• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jwo

Would you go to a Premier League game in the U.S.?

Rate this topic

Would you go to a Premier League game in the U.S.?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3117424,00.html

The 20 Premier League clubs have unanimously agreed to further examine a radical plan that would see each team playing an extra match a season abroad.

Under the proposal, matches between two Premier League sides could be staged in the world's largest cities in the Far East, Australia and the USA.

A new round of 10 competitive fixtures would be played across the world over one weekend in January, beginning in the 2010/11 season.

39 games

The idea would be to cash in on existing interest in the Premier League around the world, and the extra money generated from TV would be split equally among the 20 clubs.

The details of how the system would work have yet to be finalised but it would mean each club playing 39 games, with a draw to pick out each side's overseas match.

There would be a sporting criteria, such as league position, to decide which clubs play each other.

And under the proposal, points earned in the overseas game would count towards the final league position.

Innovative

Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore said: "The 'international round' is an exciting and innovative proposal that needs careful consideration before being introduced.

"However, this concept recognises the truly global appeal of the Barclays Premier League whilst understanding that the traditions of the English game have always underpinned our success.

"We believe that an 'international round' of matches will enhance the strength of the Barclays Premier League as a competition; create extra interest in all 20 Premier League clubs at home and abroad; and allow increased investment in talent development and acquisition, facilities as well as our football development and community programmes."

Scudamore added: "The globalisation of sport is both an opportunity and a challenge; one that needs addressing in a responsible way.

"We are a better competition for being a cosmopolitan league and have benefited from our increased international reach.

"Nonetheless, it is critical we retain our English character by improving our efforts to produce home-grown talent, deepening our commitment to community engagement and continuing our investment in the grass-roots."

Edited by Jwo

We talking indoor soccer in a hockey rink style field? then yes. Outdoor soccer just bores me to sleep... although i have had trouble sleeping lately.... COUNT ME IN!

Doesn't the US already have the MLS. That is enough for me. Every 4 years is enough for me to care about soccer. Olympics and World Cup is enough.

The MLS is not even close to being on the same par with the Premier League.

I respect your opinion but that be like saying every 4 years is only needed for hockey and their is no point for the NHL and the Detroit Red Wings to even exist.

Edited by Jwo

The MLS is not even close to being on the same par with the Premier League.

I respect your opinion but that be like saying every 4 years is only needed for hockey and their is no point for the NHL and the Detroit Red Wings to even exist.

The difference is I am not interested in what other European cities do when it comes to soccer, I can honestly care less what European hockey cities do. I care when my country is on the spotlight and thats why I will have a vested interest when it comes to olympics or world cup. Not the same.

To answer the question about a Premier League game in the US? NO!! I would rather watch a MLS game if they ever had a team in Detroit over a European city, visiting the US.

I always hated soccer, and still do sometimes, but two of my roomies are huge soccer fans, so I picked a team so I could join in on the bulls***. And the EPL is the best soccer on the planet, so if you have to watch soccer, you might as well watch the EPL.

I'm a huge soccer fan, but I can't really stand some aspects of the sports sometimes. It's nothing wrong with the sport itself, it's just the players.

90% of the players, even in the Premier League, are s***kids who dives, fake injuries, stay down for 5 minutes after a challenge. I'm so tired of it.

And take a look at this, how does Dida even dare to show himself in public places after this:

AND HE HAS TO BE CARRIED OF THE FIELD!

How insane is that?

If it involved Arsenal, sure. But this "39th Game" crap is awful, and would really upset the fairness of the league championship.

It's a moot point, anyway. Everyone has come out against this proposal (the FA, FIFA, and the confederations of almost every country that would stage the games). It's not gonna happen.

As long as the ticket prices weren't to high and I was able to get to the game, I would love to see an EPL game. As a matter of fact, I would watch just about any of the top Euro leagues over the MLS anyday. MLS is pretty boring to watch, but the Euro leagues are great to watch. They have great teams with long standing traditions. The greatest players in the world that are still in their prime. The Euro leagues also have the greatest atmosphere to watch the games even on the television. I would love to see this happen, but I doubt it will and odds are the MLS will make sure it doesn't because if the EPL came over here it would show how much of a joke the MLS really is, and this would probably hurt what is already a small faction of this country that actually watches it.

as a fan of football.(soccer). i'd advise anyone to go see any games that are played in the US , the Premiership or otherwise . i've been to a few premiership games and i'd say it is one of the best leagues in the world ... thee best?no. i'd say that title belongs to La Liga . but yeah if i stayed in the US i'd make the trip to see a game . :thumbup: