• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

2008 NASCAR Thread

Rate this topic

My family tries to get tickets to that race every year, but decided not to this year because they are building a house. I think I can speak for them, and say they were glad they didn't go! I didn't get to watch the race except highlights, but it sounded pretty brutal.

If they would have test driven that stupid "Car of tomorrow" at the Brickyard during the off-season this probably wouldn't have happened. I want the car of yesterday back!

While I don't think just IndyCars should race at IMS, I doubt I'll ever go to anything other than the 500 there.

I had free tickets to yesterday's race, and didn't go. I heard about the tire issue and the plan to have competition yellows, and said to myself, "that sounds like a goat rope." So yeah that and other reasons are why I didn't go.

NASCAR seems more political than it use to be, but keep in mind I'm posting as a very, very casual fan of that series.

Some people have said that IMS is fault because officials there diamond grind the track. That's hard for me to stomach.

1 - Goodyear has had tire issues earlier this season. Tony Stewart mentioned this.

2 - NASCAR teams had an opportunity to test cars prior to the race.

NASCAR seems more political than it use to be, but keep in mind I'm posting as a very, very casual fan of that series

I think that is very accurate. I think you can blame the increasing exposure, and new guys running NASCAR for that.

Some people have said that IMS is fault because officials there diamond grind the track. That's hard for me to stomach.

1 - Goodyear has had tire issues earlier this season. Tony Stewart mentioned this.

2 - NASCAR teams had an opportunity to test cars prior to the race.

NASCAR knows good and well about the diamond-grinding. Not the track's fault, and NASCAR needs a race at Indy more than Indy needs NASCAR, so NASCAR will just have to find a way around it.

Tony Stewart did more than "mention" the earlier tire issues, he bitched loud and clear about them :lol: Of course, had Goodyear not provided the tires they did at Atlanta (the tires and race Stewart was talking about) then Atlanta would have been a race just like the Brickyard one.

Goodyear's just going to have to come up with a better tire for Indy. I don't think there's much NASCAR can do about it, other than maybe fiddle with the downforce on the car so that the rubber will adhere better to track and not just pile up dust in the corners. I think the only thing NASCAR could have done better (although it's a biggie) is to let 'em race. For one thing, strategy would actually come into play, and for another, it might actually have been a real good race, because drivers would be way cautious, trying not to drive the wheels off the car (literally), and it might more closely resemble Daytona than a cookie-cutter tri-oval. They'd have gotten their cautions whenever another right rear exploded. This is more a personal thing, because I think the drivers would hate my point of view, but I see nothing wrong with a race decided on pit strategy and who was lucky enough not to get collected in someone's tire explosion. It can't be any worse than a race decided by whoever's pit crew is fastest in between 8-lap runs of green.

I think that is very accurate. I think you can blame the increasing exposure, and new guys running NASCAR for that.

Blame sponsors. Roush isn't just Roush any more, it's Roush-Fenway. Petty had to sell to who-knows-who? Sunoco complains because the Shell logo on Harvick's car is too big....AT&T and Alltel have to leave the sponsorship game thanks to Sprint....it's all about the sponsors.

My family tries to get tickets to that race every year, but decided not to this year because they are building a house. I think I can speak for them, and say they were glad they didn't go! I didn't get to watch the race except highlights, but it sounded pretty brutal.

If they would have test driven that stupid "Car of tomorrow" at the Brickyard during the off-season this probably wouldn't have happened. I want the car of yesterday back!

yea if earnheart was still alive he would retire cus of that car that car and toyota racing in nascar is making the sport go south thats y i dont wach it anymore

Only 2 races left til the Chase - anyone got any favorites on the bubble? Personally I don't care much who makes it, as long as Denny Hamlin doesn't. Toyota, y'know.

Watched last night's race when I realized that my hatred of short-tracks came from only watching Martinsville. So, Bristol good, Martinsville is still lousy. Turned it off after the last big wreck - when Kyle ******* Busch is dominating the race and Robby Gordon is wrecked, it's not much fun watching any more. So I missed Carl Edwards' little bump to knock Busch out of the way for the win. Naturally, Busch whined. This is a little like Bryan Marchment complaining that someone went after his knee. Kyle Busch is a giant turd and if there's going to be a big rivalry between Carl Edwards and him then I may have two favorite drivers soon.

Only 2 races left til the Chase - anyone got any favorites on the bubble? Personally I don't care much who makes it, as long as Denny Hamlin doesn't. Toyota, y'know.

Harvick's my favorite. He's not really on the bubble right now, but all it would take is a bad race at California to put him there heading to Richmond. They've been running great for the last 2 months though. I've been really happy to see it.

I want Gordon to get in. I always have liked him, and he's the gf's favorite driver so her interest over the last 10 races will increase if he makes it. I also really like Bowyer.

I'd love to see Kahne and Bowyer in and either Kenseth or Hamlin out. I think Kasey is in trouble though. The Roush cars will run well at Cali, which should put Kenseth solidly in and will help Regan's chances. Kahne is up against it, being down by 56 points...

Shrub is such a whiny *****.

Kahne is up against it, being down by 56 points...

And being in a car which is pretty clearly ass, I think. There is something seriously wrong with Dodge engines. GEM has like one good car and that's Kahne's. Carpentier is not chopped liver and the guy can't even qualify for some of the races. Robby Gordon is one of the best drivers on the circuit IMO (not even being entirely a homer here....have you seen what he does when the plates even things out?) and he simply cannot go anywhere. It's amazing that he's even on track to stay above 35th in owners points given that he gets the leftover scrap engines from GEM which doesn't even have good ones to begin with. Montoya is a hell of a driver and was a successful driver in friggin' Formula One, and he can't get around the track either. Penske and Ganassi ought to know a thing or two about racing, being far and away the elite teams and biggest names in IRL, yet their NASCAR teams are s***. Yay Dodge for being American and all, but their race cars have been absolute turds this year.

Sum and gist of the rant: Kahne is screwed. I feel for the guy. Allstate makes him do the worst frickin' commercials ever, he battles all year for the Chase with half a wheel tied behind his back, and his reward is to get taken out and effectively knocked out of the Chase in a wreck that's not his fault. (Speaking of which how about Casey Mears totally diming out his spotter?)

Sum and gist of the rant: Kahne is screwed. I feel for the guy. Allstate makes him do the worst frickin' commercials ever, he battles all year for the Chase with half a wheel tied behind his back, and his reward is to get taken out and effectively knocked out of the Chase in a wreck that's not his fault. (Speaking of which how about Casey Mears totally diming out his spotter?)

I didn't want to quote the whole post, but you're right about the Dodges. There are a lot of talented guys running them (Kurt Busch is an ex-Champion, Newman hasn't done crap since Daytona, Montoya is a great driver even if he might not be a great Nascar driver--though I'd love to see him in a real car, and Kahne is about as talented as anyone).

But you don't like those Allstate commercials? I think they're absolutely hysterical. I wish he would've run the pink and purple car at the Brickyard for the Allstate 400.

The two best Kasey Kahne commercials are still the "Get me a bunny" one with Jamie McMurray and the "Your yak is weak!" vitamin water commercial.

I've grown to like Kahne quite a bit, and I usually don't end up liking guys that don't (or haven't) drive for Chevy.

I don't like hearing guys (talking about Mears now) call people on their own team out. Hamlin and Biffle are notorious for doing stuff like that and I can't stand either of those two. I like Mears (his uncle was my first favorite IndyCar driver) but I didn't like hearing that. I'm sure he's really frustrated with how this year has gone, but that's not necessary. We would've gotten the gist when they played the "Clear clear clear" "I wasn't clear, God dangit!" clip.

I'm surprised Childress couldn't find someone better for that fourth car. I think I would've even been inclined to give Reed Sorenson a shot at having some good equipment rather than a guy who hasn't been able to do anything in a Hendrick car.

Speaking of Childress, if I were Bowyer, I'd be absolutely pissed that Mears is getting all my points. Bowyer is going to have to qualify on speed for the first five races next year. If he blows an engine in the 125 or something, he doesn't race Daytona. It's kind of ridiculous, IMO. Mears isn't going to be in the hunt for the Chase. Bowyer will be. But missing a race could kill his chances. It's also kind of a bummer he won't be in the Jack Daniels car anymore. He fits that product better than Mears...

Definitely a good race today. Toyotas blowing up left and right? Check. Misfortune for KyBusch? Double check. Halfway decent finish for Robby Gordon? Check. (22nd - hasn't done that well since the Daytona race in July. Terrific racing at the end? Check. Those Roush boys were really going at it - wouldn't it have been something if they'd all taken each other out? Not that I'd have liked that much, I like the Roush drivers.

Looking forward to the Talladega race in October. RGordon's finished 8th, 6th, and 11th at the superspeedways. Just wish he would get back into a Ford or a Chevy.

