• Please log in to reply
1206 replies to this topic

#1 YoungGuns1340

YoungGuns1340

Johan and Henrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:25 PM

EDMONTON JOURNAL: Jim Matheson reports the asking price for Atlanta's Marian Hossa and Toronto's Mats Sundin will be steep. Of the teams believed interested in Hossa (Montreal, Detroit, San Jose and Ottawa), Matheson suggests the asking price might involve Chris Higgins, Valterri Filppula, Jonathan Cheechoo and Mike Fisher. Thrashers GM Don Waddell also said he'd give an interested team 48 hours to sign Hossa to a contract extension, but Matheson writes it's unlikely Hossa will sign with anyone until July, when he's a UFA. As for Sundin, if he waives his clause it's believed the Anaheim Ducks have the inside track. Matheson notes the Ducks won't part with the first round pick they got from the Oilers for a playoff rental but suggests they might bite if the Leafs sweetened the pot by offering up another player like Alex Steen.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: I suspect the willingness of those two to sign contract extensions to facilitate a trade could be the deal breaker, as the word is a lot of GMs don't want to overpay for a playoff rental this season, or perhaps another significant player added with either Sundin or Hossa. A contract extension as part of the deal is the best insurance. For now, it remains to be seen if either guy will move.

Spectors

I'm not gonna lie. Of those four players mentioned, Flip is the least integral to his team. Detroit's already got two all star centers locked up for their top lines, and theyve got no top line wingers on the squad or coming up in the system either. If Kenny thinks he can fit Hossas demands under the cap and re-sign Hank, I see no reason why not to do this. If we re-sign Hossa, it'll be long-term.

Edited by YoungGuns1340, 19 February 2008 - 05:27 PM.

It is not your aptitude, but your attitude, that determines your altitude.

#2 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,194 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:29 PM

The thought of Sundin on the Ducks and Hossa on the Sharks scares me. If those two deals come to fruition and the Wings more or less stand pat, they might as well start booking tee times.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#3 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:33 PM

I wonder which of Valterri Filppula and Jonathan Cheechoo Atlanta would prefer?? I am guessing Cheechoo.

As for Mats going to the Ducks! Holy hell that would be scary. Although, I would guess he'd rather go to the Wings for the oblivious reasons (travel, Swedes).

Posted Image

#4 RedFX

RedFX

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:35 PM

I would give up Flip in a heartbeat if it meant landing Hossa. Last I heard, Boston was also making a big push for Hossa.
-15-
Posted Image
"I don't like to be the pony. I like to be on top." -Pavel Datsyuk

#5 YoungGuns1340

YoungGuns1340

Johan and Henrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (Dabura @ February 19, 2008 - 05:29PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thought of Sundin on the Ducks and Hossa on the Sharks scares me. If those two deals come to fruition and the Wings more or less stand pat, they might as well start booking tee times.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, particularly with the Sundin deal. That pretty much makes Anaheim the only team in the league without any weaknesses. I think if Anaheim lands Sundin first, we need to either land Hossa or only make minor trades that cost us next to nothing, as I cant see Detroit getting past Anaheim if they dont add another big name. Particularly with their PP as it stands because, IMO, no matter when we play Anaheim or who they have, with the amount of penalties they take, we're gonna have to beat them by using our PP advantages.

#6 Heaton

Heaton

Oh noez

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,311 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:38 PM

If we trade for Hossa, he'll be re-signed as soon as the deal goes through. If that's the case, Holland knows who is staying and who is leaving.
Moral victories are for losers.

#7 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,194 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE (rage @ February 19, 2008 - 05:33PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for Mats going to the Ducks! Holy hell that would be scary. Although, I would guess he'd rather go to the Wings for the oblivious reasons (travel, Swedes).

Burke knows the art of seduction/rolling out the red carpet.

Holland does not.

Therein lies the Ducks' advantage, methinks.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#8 HudlerRULES

HudlerRULES

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:41 PM

I wont trade Filpula. Trade Samuelson and Kopecky but not Filpula. Heck you can even trade Hudler, just not Filpula.

#9 YoungGuns1340

YoungGuns1340

Johan and Henrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:43 PM

I wonder which of Valterri Filppula and Jonathan Cheechoo Atlanta would prefer?? I am guessing Cheechoo.

Yeah but who would you rather keep on your team? Flip or Cheechoo? Cheechoo still has a good scoring touch and hes signed for 3M for another 3 years. That contract is still a steal, and will continue to be if he finds his scoring touch again. And it looks like hes starting to come again as of late. Thats why I dont see San Jose trading Cheechoo unless its a sign and trade. San Jose has some pretty big scoring woes this year, and they need BOTH Cheechoo and Hossa if they want to make the big push.

