• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingNutt

A Fedorov return to Wings makes sense

Rate this topic

How is no one bothered by the most important line:

Fedorov has persistent tendinitis in his wrist!!!!!!!

Um, that is not a good thing, for a guy who is supposed to have a great shot, that has got to mess that shot up just a little!

Well consider the source. Besides, I'm pretty sure no ones really thinking long term here. Although Z's about to sign the biggest contract in Wings history, and he's not exactly a picture of perfect health with his wrist or back either. It's all a crap shoot, and when it boils down to it Kenny's going to go with what he feels is the safest bet, after losing a risky bet last year.

He since you know him because you know he would love being on the wings, I hate to ask, but can you get me an autograph.

Thanks

/sarcasm!

i wish i knew him, but your attempt at sarcasm is ridiculous because you could say the same about people who claim he "craves the spotlight". wouldn't they need to know how he feels also to say something like that. thought so. but anyway it's pretty clear to know someone you watch every game through his actions and expressions etc. it's clear he isn't about scoring 30+ goals anymore, he just wants to win and be responsible defensively and be a good role model for the younger guys on the jackets. i think we could all agree with that.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

If we didn't need a more rugged winger up front I would not mind Sergei coming back.

If we didn't need a big, physical defenseman I would not mind Sergei coming back.

I don't boo the man, never have. I don't hold a grudge against him. I don't mind that he signed that offer sheet from Carolina.

There are only 2 things that bother me when it comes Fedorov.

1. When LGWers put him on a pedestal when HE signed an offer sheet to leave Detroit. Don't talk to me about loyalty or raising his jersey to the rafters because of 3 Cups. We gonna raise Draper and Maltby's jerseys as well?

So long as the conversations stay away from jersey retirements and whatnot, I have no problem with him as a player. He intended to leave. So be it. Good for him. But no jersey retirement for you. That was his choice.

2. The talk about him playing defense just boggles my mind. Fedorov, for as great as he is doesn't give us the kind of defenseman we need. We need somebody who can match up physically against a lineup with forwards as big and as feisty as Getlzaf and Perry. Fedorov is not a physical dman and that's what we need. We need somebody who can move people out of the way and make them pay a price when there are loose pucks in the crease. He's not going to do that and he's not going to win enough battles along the boards against guys who are younger and stronger than him.

If we want some help with secondary scoring I think he'd be a good option. He doesn't need to have blazing speed or be 26 years old to prove to me he can still rack up points. Surrounded by red/white jerseys i'm pretty sure he can produce.

But come playoff time, he'd be just another player like the many others we have that couldn't get it done.

Bigger, stronger, tougher to play against. That's what we need. God what I wouldn't give to have someone like Travis Moen.

I'm not totally against him coming back but he's definitely down at the bottom of my priority list for what this team is lacking.

PS: Those of you who can read between the lines, hopefully you won't paint me as a Fedorov basher. My saying he doesn't fit what I THINK are our most pressing needs isn't a knock on Fedorov in any way.

Edited by GordieSid&Ted

No I didn't forget, but seeing how well that worked out for Atlanta and the Matthias deal, I don't expect to see as many crazy deals as we have in the past few years.

That's not entirely true either. The closer we get to the deadline the more teams have made their deals and have thus bowed out of some others. The longer you wait (and I mean up until the last couple hours) the better your chances are of landing someone for a minimal return.

the atlanta and mattias deals are exactly my point, they arent going to overpay. If there are multiple teams in it, the price will go up. It just depends on how long each of them bluff until they fold.

Exactly, besides the fact that the toronto sun article provided earlier makes it sound as though Columbus will pay the Wings just to take him off thier hands. :rolleyes:

Not sure what article you read....... the one I posted today said that they may not even deal him. Thats Toronto though, so take it for what its worth.

How is no one bothered by the most important line:

Fedorov has persistent tendinitis in his wrist!!!!!!!

Um, that is not a good thing, for a guy who is supposed to have a great shot, that has got to mess that shot up just a little!

He's a hockey player for crying out loud! In '02 Yzerman could barely walk without crutches......Mario Lemiuex played the 2nd half of his career with a back so bad he couldn't bend down and tie his laces....Gordie Howe has a knee like a deflated balloon.....

Anyone who's been in the NHL 10+ years will have a body that hurts. They play through it. Thats what Hockey players do.

Feds can play PK, PP, 2nd 3rd or 4th line. We can afford his salary. We can resign him cheaply. He has 163 points in 162 playoff games. As long as the cost isn't too much, I find his acquisition a no-brainer.

If we didn't need a more rugged winger up front I would not mind Sergei coming back.

If we didn't need a big, physical defenseman I would not mind Sergei coming back.

I don't boo the man, never have. I don't hold a grudge against him. I don't mind that he signed that offer sheet from Carolina.

1. When LGWers put him on a pedestal when HE signed an offer sheet to leave Detroit. Don't talk to me about loyalty or raising his jersey to the rafters because of 3 Cups. We gonna raise Draper and Maltby's jerseys as well?

So long as the conversations stay away from jersey retirements and whatnot, I have no problem with him as a player. He intended to leave. So be it. Good for him. But no jersey retirement for you. That was his choice.

