53 replies to this topic

#41 Earthhuman

Earthhuman

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:00 AM

QUOTE (Kp-Wings @ February 9, 2008 - 03:43AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, and that was all in a little hot-streak back in late November through Mid-December. What has he done since then?

Hudler hasn't scored a goal in 10 games. If he's not producing points, he's virtually useless, and contributes nothing when he doesn't score. If he is scoring, then he's fine, but otherwise, I see no reason for him to be in the lineup.

...and also, he may have more points than Filppula, but is nowhere near the all around player that Filppula is. Filppula is a better player, and can play a defensive role, as well as an offensive role. Hudler can only do one, and lately, he hasn't been doing what he's supposed to.

To be honest, I've never been a big Hudler fan. I know plenty of small guys in the NHL have gone on to have great careers (Marty St. Louis, Brian Gionta, Valeri Bure, Cliff Ronning, etc.), but for some reason, Hudler doesn't impress me. The only time I really see anything from him is in the shootout, which he is good in. But, the shootout isn't important enough to keep a guy around solely for that purpose. This season, scoring wise, he's been inconsistant at best. Maybe with more ice, he'd be scoring more, but it's hard to tell.

Overall, Hudler is not considered an "untouchable player" because you can find plenty of guys like him, whether it be in the draft, free agency, straight out of Europe (one of those three Swedish prospects, I think his last name was Klassen, has similar statistics and playing style over in Europe), or a variety of other places. If teams want Hudler, there is no reason why the Wings shouldn't give him up, if they can something decent for him. He's one of the players the Wings really can move.

Oh, and by the way... I hate Samuelsson, so you don't have to use him in an arguement to support Hudler, or any other player for that matter. wink.gif

Young players are bound to be inconsistent. Filppula has no points in his last 5 games, and is a -2. He also scored 9 goals in a 10-game span (November-December?).

He is a better forechecker, I will give him that... and always gives a lot of effort.

EDIT: Hudler is getting 12-15 minutes, except for last game. Filppula is also getting 12-15 minutes. Samuelsson is getting 13-16. So there.

Edited by Earthhuman, 09 February 2008 - 04:02 AM.

#42 daniel1

daniel1

#40 - UNSTOPPABLE

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:00 AM

Guys that I would trade: Hudler, Meech, Quincey, Pyett, Grigorenko! (lol)

Guys I would hang on to: (unless it's for Jokinen): Ericsson, Kindl, Filpulla, Abdelkader

Guys I would trade for: Jokinen, Prospal, Comrie
"And? If I did, I probably would have been a fighter, so what?"

Who knows; maybe you would realize that enforcers in hockey are critical to a teams chemistry and overall success?

#43 Canadian Wings

Canadian Wings

bullocks

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:07 AM

QUOTE (daniel1 @ February 9, 2008 - 04:00AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guys that I would trade: Hudler, Meech, Quincey, Pyett, Grigorenko! (lol)

Guys I would hang on to: (unless it's for Jokinen): Ericsson, Kindl, Filpulla, Abdelkader

Guys I would trade for: Jokinen, Prospal, Comrie

comrie? are u kidding me!? he's not what we need.

i'd trade hudler or quincey to get something decent back..ppl cant say oh i dont wanna trade quincey who is a what, 8th defensive option at this point? come on now

also, f***in lebda pisses me off. anytime he goes on one of his little rushes u know itll never amount to anything. he blazes down the ice like a mad man, then the puck goes off in the corner or something to that nature. i'd deal him for someone who can play in our system, with a decent sized body.

#44 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE (YoungGuns1340 @ February 8, 2008 - 08:49PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why do people think Sammy cannot be moved. Are you guys really serious?? Regardless of what he returns, he could EASILY be moved. Hes not stupid. Hes not small. Hes not slow. Hes not expensive. He doesnt have a bad attitude. Hes not skill-less. Hes not a defensive liability.

Wings fans are so spoiled. You all want every player to make huge hits, block shots, score 25 goals a season, play the PK and PP admirably, and have a bullet for a shot. Well I hate to break it to you, but not many teams have a 7-8 forward who does that. Theyre called depth players for a reason, and as such, they are only supposed to fill in the gaps. Sammy does exactly that.

On other teams, Sammy would probably be playing the PK. And the PP (in a better utilized position). Hed probably be getting more minutes than he is here, and hed probably break the 50 point barrier by seasons end. If he stays healthy, he will break 40 points, which is very admirable for a guy whos making 1.2M a year.

If I had more time, I bet I could find at least 25 other forwards in this league who are making more than 1.2M and are producing less than Sammy...

Magnificently put on Samuelsson and on Wings fans. clap.gif

#45 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE (YoungGuns1340 @ February 8, 2008 - 09:49PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why do people think Sammy cannot be moved. Are you guys really serious?? Regardless of what he returns, he could EASILY be moved. Hes not stupid. Hes not small. Hes not slow. Hes not expensive. He doesnt have a bad attitude. Hes not skill-less. Hes not a defensive liability.

Wings fans are so spoiled. You all want every player to make huge hits, block shots, score 25 goals a season, play the PK and PP admirably, and have a bullet for a shot. Well I hate to break it to you, but not many teams have a 7-8 forward who does that. Theyre called depth players for a reason, and as such, they are only supposed to fill in the gaps. Sammy does exactly that.

