• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rice

Official: Selanne signs with Ducks

Rate this topic

The Hockey News:

Is Teemu Selanne coming back to the Anaheim Ducks?

GM Brian Burke will not confirm it, but a source in Anaheim told thehockeynews.com Selanne could be back skating with the team as early as next week.

Well, we all assumed it was coming but this confirms it for the most part. I guess last night sealed the deal. IMO, it's complete and utter bulls*** that the Ducks' best forward and best defenseman got to sit out for the boring part of the season. More so Niedermayer than Selanne because he was under contract, but it's like Burke simply said, "Oh, no problem guys, just rest up for the playoffs."

Anyway, the good news is Burke dealt MacDonald so they don't have as much speed up front this year.

Edited by ARice89

For a c*** that always rants about other GM's taking advantage of s***ty rules, Burke has done a masterful job of doing the same. I only hope the league does something in the offseason to change the rules a bit, so s***bags like Burke can't pull stuff like this again.

Guest Crymson
Meh, it will make Anaheim better on paper anyway.

I really feel like Holland will add a top six forward or a top forward D man that will offset Selanne's return to the Ducks.

Yes, and at that point you'll moan and complain about what he had to give up to obtain said forward. If we don't win the Cup, the complaining will begin immediately after we're eliminated; if we do win the Cup, the complaining will begin when the prospects we gave up hit the ice in the next few seasons and (*GASP*) actually do well.

Downey should fight Selanne in that game. I mean it's only fair since you know Pronger will probably fight Datsyuk or Hudler.

teemu is not a fighter he is a lover lol :hehe: Anyways a rested teemu = good for ducks and bad for everyone else. nice to see him coming back.

Edited by Duck Guy

Guest GordieSid&Ted
For a c*** that always rants about other GM's taking advantage of s***ty rules, Burke has done a masterful job of doing the same. I only hope the league does something in the offseason to change the rules a bit, so s***bags like Burke can't pull stuff like this again.

I hate the RFA offer sheet but get my ass handed to me around here by folks because its allowed. Well, this is allowed to so I guess I can't blame Burke for doing it. IF....he did anything.

After all was said and done there was no evidence Burke had anything to do with the Niedermayer situation. That press conference he held pretty much seemed sincere to me and he said he had no freaking clue what the heck scotty was doing with his future up until he read about it in a canadian paper.

I don't know if he had anything to do with teemu either. But Burke is the enemy so we slap the cuffs on first and prove our case later. so be it.

I am in full agreement with you and I believe the BOG is going to take up the issue about setting a date for the return of players to a lineup.

I'm glad. I want him to be there when we beat them in the playoffs this year.

I will NEVER forget that OT winner he scored, flying past Lilja. He needs to be there when they get eliminated this year.

teemu is not a fighter he is a lover lol :hehe: Anyways a rested teemu = good for ducks and bad for everyone else. nice to see him coming back.

So if Selanne comes back that means they only got worse by losing McDonald, Bryzgalov and Penner. Still, they have taken a step back and they barely won last year so they are no longer top dog.

The Ducks got worse and the Wings got better.

So if Selanne comes back that means they only got worse by losing McDonald, Bryzgalov and Penner. Still, they have taken a step back and they barely won last year so they are no longer top dog.

not one of these discussions again :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

This is something that worked out well for the Ducks to this point, but I think the blasting of Burke is misguided. As outlined already in this thread, the team was missing it's top forward and top defenseman for half of the regular season -- a massive blow for any team to withstand.

Did Burke "influence" either of them to keep themselves on the shelf? I severely doubt it. In a league that is now defined by parity (well, except in Detroit, apparently), that is an ENORMOUS RISK to assume.

The Ducks, if not for Neidermayer's return, could just as well be on the outside looking in at the playoff picture. Burke maybe one to take some risks, but no GM is that stupid.

If you're going to attack anyone, attack Neidermayer and Selanne. They took half of the season off.

Selanne's a talented player, but my impression is that he's one of the few class acts on a team that boasts some of the biggest jerks in the league. If he decides to return this late in the season, it'll lower my opinion of him a bit. The Ducks picked up a forward and a defenseman in the off season to fill the spots vacated by Niedermayer and Selanne and it just doesn't seem fair for them to change their minds.

No surprise here, I think just about everybody knew that this was the plan about two weeks into the season, to bring both Neidermayer and Selanne back right before the playoffs.

Now the question is, who are the Ducks going to have to give up this time to make room?

Edited by Elshupacabra

Now the question is, who are the Ducks going to have to give up this time to make room?

As long as the pro-rated salary he signs for is under the cap limit (and if it's just for the remainder of this season) -- no one.

The only reason Neidermayer's return forced Burke's hand is because his contract still had a few seasons on it, and adding that back in would've forced the payroll over the cap for 2008-09, etc. due to the multi-year contracts already on the roster due to Bertuzzi and Schneider.

No surprise here, I think just about everybody knew that this was the plan about two weeks into the season, to bring both Neidermayer and Selanne back right before the playoffs.

ok nvm matt answered

Edited by Duck Guy

Andy and Penner are losses, Bryz isn't. Giguere may get flak for his pads but he's #1 for a reason.

If the Ducks have Selanne, they're nearly back in top form. And remember... they slipped by us, but they dominated the Senators. We slipped by the Sharks ourselves on the virtue of a Robert Lang goal, hell.

Not sure how the Ducks, with the addition of Selanne, are "worse" than last year. It doesn't make sense.

IMO, this team will be better than last year's Cup-winning squad if they manage to stay healthy. Another year of experience under the belts of Getzlaf and Perry, you replace Penner with Bertuzzi and you've got another rocket launcher on the blueline in Schneider. Not to mention rested, healthy (read: no bum ankle) versions of Neidermayer and the aforementioned Selanne. Weight isn't a huge downgrade from MacDonald. He's not the caliber of player that MacDonald is today, but it's not like they replaced him with Bob Errey.

Anaheim got better, and so did we. Anaheim is still almost at parity with us and have no further room to improve. We do. With the proper moves, we can secure an advantage over them, although it won't be decisive. The most important factor in a series between these teams is the one that can't be bought - luck.