2. The talk about him playing defense just boggles my mind. Fedorov, for as great as he is doesn't give us the kind of defenseman we need. We need somebody who can match up physically against a lineup with forwards as big and as feisty as Getlzaf and Perry. Fedorov is not a physical dman and that's what we need. We need somebody who can move people out of the way and make them pay a price when there are loose pucks in the crease. He's not going to do that and he's not going to win enough battles along the boards against guys who are younger and stronger than him.

If we want some help with secondary scoring I think he'd be a good option. He doesn't need to have blazing speed or be 26 years old to prove to me he can still rack up points. Surrounded by red/white jerseys i'm pretty sure he can produce.

But come playoff time, he'd be just another player like the many others we have that couldn't get it done.

Bigger, stronger, tougher to play against. That's what we need. God what I wouldn't give to have someone like Travis Moen.

I'm not totally against him coming back but he's definitely down at the bottom of my priority list for what this team is lacking.

PS: Those of you who can read between the lines, hopefully you won't paint me as a Fedorov basher. My saying he doesn't fit what I THINK are our most pressing needs isn't a knock on Fedorov in any way.

Holy cow, did hell just freeze over?!? :o

Just messing with you gordo, and believe it or not i agree about the blueline. To me it's not so much the Wings having to have big forwards to contend against say the ducks, but moreso the D. The cycle and down low play has burned the wings the past few years in the playoffs and really exposes the weakness in the D. You wanna beat Lids, dump it in and get some forechecking going it's no secret. And while i do like the guy, Ralf scares me come playoff time. He doesn't seem to avoid checks as well as Lids, and is probably the least physical player not only on D but the team. I didn't like it at first, but I'd like to see Blake come in too. And I think Cheli's got a few tricks (elbow, slew foots, slashes) left up his sleeves to make himself more physical come playoff time.

Lids-Lilja

Blake-Ralf

Cheli- Kronner

i wish i knew him, but your attempt at sarcasm is ridiculous because you could say the same about people who claim he "craves the spotlight". wouldn't they need to know how he feels also to say something like that. thought so. but anyway it's pretty clear to know someone you watch every game through his actions and expressions etc. it's clear he isn't about scoring 30+ goals anymore, he just wants to win and be responsible defensively and be a good role model for the younger guys on the jackets. i think we could all agree with that.

Difference is:

Fedorov has proven the limelight was what he once saught, and that Detroit is not quite a home to him, or he would have stayed and not left for less money. (after thinking about it that may not have been the case, less money that is)

I am not bitter either so please don't throw that around, I could care that is the state of pro sports today. But to say he would love to be in Detroit when he already left, and has already craved the spot light are two different things.

Edited by Opie

the atlanta and mattias deals are exactly my point, they arent going to overpay. If there are multiple teams in it, the price will go up. It just depends on how long each of them bluff until they fold.

No, more teams won't be in the mix because the majority of them will have already made their deals. Right now, we have more buyers than sellers but the closer we get to the deadline the more sellers there are than buyers.

Again, I don't see any big Tkachuk type of mistakes this year but there's still going to be plenty of people on the move. If Feds' "price tag" that *you* mentioned isn't met (which I don't think it will be) it will favor the team that waits the others out and makes a late deal.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Not sure what article you read....... the one I posted today said that they may not even deal him. Thats Toronto though, so take it for what its worth.

I read the one that said this:

"But while Sundin is healthy if not agreeable to a trade, the Blue Jackets couldn't deal Fedorov if they wanted." - toronto sun article you posted

You pretty much just said everything that I was thinking while reading through this thread. I want this guy back, because I have this feeling that when he steps back onto the ice in the red&white again he'll get a standing ovation that then we'll get that goosebump feeling, and then he'll live up to it, but like its been said in this thread, its a crapshoot.

He clearly is NOT the defenseman that this team needs, but I think that he can fill the secondary scoring void pretty well, because he is a proven playoff performer. This is assuming that Holland isn't going to try to tade for one of the big boys.

All in all, I'd be pretty pumped if on trade deadline day when I am watching TSN's Trade Central special, a picture of Fedorov's swarthy face and slicked back hair popped up in the top right corner, superimposed over the picture of the Winged Wheel!

(But we still need a big defenseman!!!! Maybe another big forward, too!!!)

Let's get Aaron Ward and Mathieu Dandenault back. Hey, Kozzie too. He can provide some secondary scoring. Anyone?

Actually while i'm sure your just trying to be clever, those aren't that bad of suggestions if they were really avalible. Wards just the type of guy they could use back there and honestly i'd rather have Dandenault over lebda although i do like the guy. Kozzie was clutch in the playoffs, and replacing Hudler with him would be a huge upgrade. While were at it, yeah i'd take Lapointe over Drake too. :D

Uuuummmm I've been saying this for a while now. It's just nice to see the media agrees with what I said. Feds has real value he can offer this team. Playing both offense & defense. It's time to bring a legend back to town!!!!!

