• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jim3033

Can Detroit Win The Cup?

Rate this topic

With the trade deadline coming up, it is still uncertain. Anaheim has 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks to use. They will pick someone up at the deadline. Will Detroit be able to counter?

When the playoffs hit, will Detroit have the determination and size to make it out of the west? Will they be able to come back from a tough overtime loss or withstand a bad call? Will Detroit be able to out-wit their opponent? I feel the Wings do not have that 'craziness' necessary to defeat an Anaheim decisively.

IMO the Wings might not pull out of the west. It is possible that Dats and Z will be neutralized. Also, secondary scoring from players like Hudler and Flip will be predictable could be easily neutralized. Injuries are inevitable especially with how big western teams are. While it's possible Detroit can win it with a few flukey goals, I think the odds are against those kind of goals in the playoffs.

What ingredients do the Wings need to win?

ESPN article on Detroit

***EDIT: Can should be will! :blush: "Will Detroit win the cup," sounded too definite at this point. Obviously can isn't definite enough!

Edited by jim3033

After the Ducks won it last year, I said that they would repeat. I think I will stick with that prediction. If the Wings pull off a big trade with the likes of Hossa coming in, then I may have to retract my previous statements. Until then I say no.

Just my gut feeling.

Edit:

Ducks are my pick to win it all next year.

Ducks are not going to win it again next year. I'll bet anything.
Edited by RedStormRising

I dont' think the f***ers should even show up.

Hope this isn't a bad thread. I'm just wondering what you think it will take out of our current players to win it. Maybe this will convince us the team is good enough as is or we need to go out and make a big trade for insurance against injury.

I would say yes. I think they'll get to the finals, but more importantly they'll be playing teams in the Western conference that will fold (Dallas, Sharks or Ducks). MAYBE... maybe Calgary would be a threat, if only becasue they are so physical. Aside from Dallas, the WIngs are the only consistent team on that list. I think they'll get out of the West without injury, barring some freak accident. I think the Eastern team will be beat up, and there you go. Who knows though.

The President's Trophy curse is a myth.... I think it will be a sweet run. Can't think about it yet though....

With the trade deadline coming up it is still uncertain. Anaheim has 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks to use and will pick someone up at the deadline. Will Detroit be able to counter?

Wilson (the volleyball/Sharks coach) was showing some stats about teams that made trades at the deadline not being that successful generally, as opposed to trades happening in January, where teams have time to get used to the new guys and really utilize them.

Edited by Defenseman13

I was so F-in pissed last night listening to Hockey Night In Canada radio program on Sirius radio. The host (name is escaping me?) and Craig Simpson both predicted that the Wings are almost a lock for a first round playoff exit. They went on about it for over three minutes. Said the Wings puck possesion style isn't effective in a best of seven series. Said they are small, and not strong on the puck. Not enough offense and if they have any hope of getting through the first round, they'll "HAVE TO" pick up a major second line scorer like a Mats or Hossa.....if not...they're easy pickings.

And of course they went on about how the Wings standard MO is to have a great regular season and "never" show up in the playoffs....and get this.."it's almost as if Detroit plays hockey for the Presidents trophy and nothing else."

I almost drove right of the road I was so disturbed by this commentary. I'm mean....AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE?? Have we not won three cups in the past decade. Yes, we've stumbled in past years getting through the playoff's....IT'S THE FREAKIN NHL, EVERY TEAM HAS A STABLE OF WORLD CLASS PLAYERS WHO ARE PLAYING AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL!!!! YOU'RE NOT GOING TO WIN EVERY YEAR!!! And didn't we come basically a bad puck bounce away from winning the Western conference last year, and lost to the eventual Stanley Cup champions??

I'm convinced that the national hockey press LOVES to bash and propogate against the Wings and it pisses me off cause it usually is just general statements that if looked at closely, aren't really accurate.

GO WINGS MOTHER-F--KERS!!!! LET'S BRING THIS MOTHER-F--KING CUP BACK HOME TO DETROIT THIS YEAR. I'M SICK AND TIRED OF THIS s***. I'M SICK AND TIRED OF NOT BEING IN THE CUP F-ING FINALS. WE CANNOT TOLERATE THIS F--KING BULLs***...WE ARE THE GODDAM DETROIT REDWINGS AND ENOUGH IS ENOUGH...WE CAN OWN ANY TEAM FOR 10 GAMES IF OUR TEAM GETS AFTER IT. I WANT THE BLOOD OF EVERY s*** BAG TEAM WHO STANDS IN THE WINGS WAY TO CUP THIS YEAR.

ok..i'm done. have a good day.

Edited by Learn2LuvIt

in the past (especially remember it last season) the biggest problem was the fitness of the D. I remember Schneider injured... and also Lilja (although I actually like him) dallying on the puck instead of clearing it against anaheim. we need Lids and Rafalski BIG TIME in the playoffs if we wanna mount any sorta push for the cup. Plus i think Babcock will have to ditch the rotation of the goalies and just focus on one. If he chooses Ozzy then i think it will give him some real confidence and get the best performances.

feel free to come back at me.

We did very well last year and surpassed expectations. Lang and Schneider scored some very very clutch goals in last years playoffs though... But we need to be healthy enough and hopefully get some breaks. If Hasek and Lidstrom are there for the playoffs then i see us having a very good chance! :thumbup:

Agreed; me thinks Feds/Stuart/McCarty would be nice...However if Stuart is too costly I'd say Holland has another Dman in mind.

Ditto....maybe Campbell?

The Wings will do it, if they can stay healthy & get off the puck posession game. They need to skate like scared little girls!

Ditto....maybe Campbell?

The Wings will do it, if they can stay healthy & get off the puck posession game. They need to skate like scared little girls!

if stuart is too pricey, campbell will be way too pricey ...

and as someone said before, ANYONE can win it ... the ducks were favorites last year, but i don't think too many people would have said that edmonton or calgary could have won the west the 2 years before that, and look what happened ...

a lot of folks keep harping on how the wings' style of play is suited for the regular season and not the postseason, but i think they showed last year that they could adapt their style and play a grittier, more physical game when needed ... i know they didn't make it all the way, but it was a pleasant surprise to most of us and should at least give us some comfort that the wings can play a skilled puck possession regular season and then turn around and grind it out in the postseason ...

The Wings need to stay healthy and address their weakness (ideally, in a big way). As things stand right now, the Ducks would probably take this team in 6 or 7. The Sharks would also pose a problem. Our secondary scoring is shallow, and would only be even harder to come by in the postseason, and our blue line needs to get bigger, tougher, and more d-minded.

The Ducks will make a big move. The Sharks as well, I assume. Holland had better be prepared to counter.

To think the Wings are a lock to go out in the first is utterly ridiculous. "Lack of scoring"??? Isn't this the same team that leads the NHL in goals as well as point differential? There is not a playoff contender that is not worried about "secondary scoring" right now -- hello, salary cap.

Any team or fan base in the NHL would trade instantly to have the playoff success the Wings have had over the past ten years. I just want to shut up those critics so bad with yet another cup!

Hey, guys, remember that time the Wings did really well in the regular season only to be upset in the postseason?

and? the same can be said of every team (at least, that has done well) ... 16 teams make the playoffs, only one doesn't lose, and it's usually a different one from year to year ... the wings have a strong team with a few holes ... so does everyone else ... the wings need to stay healthy ... so does everyone else ... the wings could use a few pickups at the deadline ... so could everyone else ... but once the playoffs start, anything can happen ...