Rumor has it San Jose is offering Steve Bernier, and IMO, Flips skill trumps Berniers game as I think Atlanta would be more interested in skill than brawn for their top 6. I can see Flip meshing a lot better with Kovy or Kozlov than Bernier would.

#10 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:44 PM

if the Ducks land sundin the Wings need to go out and get Hossa or else there's no way we'd be able to get past them in the playoffs.

#11 YoungGuns1340

YoungGuns1340

Johan and Henrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (Dabura @ February 19, 2008 - 05:39PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Burke knows the art of seduction/rolling out the red carpet.

Holland does not.

Therein lies the Ducks' advantage, methinks.

Holland definitely knows how to roll out the red carpet. He just doesn't do it for the media. There's a reason why new players always rave about their treatment by the Red Wings organization.

The Ducks have the inside track on getting Sundin because they have the kind of assets that the Wings dont. Particulary a really high first rounder.

#12 dallas27

dallas27

It worked with Hossa, now it's Ilya's turn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:46 PM

It doesn't matter if Sundin goes to Anaheim or not, the Wings just need Hossa period. Hell, any team needs Hossa period.

It's a Festivus miracle!!!

"For the next 20 minutes, you will sit in silence while I tell you why the Detroit Red Wings are the greatest franchise in the history of professional sports." -Dr. Perry Cox

#13 mark the red

mark the red

Rookie

• Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:47 PM

Good point. Plus his family is in Toronto and I bet he wouldn;t want to move them to Cali, for half a season.

#14 Canadian Wings

Canadian Wings

bullocks

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE (HudlerRULES @ February 19, 2008 - 05:41PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wont trade Filpula. Trade Samuelson and Kopecky but not Filpula. Heck you can even trade Hudler, just not Filpula.

You won't be getting Hossa then.

#15 Canadian Wings

Canadian Wings

bullocks

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (mark the red @ February 19, 2008 - 05:47PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good point. Plus his family is in Toronto and I bet he wouldn;t want to move them to Cali, for half a season.

Sundin doesn't have a wife or kids.

#16 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,194 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:50 PM

Flip's not doing jack for this team right now. I'd be hesitant to part with him because of his career potential, but let's be realistic: if the Ducks are making a push for Sundin and the Sharks are in a good position to land Hossa (Marleau, anyone?), we need to shape the f*** up or we're toast. I'm generally not one to make statements like this, but it's the truth. As much as I hate the Ducks, adding Sundin would make them damn near unstoppable. There's simply no denying this. As for the Sharks, remember when they had us hanging on for dear life this past postseason, only to let us back in the series in our eleventh hour because they had problems "sealing the deal"? Well, imagine them with one of the best deal-sealers in the league.

Get the door, Kenny. Reality's knocking.

Edited by Dabura, 19 February 2008 - 06:03 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#17 Canadian Wings

Canadian Wings

bullocks

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (dallas27 @ February 19, 2008 - 05:46PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It doesn't matter if Sundin goes to Anaheim or not, the Wings just need Hossa period. Hell, any team needs Hossa period.

Sundin > Hossa

Only way you'd prefer Hossa is if he's not a rental.

#18 Canadian Wings

Canadian Wings

bullocks

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE (Dabura @ February 19, 2008 - 05:50PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Flip's not doing jack for this team right now. I'd be hesitant to part with him because of his career potential, but let's be realistic: if the Ducks are making a push for Sundin and the Sharks are in a good position to land Hossa (Marleau, anyone?), we need to shape the f*** up or we're toast. I'm generally not one to make statements like this, but it's the truth. As much as I hate the Ducks, adding Sundin would make them damn near unstoppable. There's simply no denying this. As for the Sharks, remember when they had us hanging on for dear life this past postseason, only to let us back in the series in our eleventh hour because they had problems "sealing the deal"? Well, imagining them with one of the best deal-sealers in the league.

Get the door, Kenny. Reality's knocking.

San Jose getting Hossa doesn't scare me at all.

#19 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,194 posts

QUOTE (YoungGuns1340 @ February 19, 2008 - 05:45PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Holland definitely knows how to roll out the red carpet. He just doesn't do it for the media. There's a reason why new players always rave about their treatment by the Red Wings organization.

Point taken, but I'm talking more about "the hunt." Burke has shown he has a killer instinct that, frankly, I don't think Kenny has. It's a kind of complacency, I think.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#20 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,226 posts

How the hell can Anaheim afford anyone?? Didn't they struggle to make room for Selanne to come back?