• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
The Enforcer

Fair Justice

Rate this topic

I was soo gutted. i watched the beginning of full length highlights (I live in UK) but i missed the fight because of my other half..... but i still love her! Does anyone know where i can see it? Cos i was sooo happy when i heard about it i make my gf jump when i cheered. Good to see Downey finally getting involved more and showing passion for his team and players! keep it up!

Edit - WOAH my bad... just watched it on ESPN.com.... damn i wanted babcock to SLAP the Av coach!

Edited by Wing Across The Pond

Man oh man. Watching the Downey/Laperierre fight over and over just reminds me of how VERY similar it was with D-mac vs. Turtle. It's almost choreographed the exact same. Amazing.

Man... now you mention it... it is basically the SAME fight! It's what we needed as well.

I thought so but I haven't seen a clean replay where you could see if it was one of those guys with a huge tape roll at the end or a guy that has no knob (on his stick) and his hands were beyond the butt end.

Thanks for clearing that up, now isn't that a penalty?

Should of been called, who know's where the refs were looking

Man... now you mention it... it is basically the SAME fight! It's what we needed as well.

The ending was the same, but Mac started his fight with a sucker punch. Downey would never sucker punch anyone.

By the way, that was a smart move by Joel Queerville last night not dressing Scott Parker. You better believe he won't do that again if we play them in the playoffs. Real genius you are Joel. If the divelanche want to beat the Wings, why the hell did they hire our ***** Queerville to be their coach?

Honestly it looked like he had a hard time getting one of his gloves off, the right one which is his dominant hand looked like it hung up for a second.

Maybe his right hand is his dominant hand (hell, I don't know), but check out the punishment being delivered in zata40's avatar. He's using his left.

Well done this season, fellow fans of hockey and hated rivals. You're kicking our asses along with the rest of the league.

Here's to a very speedy recovery for Lidstrom.

By the way, that was a smart move by Joel Queerville last night not dressing Scott Parker. You better believe he won't do that again if we play them in the playoffs. Real genius you are Joel. If the divelanche want to beat the Wings, why the hell did they hire our ***** Queerville to be their coach?

no chance Parker sees the playoffs

Maybe his right hand is his dominant hand (hell, I don't know), but check out the punishment being delivered in zata40's avatar. He's using his left.

Well done this season, fellow fans of hockey and hated rivals. You're kicking our asses along with the rest of the league.

Here's to a very speedy recovery for Lidstrom.

He can go either way.

I thought so but I haven't seen a clean replay where you could see if it was one of those guys with a huge tape roll at the end or a guy that has no knob (on his stick) and his hands were beyond the butt end.

Thanks for clearing that up, now isn't that a penalty?

Yup between that head shot and a couple of punches being thrown into the wings bench suspensions might be coming...

oh wait Philly wasn't involved, nevermind :P

The only reason anyone questioned Downey was because he had not been doing what he did last night. Had he been performing his role, no one would have questioned him in the first place. What should we do, just bow down to Downey no matter what he is doing out there? I don't think so. He should be critiqued just like every other player if he is not playing the way he should be, and he had not been. Yesterday he did. Good for him, good for the team, but it doesn't change why people were saying the things they were saying before yesterday. Also, are you related to him or something? You seem awfully defensive of him.

What do you mean he had not been performing his job? What instances are we referring to? I gotta ask you back this one up with examples.

I hope that Downey is a Red Wing for the rest of his career. I love the fact that he will take on anyone to defend his teammates. He lets the other teams know that they cannot mess with our guys and get away with it. We need a few more Downeys on this team.

Guest LivingtheDream
I assume you are talking to me, internet tough guy!!

Internet Tough Guy - love it! Be careful, or he may challenge you to "fight it out" in some web based video game. Then again, if you pick suggest online Chess I am sure he will quiet down real quick.

except Brad May

Well first of all he has changed since his first NHL season and second of all what I really meant is that he plays with honor in the winged wheel. Just like when we had Bertuzzi here, and just like Drake this season, there is a certain amount of respect that players have for us when they come here b/c they know that we don't play dirty.

