• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Danny

Red Wings top trade bait

Rate this topic

Pure speculation, of course, but here is my list in no particular order (and I'm ignoring anyone not in the regular Wings rotation to keep things simple):

1) Sammy: decent player, right hand cannon, underpriced and tied into a contract

2) Osgood: Just past his prime goalie having a career year at a crazy low price. Also tied into another year, if I'm not mistaken. Wings need to make room for Howard. This is, of course, contingent on Hasek staying.

3) Hudler: Young, improving, has shown he can put the puck in the net given minutes. He could be a real threat on a lower tier team with an elite center.

4) Lilja: Solid PK, just physical enough. Could be a solid top four defender on a lower tier team in need of help (NYR, anyone?) and isn't going to break the bank

5) Lebda: Just coming into his own, good wheels, underpriced

Hudler.

Undersized, very streaky player. Will never become this Paul Kariya player, people seem to compare him too. Dump him while he still has some upside to him.

Lilja,Lebda arent being moved. Cheap and solid. We need our D depth, were not trading it away.

No one will want Sammy, and if they did, we're not getting anything in return.

Ozzie isnt being moved.

Pure speculation, of course, but here is my list in no particular order (and I'm ignoring anyone not in the regular Wings rotation to keep things simple):

1) Sammy: decent player, right hand cannon, underpriced and tied into a contract

2) Osgood: Just past his prime goalie having a career year at a crazy low price. Also tied into another year, if I'm not mistaken. Wings need to make room for Howard. This is, of course, contingent on Hasek staying.

3) Hudler: Young, improving, has shown he can put the puck in the net given minutes. He could be a real threat on a lower tier team with an elite center.

4) Lilja: Solid PK, just physical enough. Could be a solid top four defender on a lower tier team in need of help (NYR, anyone?) and isn't going to break the bank

5) Lebda: Just coming into his own, good wheels, underpriced

Osgood isnt getting moved. But as for the other guys...if thats what we're dangling that we can forget about getting anything good.

I should have added:

Cleary: contract year, really lit things up this year, still young enough to have some solid NHL seasons ahead if he keeps up the regimen

Of course there are reasons for and against each player being traded (for example, Cleary was a career underperformer before coming to Detroit), but it does make for interesting discussion. I think Hudler and some Griffins are our only true non-pick bait this season, but we'll see. Once again, I predict no major trades for us this season.

am I the only one who likes Lebda??? I mean honestly, I love having him on the team.

Nah you're not the only one. I'm a big fan of his as well. The kid skates hard and for being undrafted he's pretty damn good.

Nah you're not the only one. I'm a big fan of his as well. The kid skates hard and for being undrafted he's pretty damn good.

Thats really why I like him, cause he went undrafted. Plus he is playing alongside his idol, Chelios

Although I really like hudler too, but I wouldnt mind him being traded if it gaurenteed him more playing time elsewhere

I like Lebda too. Quite a bit.

Keep in mind that any player being dangled as trade bait means they're worth something. See, the way this works is that one GM thinks he can IMPROVE his team by acquiring a player from another team. :P Just teasing, of course.

Why do people think Sammy cannot be moved. Are you guys really serious?? Regardless of what he returns, he could EASILY be moved. Hes not stupid. Hes not small. Hes not slow. Hes not expensive. He doesnt have a bad attitude. Hes not skill-less. Hes not a defensive liability.

Wings fans are so spoiled. You all want every player to make huge hits, block shots, score 25 goals a season, play the PK and PP admirably, and have a bullet for a shot. Well I hate to break it to you, but not many teams have a 7-8 forward who does that. Theyre called depth players for a reason, and as such, they are only supposed to fill in the gaps. Sammy does exactly that.

On other teams, Sammy would probably be playing the PK. And the PP (in a better utilized position). Hed probably be getting more minutes than he is here, and hed probably break the 50 point barrier by seasons end. If he stays healthy, he will break 40 points, which is very admirable for a guy whos making 1.2M a year.

If I had more time, I bet I could find at least 25 other forwards in this league who are making more than 1.2M and are producing less than Sammy...

