Photo
- - - - -

Meech

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 redwing_sparty

redwing_sparty

MICHIGAN STATE 08-09 BIG TEN BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS!!!

• PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:07 PM

as bummed as i was that lids got knocked out of the game, i really enjoyed watching meech play more. I was impressed with his work on the powerplay, especially his slapshot from the point. obviously i hope lids is fine and is back asap; that said, i think meech has some real potential.

#2 Zion

Zion

Hall-of-Famer

• Bronze Booster
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:10 PM

Kid is coming around. He'll be good trade bait, maybe next year. He's still too small, but perhaps another team can trade for a puck-moving defenseman.
Hockeytown - No Limits

#3 ProfessorLidstrom5

ProfessorLidstrom5

Nick's in eleventh heaven!!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:15 PM

Yeah, I have really been warming up to Meech lately. I like his work ethic.

"He's smart, I tell ya. He's the same everyday. That's what puts him in a league separate from everyone else." - Mike Babcock on Nicklas Lidstrom

Sig created by TeeMan

#4 Zion

Zion

Hall-of-Famer

• Bronze Booster
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:18 PM

Looks like a mini-Lebda.

And Lebs is small enough.
Hockeytown - No Limits

#5 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:18 PM

I dont get to watch very many wings games live where i live.... but how is Kyle Quincey compared to Derek Meech? Do you guys here see any of the two (Meech and Quincey) as being serious contributors to our blueline in the future?

#6 redwing_sparty

redwing_sparty

MICHIGAN STATE 08-09 BIG TEN BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS!!!

• PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:23 PM

i haven't seen meech enough to really have made up my mind on meech. like i said, i liked what i saw from him tonight.
quincy was pretty solid in the playoffs last year. but he was way out of position on that goal dallas scored on sunday so that pissed me off.

#7 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:29 PM

Yea i remember that goal. although Lilja didnt look much better trying to "save" the shot

#8 revnic

revnic

Rookie

• Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:32 PM

meech can shoot the puck 500 times better than samuelson can from what i saw today. why the f*** does sammy stay on the point? oh yea, because hes a right hand shot.....makes so muchf****** sence.

#9 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,077 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:34 PM

I was surprised with how well he played. He's been average in every other game, but tonight he played fantastic. Plus 2 and had an assit, very good.

#NOMOREKINDL

#10 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:56 PM

Meech actually led the Wings in ice time tonight, and was only 25 seconds away from leading both teams in ice time

Edited by Echolalia, 18 February 2008 - 11:57 PM.

#11 Grittzkey

Grittzkey

L L L L SAD FACE

• HoF Booster
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:49 AM

Meech has a nice heavy shot.. Something that Lebda lacks severely.

I like meech as our reserve d-man, hopefully when everyone is healthy he can peak his head in, taking time off of Mr.Turnover and Mr.Iskatefastbutdontnomuchelse.
Lebda - Your Off The Team... My most used quote during the games.

#12 jim3033

jim3033

Hossa knows kung-fu!

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:16 AM

Meech played a really good game. I hope he can master the little things in the game that Lidstrom has. Go go Red Wing's scouting!!!

#13 cirov19

cirov19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:31 AM

Yeah, it was interesting watching Meech play today. The future is looking bright, ahah. I have to say I have liked him all along. Both Meech and Quincey.

#14 Canadian Wings

Canadian Wings

bullocks

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:57 AM

Quincey layed the body nice a couple times tonight.

#15 skacore

skacore

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:17 AM

yeah both Meech and Quincey looked good, Quincey better though IMO!

more of what we need

#16 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE (Zion @ February 19, 2008 - 04:10AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kid is coming around. He'll be good trade bait, maybe next year. He's still too small, but perhaps another team can trade for a puck-moving defenseman.

QUOTE (Zion @ February 19, 2008 - 04:18AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks like a mini-Lebda.

And Lebs is small enough.

Umm so what were your thoughts on Darius Kasparitas when he entered the league, or rather when you saw him play because he is listed at the same height as Meech, yes he out weighs Meech but give the get a few years and a dozen or so Donuts.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#17 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE (Grittzkey @ February 18, 2008 - 11:49PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like meech as our reserve d-man, hopefully when everyone is healthy he can peak his head in, taking time off of Mr.Turnover and Mr.Iskatefastbutdontnomuchelse.

Chelios?

tongue.gif
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#18 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE (Grittzkey @ February 19, 2008 - 05:49AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would have to assume you meant Lilja and Lebda, which makes me think you are just ragging on people because last night with the absence of Lids, Ralf, and Kronwall this team was without its numbers 1, 2, 3 d-men. That is slightly important so I will repeat, they were with out d-men number ONE, TWO, and THREE. Included in that is a one of a kind d-man the likes that have not been seen in decades, one is a perennial all star, and the other is the number 3 (sorry Kronner that was all I could come up with). The d helped Ozzie to a shut out. Did they make mistakes yes, there is only one Nick Lidstrom and even he has been mistake prone lately.
But Ozzie saved there asses a couple of times and they helped out. That D is depleted, Meech Played more minutes than he has all year combined (exaggeration) and the team had a shutout, yet you are going to complain that the D sucks.

blink.gif
Edit: You didn't say they suck, I inferred that you meant that from their nicknames.
I am befuddled by the expectations of some fans!

In case you missed it Lilja and Lebda are the number 5-6 d-men when this team is healthy. For them to log big minutes, is like Kopecky trying to fill in for Filpula bad situation for the team, but if the team gets the W, let alone the shut out then the player(s) in bigger roles, A) did their job, B) are not horrible players, they are actually good enough to be in the NHL.

Leave the roster configuration and moves to Babs and Holland thank you very much!

Edited by Opie, 19 February 2008 - 09:04 AM.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#19 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:30 AM

Well it's good to see the kids getting comfortable with bigger roles. It's good that this happens now and not suddenly during the playoffs. But a trade for a depth veteran defenseman is still, in my opinion at least, necessary.

#20 Grittzkey

Grittzkey

L L L L SAD FACE

• HoF Booster
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (Opie @ February 19, 2008 - 09:02AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In Response To Your Post

By no means did i mean what i said based on 1 game. Im saying it over the period of the year.

Believe me, i understand that things are alot harder when your missing your top 3 dmen, and not just any top 3.. probaly 3 of the best tbh.

It was a general statement, saying Lilja is a turnover machine and Lebda has spectacular skating ability, But he does nothing else good at all..

Lebda - Your Off The Team... My most used quote during the games.