• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dominator2005

Red Wings, Leafs talking trade

Rate this topic

That's what I say too. If it's GOT to happen though, I hope we keep Flipper. Sorry Huds.

:thumbup: Amen to that brother! Hopefully Fletcher doesn't have to same waning opinion about Hudler as we do...

...hopefully not Kindl either. Maybe Andersson or Axelsson (Dick) along with Hudler and a first...

...I like to think we'd keep Kindl, Emmerton, Abdelkader, Ericsson (of course) and Helm. Maybe Brenden Smith would entice Toronto, but I am partial to keeping some North American prospects too...

...Hey, maybe we can offer them Grigorenko! :P

Guest Canadian Wings
Oh god no, not Hal Gill. The Leafs are probably doing this to make someone else swallow the salary. The guy is useless and does not use his size effectively.

Gill makes $2.1 mill next year which isn't bad at all.

Hudler sucks. I wouldn't give a damn if the Wings got rid of him; in fact, I'd be happy. He hasn't scored a goal in 15 games now, and is not pulling his weight here at all.

Filppula... I don't really want to give him up for a rental player. If the Wings can get somebody else in the deal (though I really don't know who I'd want off the Leafs), or they got a long-term player for Filppula, I wouldn't mind giving him up. But for a rental? No way.

Gill makes $2.1 mill next year which isn't bad at all.

yeah that's not all that bad. And everyone is on this guy but to say, if he did come here, that you know how he will work out is just dumb. This is the same place that was yelling at holland about a year ago for letting Guerin go to the Sharks. I know Bert didn't dominate but with his bad back he had a better playoff than Guerin. And like I said Larry Murphy and Jamie Macoun left Toronto as goats and came here and helped win a cup(s).

not when your work doesn't let you :P

:(

cliff basically isn't saying anything at all.

He confirmed that he spoke to Mats' agent this morning, but would not confirm that he asked for a list of teams that Mats would consider.

Guest Canadian Wings
Fletcher is saying NOTHING is imminent. Think the press is way exaggerating.

He's not gonna say he has a couple deals on the table lol (if true)

yeah that's not all that bad. And everyone is on this guy but to say, if he did come here, that you know how he will work out is just dumb. This is the same place that was yelling at holland about a year ago for letting Guerin go to the Sharks. I know Bert didn't dominate but with his bad back he had a better playoff than Guerin. And like I said Larry Murphy and Jamie Macoun left Toronto as goats and came here and helped win a cup(s).

You're kidding, right? This is Hal Gill we're talking about.

The guy is 6'7, yet is a soft as a goose down pillow. He never uses his size, has no offensive ability at all, and is absolutley horrendous defensivily. If you think Lilja is bad with the puck, you haven't seen anything until you've seen Gill. It's awful watching him.

Murphy and Macoun were a lot different than Gill. Each one of them had abilities they could bring to the table: Murphy was an offensive, puck moving guy, and Macoun was more of a physical, stay at home defenseman. They both were brought here because they addressed certain needs, and it helped that they could be brought in for cheap, and didn't have big salaries to pay either.

Gill is neither of those things. He can't put up points, and he's not physical either. He is the perfect example of the type of player that has, for the most, gone extinct in the new NHL, and that is the big, slow guy who can't skate, and has to maul opposing players down like a giant bear. Even in the pre-lockout NHL he was still terrible, and always has been.

People are being fooled by Gill's size. He's a terrible defenseman all around, and since he doesn't use his size at all, it would make no sense to have him here.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Cliff confirms he's talking to certain teams, but isn't saying much else.

Regarding a contract extension for Mats: won't confirm anything, "everything's on the table right now"

I just realized this interview is happening just down the road from my house!

the Leafs are going to trade away Sundin for Hudler?

:blink:

They're the Toronto Maple Leafs. Think about some of the things they've done, or haven't done over the years. Got it? Ok, now ask yourself that question again. Makes perfect sense. :sly:

Edited by Hockeytown0001

He's not gonna say he has a couple deals on the table lol (if true)

Yeah exactly. I remember on July 1st 2001 reading in the paper that Sunday morning a quote from Holland "We are very happy with our goaltending situation." That was from an interview they had with him just a few days earlier, and I can promise you that he was already talking to Darcy about Dom by that time.

Wings say 'team push' for Sundin simply untrue; Mac likely to be signed, waived, sent to Grand Rapids

Posted by George James Malik February 22, 2008 16:02PM

The Detroit Red Wings are debunking a rumour made by the Fan 590's Howard Berger, who says that the Wings' players have petitioned GM Ken Holland to acquire Sundin. Here's the take from the Free Press's Helene St. James:

February 22, Detroit Free Press: Henrik Zetterberg greeted the news with a laugh - the kind that said, yeah, right. As if Holland needs players to prompt him to make a trade.

"My personal opinion," Kronwall said, "I don't think he wants to go anywhere. I think he'll end up staying."

Mike Babcock doesn't see it happening, either, because the Leafs would need to get a huge return on their captain.

"The Things about it is, there's a cost and a reward factor," Babcock said. "I don't see that happening. I don't think that's going to happen in Detroit. I could be hugely mistaken, but to me when, when you're Mr. Flether (Leafs GM Cliff Fletcher) and you go to the media and tell them what you got for this guy, who's been the face of your franchise, it's not coming from Detroit, because we're not giving up that."

Holland told St. James the usual--that he's looking to bolster the line-up with a top-six forward and a depth defenceman--but he also revealed that he hopes to sign Darren McCarty just before the trade deadline so that the team can expose him to waivers. Once waived, McCarty would be allowed to stay with the Grand Rapids Griffins indefinitely to get his conditioning back up to NHL standards:

It would be more ideal to be able to keep McCarty in Grand Rapids longer, because he hasn't played hockey all season. Holland said Friday that while the rest of the NHL is "in February, for McCarty, it's October," - meaning that's how far behind McCarty trails

Here's the gist of the rumour scuttlebutt via the News's John Niyo:

February 22, Detroit News: Word out of Toronto -- and, yes, that's always a dangerous way to start -- is that the expected Mats Sundin-to-???? deal could go down before the weekend is over. Here's what we do know:

With the Leafs officially out of it, GM Cliff Fletcher finally met with Sundin on Thursday, and according to TSN he asked him to give him a list of teams. (Sundin has a no-trade clause, so he controls his own fate here.) The Leafs reportedly wanted their answer by today, and Fletcher, who met with Sundin's agent today, is on record as saying he won't wait 'till the last minute if he's going to deal his captain.

Sundin made himself scarce after last night's loss to Buffalo, with team spokesman saying he had "the flu." Not surprisingly, he also missed today's practice with "the flu," as did on-the-trading-block defenseman Bryan McCabe, though his case of "the flu" didn't keep him from meeting with Fletcher today to discuss his future.

Meanwhile, Howard Berger from the The Fan 590 in Toronto reports today that Wings' players are still pushing for Sundin (see Ted's post below for Zetterberg response), though it's worth noting that Detroit's rivals (i.e. Anaheim, San Jose) would seem have more to offer.

You can listen to the interview with Berger here (or you can download it as an MP3--and at the 7:40 mark, Berger claims that a half a dozen Wings, not all of them Swedes, have lobbied Holland to push for Sundin's services.

As for those comments by Kulfan?

February 22, Detroit News: The Wings also laughed off reports out of Toronto they've approached general manager Ken Holland about acquiring Maple Leafs captain Mats Sundin before Tuesday's 3 p.m. trade deadline.

"Uh no, no," said Zetterberg, whether the Wings' Swedish contingent has approached Holland.

Holland said the Wings will make Darren McCarty a contract offer sometime this weekend.

Kulfan notes that there's a hot rumour about Sergei Fedorov heading to Ottawa, but you never know with the rumours that come from a certain website that wants to charge you $20 to become an "insider."

The rumour regarding Sundin supposedly is constituted of Sundin and Hal Gill to Detroit for either Filppula or Hudler, a top prospect, and a draft pick, which is ridiculous.

Tags: Darren McCarty, Detroit Red Wings, Henrik Zetterberg, Ken Holland, Leaf Land, Mats Sundin, Mike Babcock, Niklas Kronwall, rumours, Toronto Maple Leafs, trade deadline

Post a comment | View comments (0)

I knew it!

Edited by ShanahanMan