• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
redwings56

Thoughts on Howard

Rate this topic

I think the progress he's made over the last couple of seasons has been fantastic. I recall watching a few games of his while he played for Maine and he was a wall... There was some adjustment in the AHL (hence the slow start when the Griffins had an average club) based on the speed alone.

Thinking of previous appearances with the Wings prior to this season he seemed to fight the puck a bit and wasn't as quick laterally. He woudn't challenge as aggressively, etc. I look at him now and see a different goaltender -- well, almost: He's a quicker version of what I saw play in Maine, when his confidence is there and the fundamentals follow that up.

Over the course of this season I think he's really asserted himself because he knew this was a big season for him (in which he had to prove his worth). He's taken the bull by the horns in his time with the club this season and really put in a great effort in Dallas against the 2nd-seeded team in the West.

Not too shabby.

Throwing a guy into the #1 role is a big risk. You can either hit the jackpot (Cam Ward) or it can backfire beyond all belief (Dan Blackburn). Personally, I would like to see Howard as the #2 guy for a full year before he takes the #1 tag.

Throwing a guy into the #1 role is a big risk. You can either hit the jackpot (Cam Ward) or it can backfire beyond all belief (Dan Blackburn). Personally, I would like to see Howard as the #2 guy for a full year before he takes the #1 tag.

The Red Wings have no intention of rushing him... At this point I would expect a 50/30 split between Osgood and Howard next season as things stand now.

Howard was great this game. What I think will be a big test for him is if they start him tomorrow. That would be the real test for him but I don't think that will happen. If Hasek retires next year, it will be Osgood with Howard Backing up. I would do that for a year then have Howard start depending on that year. Just my thought tho.

Guest LivingtheDream

There is really just one question that needs to be answered here. Can Howard be a "top notch" goalie? :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Blackburn hurt his shoulder in the gym. He then played for the Victoria s kings in the ECHL. He had to play without a blocker, it was custom made because he couldn't do the motion on his blocker hand

Guest Canadian Wings

I was impressed with Howard today. As a matter of fact, i'd start him over Osgood until Hasek comes back.

The Red Wings have no intention of rushing him... At this point I would expect a 50/30 split between Osgood and Howard next season as things stand now.

Does this mean that we will play 20% of our games with no goalie?

What's to stop Chris Chelios from playing goalie in 20% of the games?

Yep! 0 shots faced, 0 saved! 1.000 save percentage! :P

For a young, inexperienced goalie, Howard played a very good game, and um............he faced more than 0 shots I believe, but thats ok, we'll teach you how to count later. BTW that's your course after Hockey Analysis 101, which, from what I hear you are failing. <_<

Can Ward is hardly the jackpot.

For a young, inexperienced goalie, Howard played a very good game, and um............he faced more than 0 shots I believe, but thats ok, we'll teach you how to count later. BTW that's your course after Hockey Analysis 101, which, from what I hear you are failing. <_<

Dude, it was a joke. He played in the afternoon, not at night like the poster I was quoted was saying. Maybe I should put 10 more joke emoticons on here to make it more clear for you?

Relax.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Does this mean that we will play 20% of our games with no goalie?

What's to stop Chris Chelios from playing goalie in 20% of the games?

I think he meant 50 games 30 games, but then again you could have been sarcastic, OR

you could have noticed that the most famous LGW quote had not been used yet and need a :ph34r: way to sneak it in!

Howard was the best thing about that game. He never really seemed flustered and he was very quick. He didn't seem intimidated by the game at all. It was a reassuring sight.

Regular Season Stats (for Howard obviously)

Season GPI Min W L OT GA SA SO GAA Sv%

2007-2008 3 137 0 1 0 3 60 0 1.31 .950

Three goals on sixty shots? Come on, that's gotta count for something.

That is how he was at Maine. I remember seeing a tournament game where he gave up one goal from about 55 shots.

That is how he was at Maine. I remember seeing a tournament game where he gave up one goal from about 55 shots.

Yeah and then the next night in the frozen final he stopped something like 45 and gave up one goal in a loss!!!

He feeds off of more shots, which lately has me wondering if this system is the best for him, but I still want him in the winged wheel!!

The one game that sticks out to me that I watched was Howard's game in the 2004 Hockey East Championship (INHD -- when it existed -- had it in glorious HD) against UMass.

He stopped 64 shots in a 2-1 Maine victory.

(edit) Found it: http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7Archiv...afinal_0229.htm

Edited by Matt

I liked what I saw and I hope he's playing back up next year and getting a solid number of games in. If he keeps improving like he has been I won't be worried about the future of the Red Wings at goalie.