Rumor has it, Robby is joining DEI after this season which would put him in a chevy and some somewhat better equipment.

Yeah, I read that. That would be sweet. It's weird, part of the reason I started being a Robby fan in the first place is because of his independent streak trying to go it alone as a driver-owner, but now that I am a fan, I'd like to see what he can do when he gets back in a team ride. He's already getting Penske engines now instead of GEM, which I think will be a good thing because I suspect Penske has somewhat better equipment. (Still Dodge though.)

Joining up with DEI would have some obstacles because the most likely driver to leave would be Paul Menard, and RGM has a pretty sizable partnership with Menard's. But DEI could really use a boost of driving talent, and swapping out Menard for Gordon would be huge there. Plus they could get some old Dale swagger back, and Almirola and Smith would have someone they could actually learn to drive from. (Though Almirola's been understudying with Mark Martin some.)

Guest Jeremy88

Over the summer I became a Kyle Busch fan...and now that I've finally started to cheer for him, he has horrid luck...

Talladega was messed up. What if Jr was in the 01's place??? What do u think Nascar would have done?

I don't know what the actual rule says, so I don't have any opinion. If it's written that "anything goes on the last lap" then they screwed Smith. I doubt there's any such rule....I suspect the real wrong came when NASCAR allowed that interpretation to be understood in the garage.....especially if they (as I read, didn't see for myself) allowed such a move to happen in a couple of the truck races.

Over the summer I became a Kyle Busch fan...and now that I've finally started to cheer for him, he has horrid luck...

Talladega was messed up. What if Jr was in the 01's place??? What do u think Nascar would have done?

The fact that Tony Stewart would have been the driver "robbed" of a win by a driver going below the yellow line is the reason why they screwed over Regan Smith and said his move was illegal, regardless of being forced below the yellow line.

Yeah that ruling was absolute BS. Nascar is so full of s*** with the way they rule on certain things (slap on the wrist for intentionally causing a wreck and admitting you did it, but god-forbid you swear in an interview).

Stewart admitted that he blocked Smith, and two days prior a Nascar spokesman said "On the last lap, anything goes." Smith should have won that race, and it's too bad, because Talladega could have been that kid's only chance to get a win in Sprint Cup. You think a win wouldn't have gone a long way toward finding him a ride for next year?

And BTW, Harvick is awesome. This "verbal assault" on Carl Edwards has been absolutely hysterical. I'm happy to see a little bit of the "Old Kevin" coming out. I was about to break something when Edwards caused that wreck last weekend.

carlkev2.gif

Yeah that ruling was absolute BS. Nascar is so full of s*** with the way they rule on certain things (slap on the wrist for intentionally causing a wreck and admitting you did it, but god-forbid you swear in an interview).

Stewart admitted that he blocked Smith, and two days prior a Nascar spokesman said "On the last lap, anything goes." Smith should have won that race, and it's too bad, because Talladega could have been that kid's only chance to get a win in Sprint Cup. You think a win wouldn't have gone a long way toward finding him a ride for next year?

And BTW, Harvick is awesome. This "verbal assault" on Carl Edwards has been absolutely hysterical. I'm happy to see a little bit of the "Old Kevin" coming out. I was about to break something when Edwards caused that wreck last weekend.

I liked the wreck. For one, it moved Robby up about eight places :D Maybe Smith should have crashed Stewart, then there would have been a 50-50 shot of Robby coming through the pile unscathed and stealing a win ;) Although I've been digging on Tony Stewart ever since he announced his own team (and that they'll be driving Chevys.)

And second, there's been way too much happy-happy in the garages lately. Other than Carl and Shrubby tangling at Bristol, what's there been for rivalries and such? A little anger management trouble never hurt NASCAR, did it? Wreck away, boys.

Crazy offseason what with all the mergers. I think it'll make a more competitive year next year though. Teams are getting rid of the fluff cars and some of the worse drivers, and only a few Dodges left on the track too.

Speaking of which, I wonder if I can still root for Robby Gordon now. Come Daytona I don't know whether I'll be pulling for him or not. Might be changing my loyalty over to JPM until the badge on Robby's car changes again.

Crazy offseason what with all the mergers. I think it'll make a more competitive year next year though. Teams are getting rid of the fluff cars and some of the worse drivers, and only a few Dodges left on the track too.

Petty Enterprises is no more. It's what got me into NASCAR over 15 years ago ): What a shame. 60 years of being involved, and they can't save them.