• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
babygorilla

Trade deadline in 2 weeks. Your one winger, and D.

Rate this topic

Last night against the Blues, Stuart was definitely a factor offensively, even if it didn't end up on the scoresheet. Defensively he looked average. I didn't see any major gaffes. And being on the Kings, that's a positive. Especially because he wouldn't be carrying so many minutes on the Wings.

The question mark for me is if he's physical at all. He's got the size, but I haven't seen enough of him to know if he'd use it at all on the Wings, or if he plays with an edge. I didn't see anything like that from him last night, but it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

He definitely plays with an edge. Hes a gritty Dman, but I wouldnt call him all out physical. And he wont be winning any Lady Byngs any time soon. After all, he is the one that gave the cheapshot crosscheck to Zetterberg's back that caused all the problems he had last year.

I serriously think that Meech, Quincey, Hartigan, a first rounder, a second rounder, and hudler may go for Cammalari and Blake/stuart. I really think that Blake would be the better route, but Stuart would work on our team.

Plus Blake would return to us, Stuart will not.

i can go for that. couple of big phyiscal d - men in the trade talks.

the only think i would slightly object to is the blake trade - hes 38 - wouldn't that seem like a rental to you?

No actually, he is looking to sign in Detroit reguardless according to Chelios.

I think he is of the cailber of player that he could play 2-4 more years for us.

Provided he doesn't get the big money.

I think he will be a wing next year if we move Quincey and will make less then 4 million for us.

The question mark for me is if he's physical at all. He's got the size, but I haven't seen enough of him to know if he'd use it at all on the Wings, or if he plays with an edge. I didn't see anything like that from him last night, but it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

As YoungGuns noted, he definitely plays with an edge and does lay the wood on guys at times (i.e., Zetterberg's back)... He's (obviously) younger, is a good shot-blocker, etc... I don't think he'd be asked to do a lot offensively (maybe spot duty on the No. 2 PP unit), but would be more of a Lilja-type with less pylon.

Also, Blake's more of an injury risk with the ankle issue. If his injury wasn't in such a precarious spot I'd feel better about him, but it's not.

I serriously think that Meech, Quincey, Hartigan, a first rounder, a second rounder, and hudler may go for Cammalari and Blake/stuart. I really think that Blake would be the better route, but Stuart would work on our team.

Plus Blake would return to us, Stuart will not.

You know, that is a good deal both ways. Meech and Quincey may flourish on a team like LA. It would be too bad to lose

Hudler but the wings have the depth to fill the gap. LA would get some good young players that would likely be a better fit for a team like LA.

I'll probably be wrong, but I don't see the Wings getting an aging star, or any star for that matter. The Wings have a team right now that can compete for the Cup for the next several years. They don't need to empty the piggy bank to get an expensive rental because 2008 is not their last best shot at a Cup. The team isn't about to be disassembled to stay under the cap or to rebuild or anything like that. More likely is a scenario that sees them get some role players. Some tinkering around to match up with the core players on the team. They'll get a younger guy or two with speed and some desire.

Forget Federov, Blake, Hossa, Sundin et al. I just don't see the need when they bring no guarantees with them.

I see three possible combinations that would serve our needs and be realistic. Unfortunately, none of them inclue Hossa. They are all potential situations with teams that look to be missing the playoffs, and would cost no core roster players. Obviously, without knowing the NHL GMs involved, I cannot definitively state the trade value the involved players has, simply what I think might be a fair trade given the needs of the team in question.

Pavel Kubina, Maple Leafs and Mike Comrie, Islanders

This deal provides us with a big, physical, two-way defenseman with a big shot. It also adds a guy who is a proven goal scorer and capable setup man to our second unit. Kubina's contract is an albatross and Toronto would love to dump it off. Comrie is a UFA at season's end. Both players could potentially be retained depending on other contracts and cap movement. This deal would likely cost the most to swing, bnut would have the best long-term potential results.

Possible trade cost: Emmerton/McGrath, Helm/Andersson, Quincey, Meech/Lebda, a high-round pick and a mid-round pick to acquire both players.

Sergei Fedorov and Adam Foote, Blue Jackets

A single deal to acquire both players would shore up our secondary scoring, give us that PP point man, add physicality on the blueline, and vastly improve the team defensively. Both players are in the final year of their contract, and their UFA status is likely to offset the division rival tag and allow Detroit to acquire them without giving up significant assets.

Possible trade cost: Emmerton/McGrath, Meech/Lebda, and two mid-round picks to acquire both players.

Mike Cammalleri and Brad Stuart, Kings

Another single-team deal, it gives us a versatile scoring forward who is young and capable of playing all forward positions. It also gives us a decent defenseman who can play competently in both ends, albeit Stuart is more of a depth acquisition than Foote or Kubina. Stuart is a UFA after this season, and Cammalleri after next season, so that brings down the trade cost somewhat. This deal has better long-term potential than Fedorov/Foote, but is not as much of a 'now' addition and would also likely cost the most.

Possible trade cost: Hudler, Emmerton/McGrath, Quincey, and 1-2 high-round picks to acquire both players.

If it can be fit under the cap with a contract for Comrie and Kubina's $5, that is what I would do. If not, I would make the swap for Feds and Foote. If the second deal can't happen due to Columbus playoff aspirations, I would explore the third possibility.

What the Wings have been missing the last few years is a quality shot on the PP in the slot, like shanny and brett used to be. I took it for granted when they were here because they were always circling around the slot area waiting for the one timer bomb. we do not have that anymore. I think someone who would fill that criteria would greatly help out. That way this player could be on the 1st unit so we can spare Hank or Pav to help out on the 2nd unit, which makes the 2nd unit deadly as well with one of them on it.

ok im late to this party but here is my input

Lapointe, Stuart

I know, both sucking right now. But somehow I think this 2 additions would make our cup chance very good. My hunch

Anyway carry on

In all seriousness Gill would make a nice addition.

Are you serious? Hal Gill is a slower, dumber version of Derian Hatcher....if you can even imagine such a thing. Remember how well Hatcher did in Detroit?

There is not one single player Holland should give up for Gill

Are you serious? Hal Gill is a slower, dumber version of Derian Hatcher....if you can even imagine such a thing. Remember how well Hatcher did in Detroit?

I dont know man

Zetterberg for Gill would be a steal!

Alright, I liekly have a biased view here, since he is my 2nd favorite foward nehind PAvel Datsyuk... But I have been reading all over that Jagr may actually come to the Wings... which would be amazing.... I truly think, even with his bad season, the wings would help him play at a better level, which would generate a better level overall for the wings... I think Jagr is the best pick for wings...

I see three possible combinations that would serve our needs and be realistic. Unfortunately, none of them inclue Hossa. They are all potential situations with teams that look to be missing the playoffs, and would cost no core roster players. Obviously, without knowing the NHL GMs involved, I cannot definitively state the trade value the involved players has, simply what I think might be a fair trade given the needs of the team in question.

Pavel Kubina, Maple Leafs and Mike Comrie, Islanders

This deal provides us with a big, physical, two-way defenseman with a big shot. It also adds a guy who is a proven goal scorer and capable setup man to our second unit. Kubina's contract is an albatross and Toronto would love to dump it off. Comrie is a UFA at season's end. Both players could potentially be retained depending on other contracts and cap movement. This deal would likely cost the most to swing, bnut would have the best long-term potential results.

Possible trade cost: Emmerton/McGrath, Helm/Andersson, Quincey, Meech/Lebda, a high-round pick and a mid-round pick to acquire both players.

Sergei Fedorov and Adam Foote, Blue Jackets

A single deal to acquire both players would shore up our secondary scoring, give us that PP point man, add physicality on the blueline, and vastly improve the team defensively. Both players are in the final year of their contract, and their UFA status is likely to offset the division rival tag and allow Detroit to acquire them without giving up significant assets.

Possible trade cost: Emmerton/McGrath, Meech/Lebda, and two mid-round picks to acquire both players.

Mike Cammalleri and Brad Stuart, Kings

Another single-team deal, it gives us a versatile scoring forward who is young and capable of playing all forward positions. It also gives us a decent defenseman who can play competently in both ends, albeit Stuart is more of a depth acquisition than Foote or Kubina. Stuart is a UFA after this season, and Cammalleri after next season, so that brings down the trade cost somewhat. This deal has better long-term potential than Fedorov/Foote, but is not as much of a 'now' addition and would also likely cost the most.

Possible trade cost: Hudler, Emmerton/McGrath, Quincey, and 1-2 high-round picks to acquire both players.

If it can be fit under the cap with a contract for Comrie and Kubina's $5, that is what I would do. If not, I would make the swap for Feds and Foote. If the second deal can't happen due to Columbus playoff aspirations, I would explore the third possibility.

EVU,

Normally your the model of perfect reason, and I can see your points in all three of your possible deals, however given the limited number of sellers this year and the high number of buyers I don't think that an of those deals can happen as is. The most realistic of the three is Columbus even then I think bidding will drive the asking price higher. As far as the LA trade, I don't think LA has any intentions of moving Cammalleri for all the reasons you named, he will be one of their building blocks for the future and unless we are replacing that it wouldn't make sense. I don't think Hudler is enough, although I admit I know very little about Emmerton/McGrath's career potential. Just my 2 cents! :)

Edited by Booster313

Trade bait - Hudler, Filppula, Lebda, Sammy, Meech, maybe Quincey, 2nd, 3rd, 4th round picks.

Whom I'd like to see - Staios, Kubina, Stoll, maybe Ryder, ?, ?, ? - depends whom might be available since the deadline is early this year it's kinda tuff to determine who the sellers are just yet.

None of those players can help the wings get over the hump.

As far as trade bait goes filppula should not be on the list.

Gill is certainly not the same type of player as Hatcher.

I can't compare foot speed, because I'd hate to see either player in a race, but I can tell you that Gill compensates for his lack of speed much better than Hatcher, specifically, Gill uses his reach to his advantage whenever he can.

Gill doesn't try to throw big hits like Hatcher. Why? Because he's smart enough to realize that those kinds of plays will put him badly out of position. He's smart like that.

He can clear the front of the net, he plays a very solid PK game and he keeps it simple. I don't think you can ask much more of a 3rd-pairing defenceman.

But I guess you can just leave the blinders on and keep assumptions about Gill because he's big and on the slow side.

Edited by MacK_Attack

EVU,

Normally your the model of perfect reason, and I can see your points in all three of your possible deals, however given the limited number of sellers this year and the high number of buyers I don't think that an of those deals can happen as is. The most realistic of the three is Columbus even then I think bidding will drive the asking price higher. As far as the LA trade, I don't think LA has any intentions of moving Cammalleri for all the reasons you named, he will be one of their building blocks for the future and unless we are replacing that it wouldn't make sense. I don't think Hudler is enough, although I admit I know very little about Emmerton/McGrath's career potential. Just my 2 cents! :)

I know the feeling now is that there are little sellers and a whole lot of buyers. I would wager a peanut and a banana that in 13 days the playing field will be panned out a bit. They edge will consider those who are on the bubble, some are gonna get bumped.

That being said how close the playoff race this year is proof that the season needs to get shortened about 20 games.

Gill is certainly not the same type of player as Hatcher.

I can't compare foot speed, because I'd hate to see either player in a race, but I can tell you that Gill compensates for his lack of speed much better than Hatcher, specifically, Gill uses his reach to his advantage whenever he can.

Gill doesn't try to throw big hits like Hatcher. Why? Because he's smart enough to realize that those kinds of plays will put him badly out of position. He's smart like that.

He can clear the front of the net, he plays a very solid PK game and he keeps it simple. I don't think you can ask much more of a 3rd-pairing defenceman.

But I guess you can just leave the blinders on and keep assumptions about Gill because he's big and on the slow side.

No blinders here. I am subject to Leafs games every Saturday night thanks to HNIC, and all I see is Gill getting beat 1 on 1 with speed, and for a guy his size, why isn't he throwing hits like Hatcher? At least use your size for more then just clearing the front of the net. I think the fact the guy is on the Leafs 3rd D line tells all.

I just don't see him as much of an upgrade over anyone on the Wings back end - not the kind of trade deadline acquisition that puts the Wings over the top, IMO.

Stuart and Cammalleri would be fine with me, I wanted Cams when he was going to arbitration.

Stuart would be a great addition with the Kronwall situation going to IR!

Stuart and Cammalleri would be fine with me, I wanted Cams when he was going to arbitration.

Stuart would be a great addition with the Kronwall situation going to IR!

Stuart and Cammalleri would be an awesome trade. Now that would solve our second line center problem.