• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy24

Izzy24

Hmm...

• HoF Booster
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:01 AM

What, if any, preparation materials (books, practice tests, classes) did you use?
Do you feel they made a significant impact?
Would you recommend them?
Any other advice (besides "don't go to law school") would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Uh, the guy...the guy across the street is swee...sweeping his driveway and he...he...heduzzntevinow.

#2 Izzy24

Izzy24

Hmm...

• HoF Booster
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:09 PM

Anyone? unsure.gif

Uh, the guy...the guy across the street is swee...sweeping his driveway and he...he...heduzzntevinow.

#3 HenrikRules40

HenrikRules40

I'm not a puck bunny.

• HoF Booster
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:33 PM

I say wing it.

#4 Izzy24

Izzy24

Hmm...

• HoF Booster
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE (HenrikRules40 @ January 31, 2008 - 11:33AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I say wing it.

I've considered that option.

#5 OsGOD

OsGOD

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:45 PM

Never taken a "sat" test at all... i think the ACT was it for me... but I recommend this as no others are bold enough to help you out wink.gif

http://www.dummies.c...076457194X.html

Just one chance is all i ever wanted...just one time i'd like to win the game...from now on i'll take the chance if i can have it...just one just one

#6 HenrikRules40

HenrikRules40

I'm not a puck bunny.

• HoF Booster
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:01 PM

Honestly Izzy I've taken so many of these standardized tests. I'm studying for one right now. It's not about the knowledge base as much as it's about knowing how to answer the questions. It's one big hazing ritual. I am taking a review course right now because I have trouble with discipline. I need someone to tell me what to do so I feel like I'm accounting for my days properly. I've heard Princeton Review is really good for the LSAT. A couple of my friends took the LSAT when I was studying for the MCAT back in the day. If you want I can ask them what they thought the best studying tips are. In the end, you have to use what works for you. Oh...and don't do that IMUSTSTUDYTWENTYFOURHOURSADAY crap. Schedule yourself in such a manner that you still have time to do fun stuff i.e. watch a movie or watch the game or go to the gym. Balance is KEY! Good luck.

#7 VladyIBELIEVE16

VladyIBELIEVE16

Your Red Wings Nation West President

• HoF Booster
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:08 PM

Definitely Princeton review. I'm in the legal field and I'd definitely say take the review course..it's WORTH it..It'll probably increase your score and every bit will help!

Good Luck!
Don't worry about losing. If it's right, it happens. The main thing is not to hurry. Nothing good gets away. Steinbeck
Dance is nothing until it's on a beautiful body - Wade Robson
What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
In life as in the dance: Grace glides on blistered feet. - Alice Abrams

#8 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:12 PM

Two pieces of advice for you.

1: Princeton Review, Kaplan, etc would be a good idea. I just kinda winged it for the LSAT. Probably not my best idea.

2: Don't go to law school. Seriously.

If you have any questions about law school, being a lawyer, etc I'd be glad to answer them.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#9 Izzy24

Izzy24

Hmm...

• HoF Booster
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (BlakChamber @ January 31, 2008 - 07:12PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Two pieces of advice for you.

1: Princeton Review, Kaplan, etc would be a good idea. I just kinda winged it for the LSAT. Probably not my best idea.

2: Don't go to law school. Seriously.

If you have any questions about law school, being a lawyer, etc I'd be glad to answer them.

I've heard that from several people, but they didn't really give me a reason, why am I going to regret it?

#10 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,728 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:48 PM

I hate to tell you this Izzy, but doing good or bad on the LSAT is in no way indicative of how you're going to succeed in law school. It's just one of those things that some people are better at than others, and they administer the LSAT mostly to have some kind of qualification system. The questions have nothing to do with what you'll see on law school exams. But every law school is different as to how much weight they give to the LSAT versus your college GPA. With that said, it's probably a good idea to have a few LSAT prep books, and to test yourself under real conditions, just to see what you're up against, so as to not panic when you take the real test. Also, every answer you get right or wrong on the LSAT will raise you or lower up by about 10 percentile, so it's a very tightly packed test as far as scores go. Oh, and don't be worried about not having time to come to LGW when you're in law school, because I'm doing that now.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#11 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE (Izzy24 @ January 31, 2008 - 08:48PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've heard that from several people, but they didn't really give me a reason, why am I going to regret it?

It depends. Why are you going to law school?

If you're going to law school because you're not quite sure what to do with your life, and law school doesn't seem like too bad an idea, then don't go. Chances are you'll wind up six figures in debt and hating your life. And don't be fooled by whatever law school you're looking at claims the average starting salary for their grads are. It's bulls***.

