• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SinBinHockey

Last player with a 60 goal season was 1995-1996

Rate this topic

So I looked it up and the last season that a player scored 60+ goals was in the 1995-1996 season. Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr both had 60+ goals that season and were both on the Penguins.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues...hl19271996.html

With Ovechkin playing at his all-time best he most definitely will hit 60 goals and if he keeps up the pace and maybe even has a shot at 70 goals. The last season that a player scored 70+ goals was in the 1992-1993 season. Both Teemu Selanne and Alexander Mogilny had 76 goals that season.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues...hl19271993.html

My question is how many goals does Ovechkin have a shot at and how many years can he keep that up. He plays on a terrible team so I couldn't imagine what he could do with a solid first line and PP. On a real team i think he could score 80+ goals. What are your thoughts on this?

he'll definitly hit 60 this year, but wont get 70. within the next couple of years, i would assume he will hit 70. On a good team with 2 playmakers I wouldnt doubt this guy has the ability to score 80 goals.

He plays on a terrible team so I couldn't imagine what he could do with a solid first line and PP. On a real team i think he could score 80+ goals. What are your thoughts on this?

Washington isn't necessarily a terrible team. They're a young team that's been burned by bad leadership and some deals that looked good on paper, but failed to deliver (Jagr, Nylander). There's a lot of talent on that team, and as it matures, we'll see them emerge as a real contender in the Southeast. As it is, the division is up in the air and the Caps aren't out of the playoff picture yet.

So I looked it up and the last season that a player scored 60+ goals was in the 1995-1996 season. Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr both had 60+ goals that season and were both on the Penguins.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues...hl19271996.html

With Ovechkin playing at his all-time best he most definitely will hit 60 goals and if he keeps up the pace and maybe even has a shot at 70 goals. The last season that a player scored 70+ goals was in the 1992-1993 season. Both Teemu Selanne and Alexander Mogilny had 76 goals that season.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues...hl19271993.html

My question is how many goals does Ovechkin have a shot at and how many years can he keep that up. He plays on a terrible team so I couldn't imagine what he could do with a solid first line and PP. On a real team i think he could score 80+ goals. What are your thoughts on this?

No team over .500 is "terrible". They have a young team with lots of energy and are exciting to watch. Far from terrible. Sometimes I question how many people here actually watch teams other than Detroit.

Anyways I think he'll get around 65-70 while just missing the 70 mark. Utterly amazing in todays NHL.

No team over .500 is "terrible". They have a young team with lots of energy and are exciting to watch. Far from terrible. Sometimes I question how many people here actually watch teams other than Detroit.

Anyways I think he'll get around 65-70 while just missing the 70 mark. Utterly amazing in todays NHL.

I've actually ended up watching more Caps games than Detroit games. Much more exciting really and Ovie is just insanely entertaining.

Ovechkin = a younger Alexander Mogilny

Ovechkin is sooooooo much more than Mogilny ever was (and I always like A-Mol). He hasn't got Pat LaFontaine feeding him the puck either.

I agree that the Caps are a real exciting team to watch. With all their young talent they would be a blast to watch in an 80s style NHL :siren:

I think if you put Ovechkin on a better team (not that the Caps are terrible), he'd have less goals. No way would he be shooting the puck as much as he doesn now if he played for the Wings.

So that is one little argument, but I guess the real point is that I don't like it when people say if this player played on this team instead of the team they are playing on, etc. You can make arguments both ways, so instead of that, just look at what a guy is doing on the team he is playing for.

Ovechkin is sooooooo much more than Mogilny ever was (and I always like A-Mol).

He probably has the talent to by much more than Mogilny.

But what AO has shown so far is not better than Mogilny's level of play in his heyday.

Remember, the man had a 127 point season at one point...

I think if you put Ovechkin on a better team (not that the Caps are terrible), he'd have less goals. No way would he be shooting the puck as much as he doesn now if he played for the Wings.

So that is one little argument, but I guess the real point is that I don't like it when people say if this player played on this team instead of the team they are playing on, etc. You can make arguments both ways, so instead of that, just look at what a guy is doing on the team he is playing for.

Exactly.

I think the big reason he has such a high goal total is due to the poor team he plays on. If you throw him on a team with offensive balance his numbers would drop.

It's no knock on AO, as the guy is a phenomenal talent but I feel it would take away from his total.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

I disagree with the move AO and he scores less.

It matters where he is moved to and who his center would be.

Put him on the wings with Dats setting him up and those two would flourish together. Dats playmaking ability plus AO's ability to get open for that nasty one timer!!

Dats would probably have 5 goals all season but his 90 assists would more than make up for it.

AO in SJ with Thornton as his center look out, those two with their physical style of play and Thornton playmaking ability plus AO's ability to get open for that nasty one timer!!

Now trade him to Det and put him on a line centered by Z and the results would be different. The two would have really good numbers, but they would probably be balanced between G and A for both of them.

Plus the other winger makes a difference.

For example: AO Dats Homer would be deadly. Homer screening working the corners AO hitting and getting open, dats passing. Damn.

The other example:

AO Z Homer, again it would be a very balanced attack and would still probably be the best line in hockey, but AO's numbers would be less than they are in WAS.

Very few centers can pass like Joe T, Dats, Marc Savard, so if AO was with one of those guys he would have better numbers, IMO, as opposed to centers like Z, Lang, Marleau he would have great numbers but they would be more balanced between A and G.

Give him and Backstrom a little more time to get more chemistry going.

They just have began to click and Backstrom is a hell of a player, but still pretty young. Put one more playmaker on that line and they would dominate in a year.

You guys are talking like Washington's big problem is offense. Its really not. Semin and Nylander have been decent, as has Kozlov. Clark can pick up some points here and there as can Fleischmann. And Backstrom has really come on centering Ovechkin. Not to mention the goal scoring machine Dman that is Mike Green. In reality, they'd have a great offense if they had one more top 6 winger. Theyre actually a GOOD team this year, and have really started developing chemistry. Their biggest issues are D and goaltending. Their D is pretty young, but they really dont have any bona fide top pairing Dmen - and before you say Mike Green based on his offense, his defense is nowhere near Top 2 caliber. As for Kolzig, well hes had some rough outings and has been pretty inconsistent this year. Looks like age is catching up to him.

Im going to say that if Ovechkin stays healthy - which is likely...hes no Sidney Crosby - then hell hit 64.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

Nylander played 40 games in which he had 11 goals and 26 assists (37 points). Pretty good if you consider the caps and backstrom had a very slow start. (backstrom's first time playing in usa and the nhl - ofc he had a slow start - also nylander's first time playing with the caps - takes some time to get to know how the players play and get some chemistry going right?). Anyway yes I'm a Nylander fan and yes I try to defend him

Regarding Backstrom: I think he'll be a 90 point player if he stays with the caps and AO. I also think he's going to be one of the top best feeders in the nhl within a couple of years

edit: sorry i just realized this was totally of topic

i think AO will hit 59-64 goals this season and i think you are wrong when you say he plays on a terrible team

Edited by hak