:blink: What is this? More and more people warming up to the idea of Sergei coming home? I cannot believe what I am reading. I have been beating the Fedorov drum pretty much since he left in 03'. All season long I have been talking (along with others, I wan't the only one) about trading for him at the deadline. Now, rather than most people telling me to forget about it, or I hate him, or he'd never come back because he gets booed, or he lazy and he sucks (oh wait, that was some other player :P )

...now, a lot of people (who were against, I mean DEAD set against him coming back) are actually supporting the idea? Wow! Welcome to the dark side folks! I have been waiting for you! Just as you guys are warming up to the idea, you will all cheer him when he steps on the ice for the first time! And when he scores that power play goal that gives us a 2 goal cushion on Anaheim in game 5 this season, he will be the king again! I see it, I've seen it and as I have said all year long, he will return, whether at the deadline or UFA. #91 will fly again, on the ice and then in the rafters where it belongs!!! It is set in stone! (even if we're outbid by Ottawa, he will be as a UFA!)

:blink: What is this? More and more people warming up to the idea of Sergei coming home? I cannot believe what I am reading. I have been beating the Fedorov drum pretty much since he left in 03'. All season long I have been talking (along with others, I wan't the only one) about trading for him at the deadline. Now, rather than most people telling me to forget about it, or I hate him, or he'd never come back because he gets booed, or he lazy and he sucks (oh wait, that was some other player :P )

...now, a lot of people (who were against, I mean DEAD set against him coming back) are actually supporting the idea? Wow! Welcome to the dark side folks! I have been waiting for you! Just as you guys are warming up to the idea, you will all cheer him when he steps on the ice for the first time! And when he scores that power play goal that gives us a 2 goal cushion on Anaheim in game 5 this season, he will be the king again! I see it, I've seen it and as I have said all year long, he will return, whether at the deadline or UFA. #91 will fly again, on the ice and then in the rafters where it belongs!!! It is set in stone! (even if we're outbid by Ottawa, he will be as a UFA!)

I was never against him. Been a fan since the beginning, and would be THRILLED to have him back.

I keep envisioning a Cleary/Feds/Flip line.

Believe it or not I've never been against bringing him back. I was bitter when he left for the Ducks but if he had come right back I would have been all for it. I just think right now, he'd make an excellent fit with this team and he is the right price.

I know everyone heard about the 1st round and prospect...and I gotta ask you all, since when do the Wings ever need a first rounder? I don't wanna start naming names (Z, Dats, Homer etc) but the scouts do a damn good job finding talent. That price isn't that high compared to what Atl or Tor wants for Hossa/Sundin, and we all know this team needs secondary scoring BADLY.

Believe it or not I've never been against bringing him back. I was bitter when he left for the Ducks but if he had come right back I would have been all for it. I just think right now, he'd make an excellent fit with this team and he is the right price.

I know everyone heard about the 1st round and prospect...and I gotta ask you all, since when do the Wings ever need a first rounder? I don't wanna start naming names (Z, Dats, Homer etc) but the scouts do a damn good job finding talent. That price isn't that high compared to what Atl or Tor wants for Hossa/Sundin, and we all know this team needs secondary scoring BADLY.

Ditto, to all of it. Fedorov would do nothing to worsen our club. At worst, we break even on talent. He only has upside.

A bigger shot on the point on the 2nd PP unit than Sammy: Check

A person who shoots more than passes, but CAN pass: Check

Strong on the puck: Check

Defensively responsible: Check plus

Someone Pavel can talk to: Check

He's a hockey player for crying out loud! In '02 Yzerman could barely walk without crutches......Mario Lemiuex played the 2nd half of his career with a back so bad he couldn't bend down and tie his laces....Gordie Howe has a knee like a deflated balloon.....

Anyone who's been in the NHL 10+ years will have a body that hurts. They play through it. Thats what Hockey players do.

Feds can play PK, PP, 2nd 3rd or 4th line. We can afford his salary. We can resign him cheaply. He has 163 points in 162 playoff games. As long as the cost isn't too much, I find his acquisition a no-brainer.

You forgot about Theo Fleury playing without half a liver...... :rolleyes:

Ditto, to all of it. Fedorov would do nothing to worsen our club. At worst, we break even on talent. He only has upside.

Since the salary cap came into place everyone needs a 1st rounder. Can't just write unlimited checks anymore. Feds upside left years ago, hes on the downside. Pavel has people to talk to, he told Babcock he speaks 1 and a half languages !

Since the salary cap came into place everyone needs a 1st rounder. Can't just write unlimited checks anymore. Feds upside left years ago, hes on the downside. Pavel has people to talk to, he told Babcock he speaks 1 and a half languages !

I meant upside as in no downside. As in, "what's the worse that could happen?"

Its more about the moves that ARENT made because we get Fedorov. Thats the downside to it. Just like last year, going for Bertuzzi was a risk based on the fact that if he didnt get healthy, then you missed out on other people that were available because you went that route. If the Wings give up a 1st for Fedorov, thats probably all theyre going to do. So if you're like me and dont see him as a solution to areas of need, then that makes it a bad move in that sense....cause nothing else will get done. Not to mention i hardly believe he's an answer to 2nd line scoring...