#12 Lidstromrules16

Lidstromrules16

the best thing about life is knowing you put it together- T. Rez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:19 PM

I dont know about the LSAT or Lawschool, but the teachers tell us students to NOT get a phD unless you want to teach, because no one will want to work with you, or want you working for them if you have a phD.

If the test determines whether or not you get into Lawschool, than study hard, but not too hard. If it really doesnt determine if you GET IN to lawschool, than I wouldnt stress over it too much. If you cant make up your mind........Military tongue.gif

#13 HenrikRules40

HenrikRules40

I'm not a puck bunny.

• HoF Booster
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:21 PM

Iz just come to med school. It's so easy and so fun. You will breeze through it in no time. You have nothing planned for the next ten years, right?

#14 Izzy24

Izzy24

Hmm...

• HoF Booster
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (HenrikRules40 @ January 31, 2008 - 08:21PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Iz just come to med school. It's so easy and so fun. You will breeze through it in no time. You have nothing planned for the next ten years, right?

I don't do so well with chemistry, plus I heard you can't even write yourself prescriptions.

#15 Izzy24

Izzy24

Hmm...

• HoF Booster
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE (BlakChamber @ January 31, 2008 - 08:05PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It depends. Why are you going to law school?

If you're going to law school because you're not quite sure what to do with your life, and law school doesn't seem like too bad an idea, then don't go. Chances are you'll wind up six figures in debt and hating your life. And don't be fooled by whatever law school you're looking at claims the average starting salary for their grads are. It's bulls***.

Of the career choices I've considered (aside from rock star, professional hockey player, etc.), being an attorney appeals to me the most. It is something I have considered for several years now, not just a decision out of the blue. The few casebooks I have read I have found genuinely interesting, and I believe it is a profession I can excel at. I'm also still naive enough to think that I can make a positive difference in society. At the same time I realize I don't have that many options with a virtually worthless BA. I have considered the possibility that I may end up being deeply in debt and with a job I don't really like, and it is a concern, but there are potential risks to any choice I make. I also don't want to not go, and then always wonder if that was a mistake. Maybe I won't get accepted into any school, and then the decision will be made for me.

#16 HenrikRules40

HenrikRules40

I'm not a puck bunny.

• HoF Booster
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE (Izzy24 @ January 31, 2008 - 10:38PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't do so well with chemistry, plus I heard you can't even write yourself prescriptions.

laugh.gif Touche! Well played sir.

#17 EuroTwinLove40

EuroTwinLove40

2nd Line Scorer

• Silver Booster
  • 702 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:32 PM

I'll most likely be taking the LSAT in about 3 years and I'm already freaking out about it lol unsure.gif I should just start studying like, now. laugh.gif

#18 DaKineMaui

DaKineMaui

Alii Nui

• Gold Booster
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:26 PM

If you study for the test drunk, make sure and be drunk when test time comes.

S'about all I got.

aloha

#19 ElCapitan

ElCapitan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (Izzy24 @ January 31, 2008 - 10:27PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have considered the possibility that I may end up being deeply in debt and with a job I don't really like, and it is a concern, but there are potential risks to any choice I make. I also don't want to not go, and then always wonder if that was a mistake.

Izzy,

I've been doing what do since 1986 and, with exception to the time I was self-employed, have hated it for at least the last 10 years. Accruing massive debt due to a career choice you don't like will be miserable. I'd hate to see anyone risk that without seeking good career advice.

I'd like to put a shameless plug in for a guy by the name of Dan Miller. He's a career/life coach that I love and he's worth checking out. He is the author of "48 Days To The Work You Love" and "No More More Mondays" and his web site is 48days.com. He even has a free weekly podcast that you can subscribe to on iTunes.

I have read/am reading his books and am going thru one of his courses. They've been extremely helpful.

Take it for what it's worth but I'd check him, or someone like him out before I'd shell out an additional fortune on tuition.

#20 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE (Izzy24 @ January 31, 2008 - 10:27PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of the career choices I've considered (aside from rock star, professional hockey player, etc.), being an attorney appeals to me the most. It is something I have considered for several years now, not just a decision out of the blue. The few casebooks I have read I have found genuinely interesting, and I believe it is a profession I can excel at. I'm also still naive enough to think that I can make a positive difference in society. At the same time I realize I don't have that many options with a virtually worthless BA. I have considered the possibility that I may end up being deeply in debt and with a job I don't really like, and it is a concern, but there are potential risks to any choice I make. I also don't want to not go, and then always wonder if that was a mistake. Maybe I won't get accepted into any school, and then the decision will be made for me.

Sounds like you've thought it through quite a bit. I knew a lot of people in law school that were only there because they weren't really sure what else they should do with themselves.

One other thing, unless you're going to a school like Yale, Columbia, NYU, Northwestern etc, go to school in the state where you want to practice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users