On other teams, Sammy would probably be playing the PK. And the PP (in a better utilized position). Hed probably be getting more minutes than he is here, and hed probably break the 50 point barrier by seasons end. If he stays healthy, he will break 40 points, which is very admirable for a guy whos making 1.2M a year.

If I had more time, I bet I could find at least 25 other forwards in this league who are making more than 1.2M and are producing less than Sammy...

clap.gif You hit the nail right on the head there!! It seems like Wings fans expect every player to be the next Steve Yzerman. I think Sammy's just fine here and I'd rather we not trade him. Lebda and Lilja I think we should keep for some defenceive depth.

Hudler, however, I think he's good enough to trade to another team. He doesn't get too much ice time here, and might be a good 2nd liner for someone else. I might trade Hudler for a defencemen incase one of our top 6 gets injured. I like him, but he might have more personal success elsewhere.

Edited by wingnut40, 09 February 2008 - 10:24 AM.

Go rest high on that mountain, cause son your work on Earth is done. Go to Heaven a'shouting love for the Father and the Son. Ruslan Salei, Brad McCrimmon, Stefan Liv, Pavol Demitra, and the entire Lokomotiv team.

#46 Kingston

Kingston

Rookie

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:39 AM

I Agree

#47 Lou_Siffer

Lou_Siffer

1 more win and im diggin' in!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:46 AM

I hate Sammy, but i agree, there would definitely be some takers out there. My issue is with people throwing his name out there in packages for players that are significantly better than him. There is zero upside to Sammy, which means teams are not going to give us anybody of real importance. The best you're going to get in a trade involving Sammy is a lateral move....similar to Williams for Calder. None of this Sammy and a pick for [insert good players name] crap.

Edited by Lou_Siffer, 09 February 2008 - 10:48 AM.

Aaron Downey tally = 4 Wins (Mclaren, PARROS, *Laperriere*, Wisniewski) - 1 L (**Boll**) - 5 Draws (Walker, Fedoruk, Davison, Shelley, O'Donnell)

(* = beatdown) (** = at the end of a shift)

Preseason prediction - Anaheim over Philadelphia in 6 (ok, well i'll settle for one right...)

#48 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,297 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE (Lou_Siffer @ February 9, 2008 - 09:46AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate Sammy, but i agree, there would definitely be some takers out there. My issue is with people throwing his name out there in packages for players that are significantly better than him. There is zero upside to Sammy, which means teams are not going to give us anybody of real importance. The best you're going to get in a trade involving Sammy is a lateral move....similar to Williams for Calder. None of this Sammy and a pick for [insert good players name] crap.

Sammy and a pick for [Brashear and Erskine] biggrin.gif

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#49 Lou_Siffer

Lou_Siffer

1 more win and im diggin' in!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE (GMRwings1983 @ February 9, 2008 - 12:31PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sammy and a pick for [Brashear and Erskine] biggrin.gif

Done deal! clap.gif
Aaron Downey tally = 4 Wins (Mclaren, PARROS, *Laperriere*, Wisniewski) - 1 L (**Boll**) - 5 Draws (Walker, Fedoruk, Davison, Shelley, O'Donnell)

(* = beatdown) (** = at the end of a shift)

Preseason prediction - Anaheim over Philadelphia in 6 (ok, well i'll settle for one right...)

#50 octopusdank

octopusdank

LETS GO REDWINGS

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE (Uncle Danny @ February 8, 2008 - 07:24PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I should have added:

Cleary: contract year, really lit things up this year, still young enough to have some solid NHL seasons ahead if he keeps up the regimen

Of course there are reasons for and against each player being traded (for example, Cleary was a career underperformer before coming to Detroit), but it does make for interesting discussion. I think Hudler and some Griffins are our only true non-pick bait this season, but we'll see. Once again, I predict no major trades for us this season.

uncle danny tanner??

thanks offsides!!

#51 auxlepli

auxlepli

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:24 PM

Well after reading this conversation, I can't think of anybody with upside. They do agree though that Sundin would be better than Hossa. That goes against what I was thinking. Still I'm not too big on anybody from the Wings current roster going away, for what they'll get in return.

#52 58Miles2Joe

58Miles2Joe

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:41 PM

Blake and Sundin, do it, Kenny. I've changed my avatar picture to assist you .

Posted Image

I believe in the end its a simple, simple game; no different than my two youngest fightin in the living room; you draw a line in the sand, and you decide who wants the ball more. And that's what hockey's about. - Babblecock

#53 Grittzkey

Grittzkey

L L L L SAD FACE

• HoF Booster
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:50 PM

common people. stop writing essays, its hard to read.
Lebda - Your Off The Team... My most used quote during the games.

#54 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,873 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:50 PM

QUOTE (58Miles2Joe @ February 10, 2008 - 12:11AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Blake and Sundin, do it, Kenny. I've changed my avatar picture to assist you .

If Kenny could get that done, for a price that doesnt f*** us too bad for the future, then wrap up the cup. Brian Burke would be shaking in shoes.

#NOMOREKINDL