• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
YoungGuns1340

Hossa Sweepstakes down to four teams?

Rate this topic

EDMONTON JOURNAL: Jim Matheson reports the asking price for Atlanta's Marian Hossa and Toronto's Mats Sundin will be steep. Of the teams believed interested in Hossa (Montreal, Detroit, San Jose and Ottawa), Matheson suggests the asking price might involve Chris Higgins, Valterri Filppula, Jonathan Cheechoo and Mike Fisher. Thrashers GM Don Waddell also said he'd give an interested team 48 hours to sign Hossa to a contract extension, but Matheson writes it's unlikely Hossa will sign with anyone until July, when he's a UFA. As for Sundin, if he waives his clause it's believed the Anaheim Ducks have the inside track. Matheson notes the Ducks won't part with the first round pick they got from the Oilers for a playoff rental but suggests they might bite if the Leafs sweetened the pot by offering up another player like Alex Steen.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: I suspect the willingness of those two to sign contract extensions to facilitate a trade could be the deal breaker, as the word is a lot of GMs don't want to overpay for a playoff rental this season, or perhaps another significant player added with either Sundin or Hossa. A contract extension as part of the deal is the best insurance. For now, it remains to be seen if either guy will move.

Spectors

I'm not gonna lie. Of those four players mentioned, Flip is the least integral to his team. Detroit's already got two all star centers locked up for their top lines, and theyve got no top line wingers on the squad or coming up in the system either. If Kenny thinks he can fit Hossas demands under the cap and re-sign Hank, I see no reason why not to do this. If we re-sign Hossa, it'll be long-term.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

I wonder which of Valterri Filppula and Jonathan Cheechoo Atlanta would prefer?? I am guessing Cheechoo.

As for Mats going to the Ducks! Holy hell that would be scary. Although, I would guess he'd rather go to the Wings for the oblivious reasons (travel, Swedes).

The thought of Sundin on the Ducks and Hossa on the Sharks scares me. If those two deals come to fruition and the Wings more or less stand pat, they might as well start booking tee times.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, particularly with the Sundin deal. That pretty much makes Anaheim the only team in the league without any weaknesses. I think if Anaheim lands Sundin first, we need to either land Hossa or only make minor trades that cost us next to nothing, as I cant see Detroit getting past Anaheim if they dont add another big name. Particularly with their PP as it stands because, IMO, no matter when we play Anaheim or who they have, with the amount of penalties they take, we're gonna have to beat them by using our PP advantages.

As for Mats going to the Ducks! Holy hell that would be scary. Although, I would guess he'd rather go to the Wings for the oblivious reasons (travel, Swedes).

Burke knows the art of seduction/rolling out the red carpet.

Holland does not.

Therein lies the Ducks' advantage, methinks.

I wonder which of Valterri Filppula and Jonathan Cheechoo Atlanta would prefer?? I am guessing Cheechoo.

Yeah but who would you rather keep on your team? Flip or Cheechoo? Cheechoo still has a good scoring touch and hes signed for 3M for another 3 years. That contract is still a steal, and will continue to be if he finds his scoring touch again. And it looks like hes starting to come again as of late. Thats why I dont see San Jose trading Cheechoo unless its a sign and trade. San Jose has some pretty big scoring woes this year, and they need BOTH Cheechoo and Hossa if they want to make the big push.

Rumor has it San Jose is offering Steve Bernier, and IMO, Flips skill trumps Berniers game as I think Atlanta would be more interested in skill than brawn for their top 6. I can see Flip meshing a lot better with Kovy or Kozlov than Bernier would.

Burke knows the art of seduction/rolling out the red carpet.

Holland does not.

Therein lies the Ducks' advantage, methinks.

Holland definitely knows how to roll out the red carpet. He just doesn't do it for the media. There's a reason why new players always rave about their treatment by the Red Wings organization.

The Ducks have the inside track on getting Sundin because they have the kind of assets that the Wings dont. Particulary a really high first rounder.

Good point. Plus his family is in Toronto and I bet he wouldn;t want to move them to Cali, for half a season.

