• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NeverForgetMac25

The 2008 Trade Deadline Thread

Rate this topic

Feel free to post deals in this thread and I'll update them as soon as they are made official. I'll be on LGW as much as humanly possible the next week and make updates as quickly as possible. Hopefully this will keep the deadline deals mostly within this thread instead of everyone creating new threads for each transaction.

Below is a chart of deals made since the new year in order of most recent. I will continue to add to this chart with the newest deals on top.

Enjoy!

Most Recent Update: Wednesday, February 26th @ 3:21 PM Central Time

TradesSince2-25n.jpg

UFASignings.jpg

TradesThru2-24.jpg

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

yeah thanks for ANOTHER trade thread...hahahaha j/k NFM i have to give you a hard time. you never laugh at anything i say so hopefully you do at this one.

where are you getting that chart bro?

I laugh all the time......you just gotta say something that's actually funny. :P

yeah thanks for ANOTHER trade thread...hahahaha j/k NFM i have to give you a hard time. you never laugh at anything i say so hopefully you do at this one.

where are you getting that chart bro?

I made it. It's kind of bootleg, but it gets the job done.

I want this GUY BAD!

*Not my video, however I apologize in advance for the music. I hope this is not what euros listen to in order to pump em up for any type of competition. But if it is, so be it, let the glow sticks reign free as long as he is in a Wings jersey come playoff time*

Edited by sticknmove

I still say the deadline should be the first or second week in March...

I didn't realize how much its fluctuated the past 25+ years. The 97/98 season saw a deadline on March 28th.....that's crazy considering how many people *should* be moved at that point of the season.

** Obviously I didn't included the 94/95 season date (April 5) due to the lockout and the schedule change that season. **

Feel free to post deals in this thread and I'll update them as soon as they are made official. I'll be on LGW as much as humanly possible the next week and make updates as quickly as possible. Hopefully this will keep the deadline deals mostly within this thread instead of everyone creating new threads for each transaction.

Below is a chart of deals made since the new year in order of most recent. I will continue to add to this chart with the newest deals on top.

Enjoy!

Most Recent Update: Wednesday, February 20th @ 5:50 PM Central Time

TradeDeadline2-20c.jpg

What can we afford? Or should I say who? Can we afford Hossa, Federov, Cleary, and Mac. Maybe Stuart? Do we really have he ability to structure up deals for these big names?

What can we afford? Or should I say who? Can we afford Hossa, Federov, Cleary, and Mac. Maybe Stuart? Do we really have he ability to structure up deals for these big names?

Well, I'm pretty sure we can afford Cleary seeing as that he's under contract for the remainder of the season. :P

Fedorov would be a good addition whether Hossa comes or not.

Personally, I'd like to see the Wings go after Hossa (while giving up Filppula, a prospect and a pick), Fedorov for a pick and a prospect and then a big 5-6 depth Dman. I think that would cover this team completely, but it might be a little too much to give away in terms of players/prospects/picks.

Well, I'm pretty sure we can afford Cleary seeing as that he's under contract for the remainder of the season. :P

Fedorov would be a good addition whether Hossa comes or not.

Personally, I'd like to see the Wings go after Hossa (while giving up Filppula, a prospect and a pick), Fedorov for a pick and a prospect and then a big 5-6 depth Dman. I think that would cover this team completely, but it might be a little too much to give away in terms of players/prospects/picks.

So will they not even talk contract with Cleary until season is completly done? I just wish he was signed already, I hate hearing his name brought up as bait.

So will they not even talk contract with Cleary until season is completly done? I just wish he was signed already, I hate hearing his name brought up as bait.

I would think some form of negotiation is already in process, we just haven't heard anything real about it yet.

BTW, he won't be moved before the deadline. He'll be on the Wings for atleast the remainder of the season and IMO will sign for 3-4 years with Detroit. He was on his last chance when Holland brought him in. He flourished and will want to stay in the only place thats happened. Also, he'll probably take a hometown discount to make it happen.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Is it just me or has this been an unusually quiet deadline? Not just the number of transactions, but also just the hype surrounding it? Only 5 more days...

