• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingNutt

A Fedorov return to Wings makes sense

Rate this topic

Read the article here-----------

Thought this would be posted by now but it hasn't been, I for one am one of the few supporters of having Fedorov come back to Detroit, He would fit with this team perfectly and is comfortable with the system, city, most of the players, and his family still lives here. I think he would work out well for us in many different ways, Imagine him on a powerplay on the point with Datsyuk, or on the penalty kill, shorthanded goals would increase, and his playoff experiece especially with the Wings is something that not every other potential pick-up can bring to the table.

I say Sergei comes home where he belongs and retires a wing.

"Sergei could help any team out there, and in the case of the Wings, he would know the system and what was expected of him," said Brian Engblom, a Versus analyst who used to be the Blue Jackets' color analyst. "Now, you're probably not going to get the offensive player from a number of years ago. But nobody in the league thinks the game like this guy does."

Fedorov's versatility -- he can play forward or defense -- experience, and deft offensive skills make him an intriguing possibility.

"He's in great shape and I don't think he's lost any of his skills, that's for sure," said Wings defenseman Chris Chelios, who keeps in touch with Fedorov.

Chelios doesn't think Fedorov would mind a return to Detroit.

"I know he loves Detroit," Chelios said. "His family is still here. I'm sure it would be an option (when Fedorov becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer).

"He has a lot of friends (in Detroit). He gets back here as much as he can. I know he likes Detroit a lot."

Detroit fans haven't returned the love. Fedorov has been a target of fans who felt jilted when he left as a free agent.

"That doesn't matter," Chelios said. "They'll welcome him back with open arms. He's going to be a favorite if he ever comes back here."

so in closing I would like to add,

Whats to stop Chris Chelios from bringing Sergei Fedorov back to Detroit?

Edited by WingNutt

You're not alone in the wish that he'd come back. Articles like this always bring me hope. His holdout in 1997-98 really tore me up knowing what kind of player was "waiting in the wings", so to speak.

I think the idea is more realistic now. He DOES fit with what the Wings need. In fact, he brings the defensive aspect we lack as well as solid second line scoring. So while we're trying to argue over two players we can pick up, in reality he could be both in one.

As long as he wouldn't screw up the chemistry, and we can get him on the cheap, I say go for it. No one else is probably looking for him.

This is the move I think will be smartest for the Red Wings --

Will not have to sacrifice much future to get him.

Knows Red Wings system.

Perfect replacement for Samuelsson on the 2nd PP point.

Possibilty he will sign here as a free agent w/ a home-town discount.

Best case scenario - Solid two-way forward and legitimate scoring threat from the second line. Performs well in the playoffs like he has every single time he has been in them.

Worst case scenario - Is injured or plays more of a defensive role.

I can live with that. Perfect "high payoff / low risk" acquisition that Holland smartly seems to go after.

Edited by egroen

I am ALMOST in support of a limited role; power-play point on the second unit. Secondary scoring MAYBE. He's not nearly as good as he used to be... oh, and I hate him.

I havent been on the Bring Back Feds bandwagon lately..

BUT BUT..

Im warming up to the idea.

Same here. I really like the idea of having him play the point on the second power play unit. Lidstrom and Rafalski are are only true point threats, and we have no forward who even has a half decent point shot *glares at Samuelson*.

A few weeks back I watched the Rangers play the Maple Leafs on HNIC, and there was old Shanny playing the point on the Rangers PP. He absolutely blasted a shot top shelf on Andrew Raycroft, and it really made me wonder why nobody can do that on our team (forwards). I know for a fact that Fedorov still has the same shot he had back in his Wing years.

I personally want Sergei back to man our 2nd PP unit. I don't know how everyone else really sees him fitting into the lineup otherwise, but for me he's a 3rd liner, maybe 2nd right now with the injuries, BUT he'd do absolute wonders for our PP. We can finally kick Sammy off the line and let Sergei try to set things up.

Read the article here-----------

Thought this would be posted by now but it hasn't been, I for one am one of the few supporters of having Fedorov come back to Detroit, He would fit with this team perfectly and is comfortable with the system, city, most of the players, and his family still lives here. I think he would work out well for us in many different ways, Imagine him on a powerplay on the point with Datsyuk, or on the penalty kill, shorthanded goals would increase, and his playoff experiece especially with the Wings is something that not every other potential pick-up can bring to the table.

