• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ShanahanMan

Holland: "There WILL be moves."

Rate this topic

Per DetNews:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../802260363/1128

With the NHL trade deadline today at 3 p.m., the Wings are hoping to add a goal-scorer and a solid defenseman in what could be busy day throughout the NHL.

"There will be some moves," general manager Ken Holland said. "I hear enough rumors, and talking to enough people, there will be moves."

The Wings expect to participate.

*edit* Now that I read it again, I think I took what he said out of context. I believe he meant there will be moves all around the NHL, not with the Wings in particular. Lame.....got me excited for a second. Still, interesting read.

Edited by ShanahanMan

Ya other teams making moves, god forbid we did anything brash, I mean heck, a regular season and pipe dream of the stanley cup are good enough for me. But really how long can we live of the memories of the late 90's

Ya other teams making moves, god forbid we did anything brash, I mean heck, a regular season and pipe dream of the stanley cup are good enough for me. But really how long can we live of the memories of the late 90's

We did brash last year and gave up a good prospect for a lazy head puncher.

We did brash last year and gave up a good prospect for a lazy head puncher.

Really, I seem to believe us making it to the WCF opposed to the two prior years where we made quite an untimely exit from the playoffs. I am not solely crediting the move for our success last year just pointing out the irony in the fact that for the first time in a long while we make it to the WCF the same year we finally have a sack and do something before the trade day deadline.

Really, I seem to believe us making it to the WCF opposed to the two prior years where we made quite an untimely exit from the playoffs. I am not solely crediting the move for our success last year just pointing out the irony in the fact that for the first time in a long while we make it to the WCF the same year we finally have a sack and do something before the trade day deadline.

If you're not solely crediting the move to the Wings' success, care to give me a breakdown? Maybe 98% the team we had, 2% Bert/Calder?

I think it's clear irony has nothing to do with results. You'd better alert Ilitch if size of a GM's 'sack' on deadline day is an accurate measure of success, though.

Edited by Anomalously

:lol:

"There will be some moves," general manager Ken Holland said

The Wings expect to participate.

Must be talking about line dancing :ph34r:

Well, hopefully someone named Fedorov will be doin the 'Achey Breaky' and dancing all the way back home.

:thumbup:

(hopelessly hopefull)

What's Holland's big move gonna be? Drake for Florida's 6th round pick?

Pretty harsh words for a guy who has built a contender for the past 15 years, but then again your right, I mean look at all of the success Philly has had recently with their buying and selling philosophy.

I assume the 88 in your username is the year you were born, graduated or the number you wear, if it is the former you missed the Dead things era and really can't appreciate what you are witness to right now.

For those of us that watch and rooted for those teams, think that rooting for a team that won 3 cups in 12 years, and is a perennial power house is a pretty nice thing and Holland, in my book, gets a lot of credit for that.

But who am I to try and bring logic to a discussion board.

Pretty harsh words for a guy who has built a contender for the past 15 years, but then again your right, I mean look at all of the success Philly has had recently with their buying and selling philosophy.

I assume the 88 in your username is the year you were born, graduated or the number you wear, if it is the former you missed the Dead things era and really can't appreciate what you are witness to right now.

For those of us that watch and rooted for those teams, think that rooting for a team that won 3 cups in 12 years, and is a perennial power house is a pretty nice thing and Holland, in my book, gets a lot of credit for that.

But who am I to try and bring logic to a discussion board.

The two trading deadlines since the lockout have been failures for Holland, since none of those guys is still here, and we didn't win the Cup, which is what a team ultimately attempts to solidify with deadline deals when they're atop the standings. I think it's more than fair to criticize Holland for his recent work, instead of praising him for the Cups we won 10 years ago.

The two trading deadlines since the lockout have been failures for Holland, since none of those guys is still here, and we didn't win the Cup, which is what a team ultimately attempts to solidify with deadline deals when they're atop the standings. I think it's more than fair to criticize Holland for his recent work, instead of praising him for the Cups we won 10 years ago.

Well one of them was less than 5 seasons ago, but yeah ten years was a close guess.

