• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

2008 NASCAR Thread

Rate this topic

With NASCAR getting back into full run very soon, I decided to start the season thread for NASCAR on this site. Please keep this topic to the title of the thread with regards to NASCAR. F1 or other auto racing circuits, please begin topic or post comments in another thread.

With that being said, I look forward to this year in NASCAR. My work schedule has allowed me to have more sundays off now so I will definately be spending some of them watching the races.

I think Jimmie Johnson will probably win the championship again this year as I don't see another driver as consistant as Johnson. I kinda want Stewart to win the Daytona 500 this year but I can't stand rooting for a Toyota driver. Also interested in seeing how Junior does with his new team. All good stuff and should make for an intersting year.

Can't wait for the Daytona 500 to roll around.

I could sure go for a repeat of this:

7_61_021807_daytona9.jpg

Go get 'em, Harvick!

(But Gordon and Johnson are obviously the guys to beat again)

that was a helluva finish. I so wanted Mark Martin to win that race like many others only to have him passed at the end by Harvick. I dont think Mark Martin has it in him to make another run like that but if he does, i will be watching, cheering.

Got to agree with you on Johnson. If not Johnson probably Gordon. Stewart has a solid shot too.

I want to see how Little E will do with Hendricks this year. He has no excuses now with that team.

I will continue to root for my favorite driver Kyle Petty (Been a fan for 15 years now). If he gets a top 15 finish in any race I will be pumped! I think Kyle is near the end of his career fairly soon so maybe next year I can pick a new favorite driver! Until then I will stay loyal.

Got to agree with you on Johnson. If not Johnson probably Gordon. Stewart has a solid shot too.

I want to see how Little E will do with Hendricks this year. He has no excuses now with that team.

I'm really curious to see how Stewart will do in the Toyota. The Gibbs team will probably win a few races this year, but I think it's probably too early to expect him to make a run at the Championship. As good as Stewart is, if the car isn't consistent, he's still going to have his struggles. The Toyotas were fast in some of the races (Vickers had some nice runs, as did Blaney) so I'm sure they'll win some.

And you're right about Earnhardt...he's gotta win a few this year. Last year wasn't really his fault--he had chances to win 5 or 6 races and the engines let him down. Previous years it was more him screwing up, but I'm willing to give him a pass on last year. Hopefully he'll get back to being toward the front, though, as much as I like him, he's not one of the ten best drivers in the series.

Jr. is the most overrated driver in the world. I think that he will win a few races now with Hendrick cars but I don't know that he has enough talent to win a championship.

I think that both Casey Mears and Reed Sorenson will have breakout seasons this year. Besides Gordon, these are the two I will be rooting for.

Jr. is the most overrated driver in the world. I think that he will win a few races now with Hendrick cars but I don't know that he has enough talent to win a championship.

I think Jr. has it in him to win a championship some day. Making this move showed he was serious about winning. He already has tons of fame, and is one of the top 5 favorite drivers despite his lack of success. If he was happy with just being a very popular driver, and winning once in a while he would have stayed with DEI. He wants to be famous for winning...not for being a legend's son, and his looks.

I'm really curious to see how Stewart will do in the Toyota. The Gibbs team will probably win a few races this year, but I think it's probably too early to expect him to make a run at the Championship. As good as Stewart is, if the car isn't consistent, he's still going to have his struggles. The Toyotas were fast in some of the races (Vickers had some nice runs, as did Blaney) so I'm sure they'll win some.

I forgot about Gibbs switching to Toyota. That will play a factor. I don't know why you would leave a Chevy motor for a unproven Toyota. Money I'm assuming......

I think Jr. has it in him to win a championship some day. Making this move showed he was serious about winning. He already has tons of fame, and is one of the top 5 favorite drivers despite his lack of success. If he was happy with just being a very popular driver, and winning once in a while he would have stayed with DEI. He wants to be famous for winning...not for being a legend's son, and his looks.

I didn't say he didn't want to win a championship, he obviously wants to if he is out there every week racing. I just don't think he is good enough to win one.

I forgot about Gibbs switching to Toyota. That will play a factor. I don't know why you would leave a Chevy motor for a unproven Toyota. Money I'm assuming......

I'm sure Toyota paid out the butt for Gibbs to come over.

I agree with the poster that said Casey Mears will have a breakout year. He's got Kyle Busch's equipment now, and that car is an absolute hot-rod. I've always liked Casey--his uncle Rick was my first favorite driver when I got into racing.

I'm also curious to see how the open-wheel guys end up doing. I'd like to see Dario do well (hopefully he doesn't have as big of a learning curve as JPM--and avoids wrecking Harvick six times in the process), and I'm hoping for a slew of DNQs for Mr. Hornish (though he has Kurt Busch's points from last year since Busch has a past-champions provisional, so he'll be in the first five races for sure).