I say Sergei comes home where he belongs and retires a wing.

so in closing I would like to add,

Whats to stop Chris Chelios from bringing Sergei Fedorov back to Detroit?

:thumbup::D

Most probably already know my stance on the issue. But even if he doesn't return to the Wings, you can bet a playoff bound or fringe team is going to snap him up. Ottawa and Pittsburgh have also been rumored, i just know i'd rather have the guy on my team than having to face him in the playoffs.

From the Wings "official" website:

If Steve Yzerman is the heart and soul of the Detroit Red Wings, then Sergei Fedorov is the blood that pumps life into the team. He can electrify a crowd with an end-to-end rush, or defend a lead with his tenacious checking skills.

"He's a gamebreaker," Detroit center Kris Draper said of Fedorov. The Red Wings record book is filled with marks etched by Fedorov.

Only Gordie Howe, Yzerman and Alex Delvecchio have accumulated more points in a Detroit uniform than the 803 produced by Fedorov.

Fedorov can be an enigmatic player, but there's no doubt that without him, the Stanley Cup might never have come to town.

Let the Baaaaaaaaahhhhh's turn to Cheers!

Come back to hockeytown baby!

There is also an article in the Toronto Sun that includes Fedorov perhaps coming to Detroit, but not in a trade but in Free Agency. Fedorov is still owed 2 million for THIS year. Scroll down through the article, you see the paragraph.

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Hockey/20...848899-sun.html

Edited by 2probert4

FEDS FEDS FEDS FEDS FEDS FEDS FEDS FEDS FEDS

everyone imagine this......

"Everyone, can you give a standing ovation for the new, but not so new, SERGIE FEDEROV"!!!!!!

Crowd: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA i love you sergie!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

One interesting thing no one has brought up yet is that, besides knowing the system in Detroit, Fedorov has also played under Babcock. An important question is, was there any friction between Babcock and Fedorov in Anaheim? If there was, I wouldn't bet on him coming back to the D any time soon.

I've got to admit I'm getting intrigued by the idea of Fedeorov given the right price. I don't see him costing the Wings an arm and a leg non-monetarily wise, and Fedorov does fill a few different needs. He'd be huge on the second PP unit in replacing Samuelsson. He has one hell of a shot from the blue line and if the Wings brought him back they may be able to get away with bringing in a bruiser Dman that won't brake the bank (ala Blake).

Also, Fedorov brings balance to the offensive second line and is a proven playoff goal scorer. As I said before, given the right price, I guess I'd take Fedorov back seeing the potential holes he could fill.

So what is the price of Feds, I am not sure he can fill the second pp point role simply because I think one of the forwards from that unit will go the other way.

I just don't see the BJ's taking prospects for Feds. But hey if they do lose a forward maybe they can move Sammy to a forward spot and Feds the point.

There is also an article in the Toronto Sun that includes Fedorov perhaps coming to Detroit, but not in a trade but in Free Agency. Fedorov is still owed 2 million for THIS year. Scroll down through the article, you see the paragraph.

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Hockey/20...848899-sun.html

I think the Toronto Sun used a nice rounded up number for Fedorov.

If the Wings picked him up on the day of the deadline, I've got him costing roughly $1.283 million for the remainder of the season.

Will Fedorov Wing it back to Detroit?

Sergei Fedorov | Blue Jackets | Interested: Red Wings? Senators?

There's a buzz in Detroit that the Red Wings might bring Blue Jackets C Sergei Fedorov back to Hockeytown.

Fedorov is out with a concussion but might be back next week with just enough time before the Feb. 26 trade deadline.

The Detroit News said speculation is growing that the Red Wings might reacquire Fedorov while the Detroit Free Press said Tomas Kopecky's name has been mentioned as going to Columbus in such a deal.

"Sergei could help any team out there, and in the case of the Wings, he would know the system and what was expected of him," Versus analyst Brian Engblom told The Detroit News. "Now, you're probably not going to get the offensive player from a number of years ago. But nobody in the league thinks the game like this guy does."

Fedorov has about $2M left on his contract and he will be an unrestricted free agent after this season.