network (i.e. ESPN) is a marketing blunder that Bettman and his lackeys seem unwilling to undo.

I hear you. That is why I said that Versus is certainly better than nothing. Also, Versus is not really to blame for the NHL's problems (although their coverage is another story). I just feel that a web of questionable decisions has dragged the NHL down. Not being on a visible, national, well-appreciated sports-dedicated network (i.e. ESPN) is a marketing blunder that Bettman and his lackeys seem unwilling to undo.

exactly so. Not only unwilling to undo, but they actually seem to be trying to make things worse. To what end, I couldn't even guess.

what are the better alternatives then if you don't like it?

Fox Sports maybe.

I realize that there are those of you who don't live here and need VS to be able to get the games, and I am glad that there is something out there so you can see them. But for those of us who live here, I would much rather watch our local announcers announce the game. I'll be honest, I haven't seen VS yet so I don't really have an opinion of it yet, but I will be getting it soon, so I'm sure I will have one. But what aggravates me about the whole situation is having to upgrade my satellite package just to get it.

It used to be on UPN 50 and I paid $200 to get my antennae fixed so I could get it up in my area. Almost immediately after that, it went to ESPN so I get the basic satellite package so I could get them, then it switches to Fox Sports so I have to upgrade to Americas Top 200 package with my satellite so I could get them, now they are starting to go to VS so I am going to have to upgrade to Americas Top 250 package with my satellite to see the playoffs (completely missed last years playoffs due to this) and some games. What's next? It's not going to be long before we are having to get the everything packages with our cable/satellite companies just to see the games, we're going to have to have the packages that include HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Stars, and we will also probably have to add Center Ice.

I'll tell you what, I am almost getting priced out of hockey. I'll continue to follow it, but if the NHL keeps up the programming pattern they are on, eventually I won't be able to afford (nor want) the cable/satellite package required just to get the games.

Bettman is always trying to figure out how to get more butts in the seats and up the fan base. Here's an idea, make the games a little more accessible. It costs too much for anybody to just stumble upon it and become a new fan, you have to be a fan to begin with to chase it down.

So, I don't really have any problems with VS (yet, I'll let you know after I get it and see a few games on it), but I do have a problem with the moving target that is the programming schedule. And I have a problem with continuously having to upgrade my satellite just to keep up with it.

If VS wants to carry some games that's fine (and good for those who can only see the games on VS), but there should be a way that Fox Sports can broadcast them too for us local yocals, that's all I'm saying.

Edit to add response:

For some, Versus is all the hockey they get to see, or that they can afford.

I have heard that there are some cable and satellite packages that VS is in the lower package, but the buggers I'm getting mine from only have it in the Top 250 package, so I have to pay even more to get it. However, I am glad that you get it with yours, I can't imagine being a Wings fan out of state, and not getting to watch the games regularly. I'm glad that you get them, and that VS is in your package.

Edited by Lidsyukerberg

I would rather watch Versus than ESPN. Why? Because ESPN ignored and made fun of hockey when they had it. The NHL is better off not condoning that treatment of its product.

And for those who are saying 'Bettman is trying to kill the league by not being on ESPN' who do you think got the NHL on ESPN in the first place? Bettman was hailed as a genius in the early 90s when he basically robbed ESPN for a huge deal to broadcast the NHL. If that hadn't happened, we'd all probably be happy to see the league getting the kind of exposure Versus offers.

Oh, and BTW...Versus stole Brian Engblom and Bill Clement from ESPN...so it's not like they have worse analysts than ESPN did given that they have THE SAME ANALYSTS. Except minus Barry 'The Goat' Melrose.

The day slots need to be moved. I liked when ESPN had the games on Wednesday and Thursday night.

They need to give the trivia answer sometime during the end of the game and not waiting around to whenever the guys in the post game show feel like giving it out.

Why not have a game a week on ESPN still. One game Thursday nights maybe. what I really miss about hockey on ESPN is NHL tonight. i loved that show. VS does a great job with the NHL they just don't reach that many houses. One Game a week on ESPN and the normal two a week on VS. I think that would work out great.