*Not my video, however I apologize in advance for the music. I hope this is not what euros listen to in order to pump em up for any type of competition. But if it is, so be it, let the glow sticks reign free as long as he is in a Wings jersey come playoff time*

Electronic music is HUGE in the rest of the world. In some countries the artists frequently chart higher than pop/rock/hip-hop acts.

I would think some form of negotiation is already in process, we just haven't heard anything real about it yet.

BTW, he won't be moved before the deadline. He'll be on the Wings for atleast the remainder of the season and IMO will sign for 3-4 years with Detroit. He was on his last chance when Holland brought him in. He flourished and will want to stay in the only place thats happened. Also, he'll probably take a hometown discount to make it happen.

Cleary already said he'd take a hometown discount. I don't think there's a danger of losing him anymore, especially after we realized how important he was during The Streak.

Cleary already said he'd take a hometown discount. I don't think there's a danger of losing him anymore, especially after we realized how important he was during The Streak.

I agree that Cleary will take a hometown discount, but do you actually have a link confirming that comment coming out of Cleary's mouth? I can't imagine he'd come out and say something like that with negotiations in the works or about to begin.

Is it just me or has this been an unusually quiet deadline? Not just the number of transactions, but also just the hype surrounding it? Only 5 more days...

Electronic music is HUGE in the rest of the world. In some countries the artists frequently chart higher than pop/rock/hip-hop acts.

I don't think so. If this year is anything like last year, the majority of the deals didn't happen until the weekend before the deadline. Give it two days and things will start to happen quickly.

I agree that Cleary will take a hometown discount, but do you actually have a link confirming that comment coming out of Cleary's mouth? I can't imagine he'd come out and say something like that with negotiations in the works or about to begin.

you know what, I have also heard something about him taking less money from something I read, I can't remember where though, dammit! I am figuring it was probably someones opinion and not his words.

Just gonna post some updates from according to ESPN Insider, since i know many cannot view this.

Sharks shopping their captain

Patrick Marleau | Sharks | Interested: Panthers? Thrashers? Canadiens? Maple Leafs? Flames?

The Sharks and Thrashers have discussed a blockbuster trade that would send C Patrick Marleau and D Matt Carle to Atlanta for F Marian Hossa and C Bobby Holik, according to The New York Post.

The Post previously reported the Sharks were working on a multi-player trade that revolved around sending Marleau to the Panthers for C Olli Jokinen.

Marleau's and Jokkinen's names have been tossed around the rumor mill all season with the Flames, among others, being listed as suitors for both.

Marleau signed a two-year contract extension over the summer and Sharks GM Doug Wilson had said he won't trade Marleau.

________________________________________________________________________________

Last-ditch effort

Marian Hossa | Thrashers | Interested: Ducks? Bruins? Stars? Canadiens? Sharks? Flyers? Canucks? Rangers? Red Wings? Senators?

Sources tell the Ottawa Sun that Thrashers GM Don Waddell will make one more run at re-signing F Marian Hossa but will definitely trade him if he can't sign him.

"The [Hossa trade] talks have started, but I can tell you nobody is stepping to the plate and saying 'I've got to have this guy right now,' " Waddell told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "Right now, there's nothing on the table that I'm considering."

Sharks GM Doug Wilson apparently upped the ante by offering C Patrick Marleau as part of a trade for Hossa, according to the Toronto Sun.

That would seem to match the requirement stated by Waddell, who has said he wants immediate help if he trades Hossa.

"You make lots of tough decisions," Waddell told the Toronto Sun. "I still remain with three options: The first one is closing in on us with the deadline and that is signing him. The second is trading him and the third is keeping him to try to win the Southeast Division, which is very important to us. We're two points out of a playoff spot. That's big for us."

"We're talking about Marian Hossa and some teams feel like they can make a deal that will put them over the edge.

