• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Izzy24

Article about Chelios

Rate this topic

Chelios "hasn't closed the door on possibly playing in the 2010 Vancouver Olympics at the age of 48."

"If need be, I'm going to be honest, I would love to play in those Olympics," Chelios said Thursday on a USA Hockey conference call. "Because I think it's going to be one of the best ever. To have the greatest players in the world and the fact that it's going to be in North America. .."

I guess he's going to have to play at least a couple more years with the Wings to stay in game shape. :thumbup:

Wow I knew he was a machine but next olympic? I guess age really is just a number for him because he looks great now.

Maybe they should make a NHL award named after him. :lol:

Team USA has always tended to go heavy on the offensive D (Leetch, Housley, Suter...soon to be the Johnsons, Martin, Carle). Chelios' defensive game is always a good addition, even on the expanded ice surface. Not to mention he'd probably make a fantastic mentor for the likes of Jack Johnson and Mike Komisarek.

I may be way off base with this one, but I think if Cheli isn't playing in DET for these last 100 years he is done hockey.

In another system that isn't so focussed on puck possession I think his body wears down.

If he were in Philly for example he would be expected to be laying out hits and playing physical. After all he is no lids (don't take that as an insult to Cheli.) and they do not play a very puck possession style.

So in Det, Col, Ott, Cheli plays until he is 65 because he is able to play a different style, where as in Chi, Phi, Edm, and others he plays until 45!

From his player profile on NHLPA.com

Chris Chelios, hockeyplayer.

A man barely alive.

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him.

We have the technology.

We have the capability to build the world's first bionic hockeyplayer.

Chris Chelios will be that man.

Better than he was before.

Better, stronger, faster.

I have to say it, Chelios is still able to play a bit in the NHL, but he certainly is nowhere near a top defensemen, which is who should be playing on an Olympic team (and I am talking about today). He's skills are only going to diminish more over the next 2 years.

Yeah but Toby what American national* player should take his spot.

The US is not terribly deep at the Blue line, and if he plays a roll similar to the one he plays in Det, 5-6 d-man, he won't be a problem at all.

Hell he is playing against the best in the world every game and is doing a lot better than many American national* D-men.

*I say national because I am not sure who has Dual citizenship like Hullie and can play for the USA.

I have to say it, Chelios is still able to play a bit in the NHL, but he certainly is nowhere near a top defensemen, which is who should be playing on an Olympic team (and I am talking about today). He's skills are only going to diminish more over the next 2 years.

Where were you last years playoffs? Chelios proved he can be among the best. Not to mention you don't put crappy players on the penalty kill in absolutely crucial situations. He may be a bit slower, but he still hits, still plays an amazing defensive game, and still positions himself well. The guy never quits on the ice.

On another team (albeit like someone asid, maybe not a physical team), he's a top D. The only reason he plays a reduced role is because of fear of his age, but as he showed last year, he can handle top minutes.

I have heard that the 2010 olympics are going to be the last games that allow NHL players. Does this mean that Cheli will have to retire before the 2014 games in order to play for the USA? That would be sad.

Cheli can't quit; he'd rust.

Has Cheli said anything about playing with his son? I think he's in college now right?

"I would go to those Olympics and take my sons with me because I think it's going to be one of the best Olympics," said Chelios.

I'm pretty sure he means they would go as fans if he wasn't on the team. Having multiple Chelioses on the team would be awesome!