Guest Canadian Wings
I wont trade Filpula. Trade Samuelson and Kopecky but not Filpula. Heck you can even trade Hudler, just not Filpula.

You won't be getting Hossa then.

Guest Canadian Wings
Good point. Plus his family is in Toronto and I bet he wouldn;t want to move them to Cali, for half a season.

Sundin doesn't have a wife or kids.

Flip's not doing jack for this team right now. I'd be hesitant to part with him because of his career potential, but let's be realistic: if the Ducks are making a push for Sundin and the Sharks are in a good position to land Hossa (Marleau, anyone?), we need to shape the f*** up or we're toast. I'm generally not one to make statements like this, but it's the truth. As much as I hate the Ducks, adding Sundin would make them damn near unstoppable. There's simply no denying this. As for the Sharks, remember when they had us hanging on for dear life this past postseason, only to let us back in the series in our eleventh hour because they had problems "sealing the deal"? Well, imagine them with one of the best deal-sealers in the league.

Get the door, Kenny. Reality's knocking.

Edited by Dabura

Guest Canadian Wings
It doesn't matter if Sundin goes to Anaheim or not, the Wings just need Hossa period. Hell, any team needs Hossa period.

Sundin > Hossa

Only way you'd prefer Hossa is if he's not a rental.

Guest Canadian Wings
Flip's not doing jack for this team right now. I'd be hesitant to part with him because of his career potential, but let's be realistic: if the Ducks are making a push for Sundin and the Sharks are in a good position to land Hossa (Marleau, anyone?), we need to shape the f*** up or we're toast. I'm generally not one to make statements like this, but it's the truth. As much as I hate the Ducks, adding Sundin would make them damn near unstoppable. There's simply no denying this. As for the Sharks, remember when they had us hanging on for dear life this past postseason, only to let us back in the series in our eleventh hour because they had problems "sealing the deal"? Well, imagining them with one of the best deal-sealers in the league.

Get the door, Kenny. Reality's knocking.

San Jose getting Hossa doesn't scare me at all.

Holland definitely knows how to roll out the red carpet. He just doesn't do it for the media. There's a reason why new players always rave about their treatment by the Red Wings organization.

Point taken, but I'm talking more about "the hunt." Burke has shown he has a killer instinct that, frankly, I don't think Kenny has. It's a kind of complacency, I think.

Yeah but who would you rather keep on your team? Flip or Cheechoo? Cheechoo still has a good scoring touch and hes signed for 3M for another 3 years. That contract is still a steal, and will continue to be if he finds his scoring touch again. And it looks like hes starting to come again as of late. Thats why I dont see San Jose trading Cheechoo unless its a sign and trade. San Jose has some pretty big scoring woes this year, and they need BOTH Cheechoo and Hossa if they want to make the big push.

Rumor has it San Jose is offering Steve Bernier, and IMO, Flips skill trumps Berniers game as I think Atlanta would be more interested in skill than brawn for their top 6. I can see Flip meshing a lot better with Kovy or Kozlov than Bernier would.

I thought they were talking of trading Cheechoo anyway (at least eariler in the season). Either way, if Flip is traded it will be a sad day.

Sundin > Hossa

It's been said many times that Hossa would be signed long-term as part of the deal.

Hossa is having an off-year and only what, 5 or 6 points behind Sundin. And he's only 29. He may not have the bigger physical presence between the two but Hossa at this point has more talent than Sundin.

Sundin > Hossa

Hossa> Sundin

Hossa's looking for a long-term contract; he wouldn't be a one-year rental. This has been explained ad nauseam here. Hossa is also younger and practically custom-tailored for our needs on offense.

He would give the Sharks the only piece they've lacked these past few seasons: a lights-out goal-scorer who can put a game away when it's hanging in the balance. I would not want to face that team in the postseason.

How the hell can Anaheim afford anyone?? Didn't they struggle to make room for Selanne to come back?

Expected '07-08 Upper Limit Charge 50,193,061

Projected Payroll Room 3,879,439

Expected '08-09 Upper Limit Charge 49,180,000