"We won't make a deal for a first-round pick or a second-pick, that doesn't make any sense for us. We have to make a deal that will allow us to put pieces in our lineup right away."

Hossa told The Journal-Constitution last week the chances of him re-signing before the trade deadline are "very slim."

And that increases the likelihood that Hossa, due to be an unrestricted free agent this summer, will be moved before Feb. 26.

Waddell has received calls from at least 10 teams, including the Stars, Canadiens, Bruins, Senators, Rangers, Ducks, Red Wings and Sharks, according to the Sun.

________________________________________________________________________________

Boyle's value increasing

Dan Boyle | Lightning | Interested: Penguins? Rangers? Sharks? Devils? Flyers? Coyotes? Blackhawks? Senators?

Spurned in their efforts to land Maple Leafs D Tomas Kaberle, the Flyers are closely watching negotiations between the Lightning and D Dan Boyle, according to the Philadelphia Daily News.

An offer for Kaberle fizzled because he refused to waive his no-trade clause, so now the Flyers are hoping they can come up with the right package for Boyle, who can become an unrestricted free agent after this season.

"We'd talk about a player like that," Flyers GM Paul Holmgren told the Daily News. "He'd help a lot of teams and we would certainly inquire as to what it would take to get him. But if it got too crazy we wouldn't want to mortgage too much of our future for him."

Little, if any, progress has been made in contract talks in the past week so it's increasingly likely that the Lightning will trade Boyle, The New York Post reported.

The Post said the Rangers would be first in line to acquire Boyle, who it said would prefer New York as a destination and could steer a trade in that direction with his no-trade clause.

Lightning GM Jay Feaster is trying to fit a healthy raise for Boyle into a team that already has more than $19M going to Fs Vincent Lecavalier, Brad Richards and Martin St. Louis.

Boyle, 31, is in the final year of a three-year, $10M contract, so plenty of teams are hoping to pick up the puck-moving defenseman before the trade deadline.

"Philosophically, I have always been opposed to negotiating with a player during the season," Feaster told the Tampa Tribune. "However, I have come to the conclusion that you have to do it in some cases under this new CBA, and this is one of those times."

Tanguay talk revived

Alex Tanguay | Flames | Interested: Panthers? Canadiens?

Flames LW Alex Tanguay's name has come up in rumors again as the trade deadline nears, according to the Ottawa Sun.

The paper said there's talk he could be sent to the Canadiens for F Michael Ryder, and it's believed the Panthers have also talked to the Flames about Tanguay.

Tanguay would have to waive his no-trade clause, however, and earlier this season he denied agreeing to waive it when a rumored deal witn Montreal was hot.

All they need is two Ruutus

Tuomo Ruutu | Blackhawks | Interested: Penguins?

The Blackhawks have discussed trading C Tuomo Ruutu to the Penguins, according to the Ottawa Sun.

A push for Nagy

Ladislav Nagy | Kings | Interested: Panthers?

The Ottawa Sun reports there is talk the Panthers might try to land Kings LW Ladislav Nagy before the trade deadline.

Nagy can be an unrestricted free agent after this season.

The Panthers were five points out of first place in the Southeast Division after Wednesday night's games.

Gateway to a Malik deal

Marek Malik | Rangers | Interested: Blues?

The Rangers might be close to dealing D Marek Malik, according to The New York Post.

The paper reported the Rangers are interested in reacquiring F Martin Rucinsky from the Blues in a deal for Malik but New York would also need to get a defenseman in return.

Malik, who can be an unrestricted free agent, has been in and out of the doghouse all season and has been a constant subject of trade rumors.

Previously The Post said the Rangers couldn't deal him because they were asking for too much.

The paper said Rangers GM Glen Sather has been asking for the equivalent of a top-four defenseman in return for Malik, who will make $2.5M this season.

I think whats interesting here is that the Panthers have begun to appear on a couple deal rumors, suggesting they plan on trying to push into the playoffs. Also the Habs are all over the place