• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Yemack

McCarty officially signs with Wings

Rate this topic

I've seen this story now (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...RTS05/802260397) and indeed I know that Grinder is one of the most popular characters in Detroit but he was a pretty awful guy up in Calgary, married a girl, racked up 20 grand in gambling charges on her credit card, took her SUV, and drove to Detroit, giving her his "Dear John" via a note he left in their house along with other debts. I hope he truely realizes that he is being given a chance almost nobody else in the league would ever recieves let along most human beings. It's very much undeserved but he had better realize how fortunate he is to still have friends in good places. It's not even about him battling his own demons and fixing his own problems, it's about all the people he has hurt along the way and continue to hurt (he abandoned his wife in Calgary and still hasn't paid any of the bills).

Don't be so dramatic, we don't know the exact circumstances between him and his Calgary wife. What we do know is MAC gave his heart and soul to Detroit and it only makes sense that Detroit is where he has support. He can't be all that bad if his first wife is one of his biggest supporters in Detroit right now. He made mistakes and is trying to turn things around.

esteef

Don't be so dramatic, we don't know the exact circumstances between him and his Calgary wife. What we do know is MAC gave his heart and soul to Detroit and it only makes sense that Detroit is where he has support. He can't be all that bad if his first wife is one of his biggest supporters in Detroit right now. He made mistakes and is trying to turn things around.

esteef

Draper himself said that he wasn't on speaking terms with Darren because of a lot of things that happened for years and it took something for them to sit together and talk about helping DMac back into hockey. He is very lucky to have friends that can help him so much. He earned a lot of goodwill for his years of service to Detroit, that counts for something, but I don't think any other player in the league would get a chance like this.

Edited by Hack&Lube

Draper himself said that he wasn't on speaking terms with Darren because of a lot of things that happened for years and it took something for them to sit together and talk about helping DMac back into hockey. He is very lucky to have friends that can help him so much. He earned a lot of goodwill for his years of service to Detroit, that counts for something, but I don't think any other player in the league would get a chance like this.

Draper said they basically just drifted apart. MAC was in Calgary with the Flames, doing his band thing and all his bad habits yes, but he never did anything personally to Drapes. Not anything that would cause them to be on bad terms or anything. MAC simply moved away, literally, to another team, another city, hell another life.

True, though, a lot of guys don't have that kind of good credit to fall back on like MAC does in Detroit. Let's hope he makes the most of it.

Cheers!

esteef

Draper said they basically just drifted apart. MAC was in Calgary with the Flames, doing his band thing and all his bad habits yes, but he never did anything personally to Drapes. Not anything that would cause them to be on bad terms or anything. MAC simply moved away, literally, to another team, another city, hell another life.

True, though, a lot of guys don't have that kind of good credit to fall back on like MAC does in Detroit. Let's hope he makes the most of it.

Cheers!

esteef

It was more than drifting apart. The quotes I read from Draper made it pretty clear that Mac was into things that weren't good and was going down a road Draper had no interest in. I don't think he personally screwed over Draper or anything, but it wasn't just losing touch. It sounded like a conscious choice by Drapes.

It was more than drifting apart. The quotes I read from Draper made it pretty clear that Mac was into things that weren't good and was going down a road Draper had no interest in. I don't think he personally screwed over Draper or anything, but it wasn't just losing touch. It sounded like a conscious choice by Drapes.

Yep, Drapes just didn't inhale basically. :D

I'm not trying to badmouth him, just trying to point out that he really needs to take advantage of and be grateful for this opportunity he is getting and then to make amends with the people he has wronged. You can probably see I'm from Calgary and there were quite a few stories floating around for those 2 seasons and articles like this show they aren't unfounded. Hope he does well.