• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dominator2005

Red Wings, Leafs talking trade

Rate this topic

TheFourthPeriod.com

The Detroit Red Wings have struggled of late and the team is believed to be speaking to the Toronto Maple Leafs about a trade for Mats Sundin.

Sundin, 36, is making $5.5 million this season and is set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer. He has a no-trade clause and would have to approve any deal the Leafs agree to.

During's TFP's video coverage of the 2008 NHL Trade Deadline, NHL Analyst Todd Hlushko indicated that Sundin is hesitant to waive his no-trade clause to head to a Stanley Cup contender "because he doesn't want to feel like a piece of the puzzle. He wants to be somewhere at the beginning of the year."

Sources tell TFP that Leafs GM Cliff Fletcher and Sundin's agent, J.P. Barry, met earlier today in order to further understand which teams Sundin would consider being moved to. Sundin did not practice with the Leafs this morning.

Wings GM Ken Holland has been speaking with the Leafs about a multi-player that could send Sundin and defenseman Hal Gill to Detroit in exchange for a young forward, a prospect and a high draft pick.

The Red Wings are said to be reluctant to give up youngsters Jiri Hudler and Valtteri Filppula, although it's believed the Leafs want one of these two players in a package for Sundin.

The Red Wings are said to be reluctant to give up youngsters Jiri Hudler and Valtteri Filppula, although it's believed the Leafs want one of these two players in a package for Sundin.

See, they're eyeing our young guns. Say no, Kenny. Say absolutely no.

TheFourthPeriod.com

The Detroit Red Wings have struggled of late and the team is believed to be speaking to the Toronto Maple Leafs about a trade for Mats Sundin.

Sundin, 36, is making $5.5 million this season and is set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer. He has a no-trade clause and would have to approve any deal the Leafs agree to.

During's TFP's video coverage of the 2008 NHL Trade Deadline, NHL Analyst Todd Hlushko indicated that Sundin is hesitant to waive his no-trade clause to head to a Stanley Cup contender "because he doesn't want to feel like a piece of the puzzle. He wants to be somewhere at the beginning of the year."

Sources tell TFP that Leafs GM Cliff Fletcher and Sundin's agent, J.P. Barry, met earlier today in order to further understand which teams Sundin would consider being moved to. Sundin did not practice with the Leafs this morning.

Wings GM Ken Holland has been speaking with the Leafs about a multi-player that could send Sundin and defenseman Hal Gill to Detroit in exchange for a young forward, a prospect and a high draft pick.

Please say we are not gonna give up all of that for a rental. Holland must believe he can get him to re-sign if this has any legs cuase if not I don't see him doin it!

Guest Canadian Wings

TheFourthPeriod.com

Since when do we have a high draft pick?

Guest Canadian Wings

I'd deal Huds in a package for Sundin.

Why the f*** would we want Gill tho?

Gill could easily be that big body with some toughness that we need on the blue line. I tend to hate everyone on the Leafs, but this guy has managed to be a solid plus player on some crappy Leafs teams in the last few years.

To put it simply, Sundin on this team would be monstrous, rental or not. I mean, I hate the prospect of a rental, but this guy will give us everything that we need/want and more. He is that good.

Personally, I wouldn't be all that upset if we got rid of Huds. I just don't see this guy putting up solid, consistent numbers at any time with this team. We also have to look at the strong possibility that Anaheim will want Sundin as well. There may be a certain degree of needing him so that Anaheim can't have him.

I think if Kenny could swing this with getting rid of Hudler, a prospect that's not Kindl/Erickson, and a high draft pick, he should go for it! Seeing Sundin in a Wings jersey would make me lose my mind!

I just read this. Don't want to lose Hudler but out of those two I could deal with him the most. I do NOT want them to deal Filppula. He is going to be way too good, and like others have said, for a rental? As for Gill he's a big body and he would be for depth. What's so wrong with him? He's on a bad team. Jamie Macoun didn't look like the greatest pick up in 98 but he did pretty well. You never know how guys will work out. I don't see Sundin resigning here but you never know I guess.

I'd deal Huds in a package for Sundin.

Why the f*** would we want Gill tho?

Assets Has tremendous size. Is extremely difficult to play against when delivering a crushing hit or clearing the front of the net. Can log a lot of minutes.

he is 6'7" 250

Flaws As is usually the case with big defenders, skating is his downfall. Doesn't have the speed to compensate if caught out of position. Has limited offensive ability.

Career potential Top six defenseman.

sounds ok to me

I don't like it at all.

Lets go for a guy that we can sign long term. Lets not try and get a guy that is going to be here for the playoffs and then high tale it out of here after the season. I hate that whole idea and i think that this practice needs to end sooner then later.

Rental players suck!!!!

Guest Canadian Wings
Remember Cory Cross? Holland thinks that Gill is the answer to our physical problems on defense just because Gill is tall.

Gill hasn't been bad for the Leafs this year, he's good on the PK and is pretty tough. But still, just looking at him in a Wings jersey would make me sick.

Assets Has tremendous size. Is extremely difficult to play against when delivering a crushing hit or clearing the front of the net. Can log a lot of minutes.

he is 6'7" 250

Flaws As is usually the case with big defenders, skating is his downfall. Doesn't have the speed to compensate if caught out of position. Has limited offensive ability.

Career potential Top six defenseman.

sounds ok to me

Trust me, after watching him in Boston,

PASS!!!

This guy will get smoked at the Blue line, if a shifty player is coming down the wing and is lined up with Gill, the goalie better be ready for a break away!!!

Another Swede would be nice. I love Sundin. :thumbup:

Mats Sundin has no Stanley Cup on his resume, despite his stellar career. Perhaps he would take a cut to get to play with the Wings, following in Dom and Luc's footsteps and get his name on a Cup before he hangs 'em up. Hull did the same -- at least he got his name on Cup which was won legitimately. <_<

I think there would be a huge upside to Sudden in Detroit. Maybe not at the expense of mortgaging our future, however. just wonder if he to win badly enough to take the risk of taking less money for a better chance a shiny silver Stanley Cup?

Lord knows he won't win one in TO. :hehe: