• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
miller76

I will sign if I can keep my number!

Rate this topic

I have been looking around the internet and reading little things here and there about players numbers. With this deadline coming up, do players consider this when signing on a team?

Does a player have a right to demand this? Is there a respect factor? Is it a "well I am Marion Hossa and I make X amount of millions a year, and you Mr.Maltby do not, I want 18 or I will not sign with you"

Sundin wears 13, so does Datsyuk.

Hossa wears 18, so does Maltby.

Rob Blake wears 4, so does Quincey.

Sergei Fedorov wears 91, no current wing wears 91.

Brad Stuart wears 6, no current wing wears 6.

Bryan McCabe wears 24, and of course Cheli wears 24.

I am sure there are more that I didn't throw in.

I know in the past players have given their numbers up for another player. Franzen gave his 39 to Hasek, and agreed to 93.

and of course 1,7,9,10,12, and definetly 19 are off limits.

What do you guys think?

Edited by miller76

6 is unofficially retired for Larry Aurie, and 16 will not be worn again in the near future, if ever. No veteren will give up his number to the new guy coming in. Malts, Dats, and Cheli will keep their numbers because they are fixtures on this team, countless jerseys have been produced for the public with those players and numbers, so the new guys will have to make another choice to make famous in the winged wheel

It doesn't happen all that often and it only happens when it's a high profile player or veteran vs. a unproven kid. Ie. Blake and Quincey.

Kopecky, Franzen, Fischer have all had to do it recently and they were all for pretty significant players at the time. Guys like Markov and Calder got no special treatment.

Well, Maltby would keep 18 over Hossa...

Datsyuk keeps 13 over Sundin...

Quincy would likely give up 4 for Blake if asked I would think...

Cheli would keep 24 over McCabe...

Like the last poster said, it would really only happen with a proven player vs an unproven kid...

There are always stories going around about players buying their number from another player. Do you think Maltby would sell his number to Hossa if he came here.

I would imagine no. I guess i'm wondering more as to what do you think a guy would offer to purchase a number?

Guest Lebda4Pres
I have been looking around the internet and reading little things here and there about players numbers. With this deadline coming up, do players consider this when signing on a team?

Does a player have a right to demand this? Is there a respect factor? Is it a "well I am Marion Hossa and I make X amount of millions a year, and you Mr.Maltby do not, I want 18 or I will not sign with you"

Sundin wears 13, so does Datsyuk.

Hossa wears 18, so does Maltby.

Rob Blake wears 4, so does Quincey.

Sergei Fedorov wears 91, no current wing wears 91.

Brad Stuart wears 6, no current wing wears 6.

I am sure there are more that I didn't throw in.

I know in the past players have given their numbers up for another player. Franzen gave his 39 to Hasek, and agreed to 93.

and of course 1,7,9,10,12, and definetly 19 are off limits.

What do you guys think?

Who knows Datsyuk may take his old # 56 from his rookie season.

Maltby's got seniority over Hossa.

Quincey is just a call-up so no way blake would have to give 4 up.

6 is unofficially retired (Larry Aurie) so tough luck Stuart

24 is Chelio's no one would mess with him for a #.

Guest Lebda4Pres
There are always stories going around about players buying their number from another player. Do you think Maltby would sell his number to Hossa if he came here.

I would imagine no. I guess i'm wondering more as to what do you think a guy would offer to purchase a number?

Ever see "The Fan"? It has Wesley Snipes getting traded and finding out another player has his number and in a sub-plot of the movie he tries to buy it back.

Something I just thought about... I completely agree with the number 16 being honored in such a manner.

Considering the circumstances that were, I would also like to see the same done for "2".

Edited by ruarc'

6 is unofficially retired for Larry Aurie, and 16 will not be worn again in the near future, if ever.

16 is beyond off limit. Vladdy embodies the Red Wings just as much as Yzerman does imo.

Who knows Datsyuk may take his old # 56 from his rookie season.

Maltby's got seniority over Hossa.

Quincey is just a call-up so no way blake would have to give 4 up.

6 is unofficially retired (Larry Aurie) so tough luck Stuart

24 is Chelio's no one would mess with him for a #.

:blink: I could be wrong but I don't ever remember Datsyuk wearing #56...as far as I remember he has been #13 his whole time on this team....

Sundin wouldn't ask for his number because Datsyuk is a staple in the organization where Mats will be gone back to Toronto next year.

Maltby's been with the team for years and would never be asked or expected to give up his number for Hossa.

If Quincey didn't get dealt in that deal then he would probably give his number to Blake.

If I need to explain why there is no point for you to read any further.

Oh and Blake said he's wasn't interested in waving his no-trade and I believe that is solid because he's near the end of his career and in California which is where he wants to be.

Sergei Fedorov wears 91, no current Wing wears 91.

I would hate this BIG TIME! Fedorov is a broke old player that can't do anything close to what he used to. I can't believe that people think this is good? The only way I see Fedorov returning to the Wings is as a last resort if we don't get Hossa, Sundin or anyone else.

Yeah McCabe won't be leaving Toronto he's said that he doesn't care who wants him he's staying in Toronto.

And of course 1,7,9,10,12, and definitely 19 are off limits.

Uh yeah but Stevie coming out of retirement to join the team thru the playoffs would be fricken sweet! LOL!

I would hate this BIG TIME! Fedorov is a broke old player that can't do anything close to what he used to. I can't believe that people think this is good? The only way I see Fedorov returning to the Wings is as a last resort if we don't get Hossa, Sundin or anyone else.

Um, Feds wouldn't be acquired to score 40 goals and 120 points. I don't think anyone - at least on LGW - expects or requires him to do that. We want him because he's a definite upgrade to the guys we have on the 2nd line, he's very sound defensively and we finally get rid of Sammy on the point on the PP. Don't really dislike Sammy all that much but I'd be extremely happy with him gone from there. And yeah, I won't deny it, the sentimental value is extremely high too and I can't see him performing worse in Detroit than he has been doing in Anaheim or Columbus.

Something I just thought about... I completely agree with the number 16 being honored in such a manner.

Considering the circumstances that were, I would also like to see the same done for "2".

I've been wondering what they'd do about Fisch's number. Are they waiting until he decides to officially hang them up? I know he's holding out hope he can play again.

Guest Lebda4Pres
I thought the same thing. As far as I can remember Dats rookie season was 2002. The first year Kozlov was traded

if you look back at some his old cards you will notice for the first half or so he wore # 56 so did Fischer in his rook season and Holmstrom wore #15 for a portion of his rook season too.