Why do people think Sammy cannot be moved. Are you guys really serious?? Regardless of what he returns, he could EASILY be moved. Hes not stupid. Hes not small. Hes not slow. Hes not expensive. He doesnt have a bad attitude. Hes not skill-less. Hes not a defensive liability.

Wings fans are so spoiled. You all want every player to make huge hits, block shots, score 25 goals a season, play the PK and PP admirably, and have a bullet for a shot. Well I hate to break it to you, but not many teams have a 7-8 forward who does that. Theyre called depth players for a reason, and as such, they are only supposed to fill in the gaps. Sammy does exactly that.

On other teams, Sammy would probably be playing the PK. And the PP (in a better utilized position). Hed probably be getting more minutes than he is here, and hed probably break the 50 point barrier by seasons end. If he stays healthy, he will break 40 points, which is very admirable for a guy whos making 1.2M a year.

If I had more time, I bet I could find at least 25 other forwards in this league who are making more than 1.2M and are producing less than Sammy...

Well put. :clap:

Maybe not 25 but I get your point. Samuelsson and Lilja are this sites whipping boys.

am I the only one who likes Lebda??? I mean honestly, I love having him on the team.

nope. I can assure you that you are not.

QFT

You all want every player to make huge hits, block shots, score 25 goals a season, play the PK and PP admirably, and have a bullet for a shot.

why is that so much to ask?

seriously though, for the money he makes and the minutes he plays, i'm fine with sammy.

why is that so much to ask?

seriously though, for the money he makes and the minutes he plays, i'm fine with sammy.

Ive grown fine with sammy, Ive kinda warmed up to him.. I dont want him moved, I dont see us getting much in return. and him on aline with Franzen,Kopecky seems to be working fine r8 now.

I dont see Samuelsson getting traded. Holland likes him too much and for his salary he brings much to the table.

Lebda also wont be going anywhere. He established himself as a NHL Player. He plays solid defensivly, has awesome speed and still some offensive potential. Furthermore is cheap too and propably wont get too expensive over the next years. So I cant imagine Holland would deal him.

I think the players who are most likely to be dealt are:

Meech + Quincey. We have lots of depth on young defensemen. Ericssion seems to be great and should make the team next year. We still have kindl who will be NHL ready after another year AHL. With Lilja maybe staying and Chelios not planning to retire, there wont be enaugh room to keep all of the young defensemen.

Meech and Quincey r young and decent players with potential who proved already that they have NHL caliber. So other teams will be interested in them.

I think Kopecky is likely to be moved too. Its nice having him on the team and I think he is doing quite well, but I can imagine Holland would move him.

Cant really think of anyone else who we would give away. In the past years, Holland hardly send away roster players apart from Williams last year who was struggeling with inconstancy.

Ive grown fine with sammy, Ive kinda warmed up to him.. I dont want him moved, I dont see us getting much in return. and him on aline with Franzen,Kopecky seems to be working fine r8 now.

Dont get me wrong, Im no fan of Sammy, and I have my "trade Sammy!" moments, but I just think the guys gets the short end of the stick around here...if Holland really wanted to place emphasis on grit/size, Sammy could easily be traded for a third liner with those credentials. Sammy DOES have value.

That said, I think Im with you. Id probably prefer to keep Sammy at this point, and instead trade Hudler for a bigger impact return than what Sammy would get us...

Nope, favorite wing. US born skates hard both ways. Agreed lots to learn however is doing well.

Guest Crymson
I should have added:

Cleary: contract year, really lit things up this year, still young enough to have some solid NHL seasons ahead if he keeps up the regimen

Of course there are reasons for and against each player being traded (for example, Cleary was a career underperformer before coming to Detroit), but it does make for interesting discussion. I think Hudler and some Griffins are our only true non-pick bait this season, but we'll see. Once again, I predict no major trades for us this season.

Cleary is on the last year of his contract. Why would a non-playoff bound team trade anything for him?

Cleary is on the last year of his contract. Why would a non-playoff bound team trade anything for him?

because they could be willing to offer him a larger contract than Detroit?