• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy24

Izzy24

Hmm...

• HoF Booster
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:05 PM

Chelios "hasn't closed the door on possibly playing in the 2010 Vancouver Olympics at the age of 48."

"If need be, I'm going to be honest, I would love to play in those Olympics," Chelios said Thursday on a USA Hockey conference call. "Because I think it's going to be one of the best ever. To have the greatest players in the world and the fact that it's going to be in North America. .."

I guess he's going to have to play at least a couple more years with the Wings to stay in game shape. thumbup.gif

Uh, the guy...the guy across the street is swee...sweeping his driveway and he...he...heduzzntevinow.

#2 Yzermaniac192005

Yzermaniac192005

Gordie/Sid/Ted - Stevie/Sergei/Shanny - Z/Dats/Homer.

• Gold Booster
  • 310 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:12 PM

Shoot, we're talkin about Captain America here. If he wants to play, he shall play. And he'll be with the Wings next year, theres no reason for him not to be. Old or not, the man does his job.

#3 HenrikRules40

HenrikRules40

I'm not a puck bunny.

• HoF Booster
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:31 PM

Awesome article. Thanks for posting Izzy. For some reason I never get around to TSN. Appreciate it.

I order someone to post the Captain America picture of Cheli.

#4 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:02 PM

What's to stop Chris Chelios from playing in both the Summer and Winter Olympics?

Good article, thanks for posting it. You gotta love Cheli. sly.gif
Go rest high on that mountain, cause son your work on Earth is done. Go to Heaven a'shouting love for the Father and the Son. Ruslan Salei, Brad McCrimmon, Stefan Liv, Pavol Demitra, and the entire Lokomotiv team.

#5 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,095 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:05 PM

The old man will break the age record.

#NOMOREKINDL

#6 Yemack

Yemack

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 846 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:07 PM

Wow I knew he was a machine but next olympic? I guess age really is just a number for him because he looks great now.

Maybe they should make a NHL award named after him. laugh.gif
We acquire the strength we have overcome.

#7 hardcoretom21

hardcoretom21

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:27 PM

God I hope I can look this good when I'm his age
Only breathing is more important than winning

"For most of a decade, the Wings were the most popular team not just because they won, but also because they won with flair, with speedy Russians and legendary leaders and the occasional willing fighter"

#8 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:49 PM

dear. god.

Chelios is unstoppable.
When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#9 Izzy24

Izzy24

Hmm...

• HoF Booster
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE (Yzerfan1999 @ February 14, 2008 - 08:49PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
dear. god.

Chelios is unstoppable.

I think his hockey career is just getting started.

Uh, the guy...the guy across the street is swee...sweeping his driveway and he...he...heduzzntevinow.

#10 StaticWithABeat

StaticWithABeat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:41 PM

Team USA has always tended to go heavy on the offensive D (Leetch, Housley, Suter...soon to be the Johnsons, Martin, Carle). Chelios' defensive game is always a good addition, even on the expanded ice surface. Not to mention he'd probably make a fantastic mentor for the likes of Jack Johnson and Mike Komisarek.

#11 irishtemper14+25

irishtemper14+25

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:22 AM

ooh i like the idea of havin chel til hes 50

Kudos to Teeman for the Sig
"You remember that chap a few years ago, climbed Everest with no oxygen, came down nearly dead...they asked him why he went up there to die. He said I didn't, I went up there to live."

#12 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:30 AM

What's to stop Chris Chelios from playing FOREVER??!! biggrin.gif

Hehe, just kidding. Great article, by the way. I'd love to see Chelios play that long.

#13 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:47 AM

I may be way off base with this one, but I think if Cheli isn't playing in DET for these last 100 years he is done hockey.
In another system that isn't so focussed on puck possession I think his body wears down.

If he were in Philly for example he would be expected to be laying out hits and playing physical. After all he is no lids (don't take that as an insult to Cheli.) and they do not play a very puck possession style.

So in Det, Col, Ott, Cheli plays until he is 65 because he is able to play a different style, where as in Chi, Phi, Edm, and others he plays until 45!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#14 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE (Detroit # 1 Fan @ February 14, 2008 - 09:05PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The old man will break the age record.

In the NHL? I don't think he will.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#15 interminded

interminded

Shiny Happy People

• HoF Booster
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:06 AM

From his player profile on NHLPA.com

Chris Chelios, hockeyplayer.

A man barely alive.
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him.
We have the technology.
We have the capability to build the world's first bionic hockeyplayer.
Chris Chelios will be that man.
Better than he was before.
Better, stronger, faster.

I went to buy some camouflage pants the other day but I couldn't find any.

#16 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:11 AM

I have to say it, Chelios is still able to play a bit in the NHL, but he certainly is nowhere near a top defensemen, which is who should be playing on an Olympic team (and I am talking about today). He's skills are only going to diminish more over the next 2 years.

#17 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:32 AM

Yeah but Toby what American national* player should take his spot.
The US is not terribly deep at the Blue line, and if he plays a roll similar to the one he plays in Det, 5-6 d-man, he won't be a problem at all.
Hell he is playing against the best in the world every game and is doing a lot better than many American national* D-men.

*I say national because I am not sure who has Dual citizenship like Hullie and can play for the USA.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#18 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (toby91_ca @ February 15, 2008 - 09:11AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have to say it, Chelios is still able to play a bit in the NHL, but he certainly is nowhere near a top defensemen, which is who should be playing on an Olympic team (and I am talking about today). He's skills are only going to diminish more over the next 2 years.

Where were you last years playoffs? Chelios proved he can be among the best. Not to mention you don't put crappy players on the penalty kill in absolutely crucial situations. He may be a bit slower, but he still hits, still plays an amazing defensive game, and still positions himself well. The guy never quits on the ice.

On another team (albeit like someone asid, maybe not a physical team), he's a top D. The only reason he plays a reduced role is because of fear of his age, but as he showed last year, he can handle top minutes.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#19 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:43 PM

I have heard that the 2010 olympics are going to be the last games that allow NHL players. Does this mean that Cheli will have to retire before the 2014 games in order to play for the USA? That would be sad.

Cheli can't quit; he'd rust.

#20 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:59 PM

Good on Cheli. Just means he'll be in a Wings uni for another 2 years thumbup.gif
IPB Image