I'm on the Downey train. He is good for this team in my eyes. We need someone who can play physical hockey and drop the gloves for us. I would love to see what he could do if he got some more ice time. I know he does not have the best skills or maybe not even average skills for an NHL player. But he fills a huge hole that the Wings have had for several years now.

On top of it, i would rather see him out there over Drake.

yes! he won my heart!!

being a football ( soccer) fan also, i like the players who take no s*** from no one and stand for the teammates! here in argentina, in boca we had a lot of players that go hard on the others team player, it's a tradition, Gamboa, Chicho Serna, Bermudez, Ibarra, hell of a players with a lot a lot of balls

the most impresive, is that he went twice to take justice, here we say " LO ATENDIO" that means that he was pick up

I'm glad we started to stand up for ourselves. That's the biggest thing. Downey + Mac + Drake should be good for the second season. I'm not worried about our toughness now.

We need Hossa now.

I think teams would crap their pants seeing Downey/Mac/Drake come out on the ice at a crucial moment.

I have to say that it was beyone nice to see Lappy get what he had coming from Downey. It has been way to long since the Red Wings had a guy who could do what Downey did, to the extent that he did it (embarassing a turtling lappy). It is also nice to see a lot of fans here come around to realize just how important guys like Downey are, I remember during the summer having some INTENSE (to put it nicely) battles with some forum members about the necessities of an enforcer, and I am happy that we are finally all on the same page. That is that we dont need a good per say, but a legit tough guy that can go with the likes of a Parros, Fedoruk, or cheap shotting punk like Lappy ( I know the hit was clean I just am a homer like that).

His point is you should shut the f*** up about him being useless. Every team needs one of him for just the sort of thing that happened last night.

While having him (downey) on the team is nice when he is fighting, he really didn't stop anything... Lids is still out with a sprained MCL and Ian is still around to deliever another breath taking hit...

I love fights, they are good on the eyes (at least for me) Having him or anyone else like him on the team will not stop an injury from happening they will only be an after the fact "punishment"

I am glad he did it, but Downey won't stop people from hurting our guys normally they already would do that anyways.

But i love fights so yay!

...(Lucic to name one)...

I would love to see Lucic behind the wheel, but I would get rid of Drake to open a spot for him before Downey.

The only reason anyone questioned Downey was because he had not been doing what he did last night. Had he been performing his role, no one would have questioned him in the first place. What should we do, just bow down to Downey no matter what he is doing out there? I don't think so. He should be critiqued just like every other player if he is not playing the way he should be, and he had not been. Yesterday he did. Good for him, good for the team, but it doesn't change why people were saying the things they were saying before yesterday. Also, are you related to him or something? You seem awfully defensive of him.

I am curious, what exactly is he supposed to do? Just go out and pound guys every night? There has to be a reason. Taking a penalty for instigating in a situation like this is a well justified penalty. But taking a pointless instigating penalty, every game, just so people stop saying he's not doing his job would just be reckless. Besides that, then everybody would be complaining that he's taking bad penalties and should be off the team because he's a detriment. He's sort of in a "damned if he do and damned if he don't" kind of situation.

He's doing exactly what he needs to do, WHEN he needs to do it. No more, no less.

When he is getting minutes, and one of our guys gets run at, he is out there to take care of business. That's what we need him for. We didn't hire him to be a bully and just run at guys whenever he's on the ice.

I'm still not a Downey fan. I'd still rather have a guy that can fight, and fight well, along with being able to get 20 points during a season or even 15 points instead of fighting and maybe getting 5 points during the season...

I think that's being a little unfair to him, considering he doesn't exactly get the lions share of ice time. Besides, I don't think he was hired to score, he was hired to get under guys skin and pound some bozos. If he was a first or second line forward, then I would agree with you whole heartedly, but that's just not the case.

Edited by Lidsyukerberg