• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FunkedUp

OFFICIAL: Sundin Staying Put

Rate this topic

wow... damn you sundin i was sooo focused on what u where going to do i forgot to watch my ducks game just wow... not to mention seeing teemu get a hattie... i missed that to see that he is not getting traded... weak

Edited by Duck Guy

I guarantee you the vast majority of fans would be outraged if Steve decided to leave.

And if at the time were scrapping the bottom like the Laffs are now? maybe not.

For all you people bashing Sundin (and like Ozzie30 said)...

Imagine we never won our Cups in '97, '98 and '02. Imagine that our team wasn't going anywhere by 2004. Imagine that Ken Holland would give Stevie Y a shot at going to a contender to try and capture that elusive trophy. And imagine Stevie Y said no, declined to waive his NTC and insisted on staying with the Wings.

Would he be a dick? Would he be selfish?

Or would we praise him for his loyality?

Then again, knowing how fickle Wings fans are... <_<

What do you mean they are not loyal to him. They asked him to waive it and they wont think anything of him not doing so as he is within the rights of his contract. Sundin is loved in Leaf Nation, trust me I live in it. It is not as if Fletcher was shopping him, the deal(s) were offered to Fletcher. Give your head a shake bud.

My head is just fine. I'm sure the offers did come in, but if the Leafs weren't interested in a trade they would have never asked Sundin to waive the no trade. They were offered something they wanted more than Sundin and were ready to get rid of him. To me, that shows they don't have much loyalty.

This really does not surprise me. Sundin is known for his character and I'm pleased to see him sticking with what he thinks is right and not succumbing to the pressure that was surely being put on him. He'll fight it out with the Leafs to the end of his career and that's just how it should be.

i'm glad he's staying because of if he waived it and we got him, I don't feel as though itd' be the mats sundin anyone knows. I think his heart just wouldn't be there playing for a different team and therefore would make him considerably less effective.

Something tells me that the Leafs had a deal wrapped up with a team that Sundin just would not play for ( cough, cough Ducks?). Yeah, if I was a fan of the Leafs I might have been a little ticked off if it could help their future, but I think Sundin is being true to his team and himself. Respect him for that.

Yay. Now the Wings won't overpay to get him. The only bad thing that comes out of this is the price for Hossa just went up hugely.

Watch now as Sundin is villianized in Toronto for not waiving it. The next Leafs home game should be... interesting, to say the least.

For all you people bashing Sundin (and like Ozzie30 said)...

Imagine we never won our Cups in '97, '98 and '02. Imagine that our team wasn't going anywhere by 2004. Imagine that Ken Holland would give Stevie Y a shot at going to a contender to try and capture that elusive trophy. And imagine Stevie Y said no, declined to waive his NTC and insisted on staying with the Wings.

Would he be a dick? Would he be selfish?

Or would we praise him for his loyality?

Then again, knowing how fickle Wings fans are... <_<

I'm trying to imagine that but those 3 cups keep coming to mind :P

Guest CaliWingsNut

ATL GM has stated several times that a team would be given 48 hours on hossa to sign him to a contract....Hossa is already traded or won't be until summer. Therefore this has no bearing on his cost.

Guest Canadian Wings
ATL GM has stated several times that a team would be given 48 hours on hossa to sign him to a contract....Hossa is already traded or won't be until summer. Therefore this has no bearing on his cost.

he hasn't been traded yet because teams were waiting to see what sundin would do. also, waddell WILL trade him before the deadline. expect to see a hossa trade happen sometime tomorrow night.

That's a really good point. He would have had to be traded by, what, 3:00 this afternoon?? Which, if I'm not mistaken, was right about the same time Sundin told the Leafs he wasn't waiving. So, the two should not affect one another.

If this case, in hindsight, this may not have been the best time management by Waddell, no? If he has made a deal today, pushing it back right to the last minute, and Hossa and the team aren't able to reach an agreement, then the Thrashers will lose Hossa for nothing. They traded Hossa for Heatley straight up, remember. That would be kind of a big deal.

Edit: CanadianWings, do you think that Waddell would just throw out the 48 hour resigning period??? I mean, I don't know, he was under no obligation. But it is possible that he has been traded already.

Edited by awingsincebirth

Good for him.

While it is definitely natural for people of any career/profession or professional athletes to work and make a living in different cities throughout their lifetimes, I respect stay pat and playing in one city/honoring one organization for all or the majority of your career.

If Sundin is most happy in Toronto even if they don't make the playoffs or struggle, more power to him.

I admire that. There's a lot to be said for a player who sticks with his team his entire career instead of going somewhere else to try and win the Stanley Cup. As a defensive mechanism, the people in Boston are probably laughing at Sundin right now.

Respect? Are you kidding me? This guy is a joke. He's ******* the Leafs over hard. I didn't want him (as I have stated in numerous threads; Hossa makes much more sense), but at least the Ducks don't get him. Seriously though, the guy is a dick. He could've helped the Leafs out so much.

I haven't read through four pages, but it's quite a dilemma. If you truly love your team, do you screw yourself over by leaving to give them a better chance for the future, or do you stay?

In any case, Sundin is a class act.

Guest CaliWingsNut
he hasn't been traded yet because teams were waiting to see what sundin would do. also, waddell WILL trade him before the deadline. expect to see a hossa trade happen sometime tomorrow night.

Do you really believe that all those teams that are shopping around were really waiting on him?? 1 maybe 2 teams had deals under review by sundin. The others had already moved on.

Good for Sundin. I can't believe the people that are calling him selfish. The Leafs organization/fans are out of line for expecting him to waive something that both he and the team agreed on. Hopefully Sundin will sign somewhere else.

Yay for Sundin, I'm glad he's giving the Leafs this perceived ******* (even though it's in his contract)

Guys, we must remember who we are dealing with, a Mr. Ken Holland. We will be lucky if we get Federov, I mean Darren Mac is suiting up, but i mean, in all reality, we are setting up for a disappointing post season. I dont just say things like that either, actually I do believe this is the first negative connotation I have made regarding their future success. Not to mention this is the first time I really am beginning to expect the worst.

Guys, we must remember who we are dealing with, a Mr. Ken Holland. We will be lucky if we get Federov, I mean Darren Mac is suiting up, but i mean, in all reality, we are setting up for a disappointing post season. I dont just say things like that either, actually I do believe this is the first negative connotation I have made regarding their future success. Not to mention this is the first time I really am beginning to expect the worst.

Ew.

So Sundin was the magical cure to the Wings inevitable failure, eh?