Wouldn't shock me a bit if Montoya made the Chase this year. Even with all his troubles, he still wasn't absurdly far out last year. And I think apart from Stewart he's probably the best pure-driver in the series.

Here's a stab at the 12 Chase drivers (in no particular order):

1. Johnson

2. Gordon

3. Harvick

4. Burton

5. Bowyer

6. Mears

7. Kurt Busch

8. Ryan Newman

9. Earnhardt Jr.

10. Kenseth

11. Edwards

12. Montoya

Though it's going to be a fun fight for the end...some good drivers I left out: Stewart, Hamlin, Kyle Busch, Biffle, McMurray, Truex Jr., Kahne if he can rebound from a horrible year.

I can't wait for racing to start up again! I won't get into it here, but I'd start a thread if there's any interest--any of you guys watch the American Le Mans Series? That is GREAT racing right there....

Here's a stab at the 12 Chase drivers (in no particular order):

1. Johnson

2. Gordon

3. Harvick

4. Burton

5. Bowyer

6. Mears

7. Kurt Busch

8. Ryan Newman

9. Earnhardt Jr.

10. Kenseth

11. Edwards

12. Montoya

Thats a solid guess list. I would add Stewart in there, along with Khane. I don't think Montoya will make it. He will be close, but I think just short. I will make a very bold prediction here on a possible driver: Bobby Labonte. Not saying he will make it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was sniffing around the 12 before the cut.

Edited by mannysBETTER3434

^^I agree. Good list Packer487. I think that some of the drivers that slipped last year will make a comeback to the chase in Kahne and Biffle. Not sure about Montoya yet also Newman is a good driver but struggling lately, I think he will either be right at the top of the chase or miss it completely. No middle for Newman.

Do any of you guys go to any races? I have been to 7 in the last two seasons. They are so much fun. We have gotten so many autographs and spent a fortune on die cast cars. Even some of the bigger names will give out autographs if you get to the track early enough.

Do any of you guys go to any races? I have been to 7 in the last two seasons. They are so much fun. We have gotten so many autographs and spent a fortune on die cast cars. Even some of the bigger names will give out autographs if you get to the track early enough.

I haven't been to a Nascar race in a few years, but my gf and I are probably 95% sure we're going down to Charlotte for the 600 this year. Her uncle's best friend works for Ryan Newman's team, so hopefully we'll get the hook up.

Bristol is the track I really want to get to though. I've been to MIS, Indy (first 2 Brickyards) and Daytona (the boring ass 2000 Daytona 500--though the support races that weekend were amazing!)

I've been to MIS 3 times...I think the last one at MIS I was at was in 1999. I was also at the Brickyard 400 a few years ago. That was amazing! I've got a few autographs, none are good ones except for Davey Allison. I also got Kyle Petty, Johnny Benson, Mike Skinner, Morgan Shepard, and Ernie Irvin.

Guest Jeremy88

Go Junebug for the 500 win! And for the championship!

Bud SHootout is Saturday...we'll get to see how Jr does with Hendrick and how Gibbs does with Toyota.

At first I was a little upset at Stewart going to Toyota, as he and Jr are my two favorites, but idc he's in a jap car. Go Jr and Smoke!

Guest Jeremy88

I've been to the last 3 Pepsi 400's. In 2006, we were right on the finish line, and when Stewart climbed the fence, I was 20 feet away from him. It was such an experience.

Guest Jeremy88
^^^^ Juniors new car is big time ugly!!!!!!

I love Jr's new car. Idk about the blue one though...but the Green one is a beauty. I love the shade of green and the white...and the red/orange numbers are great.

My chase predictions (In no order)

1. Johnson

2. Gordon

3. Stewart

4. Kenseth

5. Edwards

6. Earnhardt Jr

7. Denny Hamlin

8. Kurt Busch

9. Harvick

10. Burton

11. Truex Jr

12. McFlurry

Edited by Jeremy88

I agree. Jr.'s car is very ugly. In my opinion, the 25 National Guard car was the best looking car on the track last year. They took it and made it into one of the ugliest cars.

Guest Jeremy88

bud shootout this saturday night...who do you think is gonna win it?

I say either Jr, Stewart, or Gordon. Jr has been waiting to drive the 88 car ever since he decided to leave DEI...he's out to prove something. Tony is the same with Toyota...and Gordon...well, he's Jeff Gordon.

Guest Jeremy88

Can't believe no one posted anything, but WOOOOOOOOOOOOO DALE JR WON THE SHOOTOUT!!!!!!!!!!!! FIRST RACE WITH HENDRICK AND HE WINS!!!!!!! GO DALE JR!!!!!!!!!