If you really honestly think or expect them to win the cup every year you are delusional, no offense meant man. The way pro sports have turned you will be very hard pressed to see teams like the Old School Canadiens or Islanders or Oilers, it just isn't going to happen.

Now do I want my teams to win it every year, hell yes!

Am I upset when they don't, Hell yeah!

But I can look back at the season and say, this year has been a success, Holland has put things in place so that next year I have the ability to hope the team wins it.

Where as if I was a fan of say Florida, Tampa, Philly, L.A. Kings, Toronto, Buffalo, etc.... I would look at next season and say

"Holy f*** we suck again" which is why fans of most teams think Wings' fans are spoiled.

Because for the last 15 years the team has been a top contending team, besides the Devils and Wings name me one team that has been as consistently successful over that time frame.

Now name me GM's in that time frame who have held their job as long as Holland, How many teams have made busts of trades in that time frame. ATL last year got hosed for making a big deal at the deadline that screwed their team in the post season to the tune of a sweep by the almighty RAGS!!!!!!

Sometimes it is not the move you make, but the move you don't make.

Would I like to see Hossa in the Winged Wheel you bet you socks I do, but I don't know if Holland couldn't work his salary into the wings plans.

And don't give me that crap about you don't care about next year as long as they win it this year. Because next year you will probably be on here saying the same thing.

Edit: I am not sure letting go of Bert was a failing grade, same with Calder, Lang was a good move and regardless of his status on this board was a playoff performer and without him this team probably doesn't leave the SJ series last year.

Edited by Opie

Well one of them was less than 5 seasons ago, but yeah ten years was a close guess.

If you really honestly think or expect them to win the cup every year you are delusional, no offense meant man. The way pro sports have turned you will be very hard pressed to see teams like the Old School Canadiens or Islanders or Oilers, it just isn't going to happen.

Now do I want my teams to win it every year, hell yes!

Am I upset when they don't, Hell yeah!

But I can look back at the season and say, this year has been a success, Holland has put things in place so that next year I have the ability to hope the team wins it.

Where as if I was a fan of say Florida, Tampa, Philly, L.A. Kings, Toronto, Buffalo, etc.... I would look at next season and say

"Holy f*** we suck again" which is why fans of most teams think Wings' fans are spoiled.

Because for the last 15 years the team has been a top contending team, besides the Devils and Wings name me one team that has been as consistently successful over that time frame.

Now name me GM's in that time frame who have held their job as long as Holland, How many teams have made busts of trades in that time frame. ATL last year got hosed for making a big deal at the deadline that screwed their team in the post season to the tune of a sweep by the almighty RAGS!!!!!!

Sometimes it is not the move you make, but the move you don't make.

Would I like to see Hossa in the Winged Wheel you bet you socks I do, but I don't know if Holland couldn't work his salary into the wings plans.

And don't give me that crap about you don't care about next year as long as they win it this year. Because next year you will probably be on here saying the same thing.

Edit: I am not sure letting go of Bert was a failing grade, same with Calder, Lang was a good move and regardless of his status on this board was a playoff performer and without him this team probably doesn't leave the SJ series last year.

You forgot to mention the "Human Tragedy" known as Cory Cross. I just want people to admit that Holland isn't as good a GM with the salary cap than without it. He's still one of the top GM's in the league, but the whole "Genius" status that he's given here by some members just because of past success is ridiculous.

IMO what makes Holland a failure over the last few years, his lack of moves in the off season.

This man has admitted deficiencies in this team, and still refuses to go out and get it done.

After being eliminated in the playoffs he sounds like a broken record, and fails to accomplish his own goals. At least the goals he states after the season is over.

I think today is another bust.

IMO what makes Holland a failure over the last few years, his lack of moves in the off season.

This man has admitted deficiencies in this team, and still refuses to go out and get it done.

After being eliminated in the playoffs he sounds like a broken record, and fails to accomplish his own goals. At least the goals he states after the season is over.

You make a very, very good point. One that I happen to completely agree with. I mean how long until the nostalgia of our cup wins in the late 90's wears off? Jesus, we do dick in the playoffs and nothing. Its all about building prospects, which is obviously necessary, but to an extent. look at the differences between our cup winning squads and this one. Then tell me you don't see a difference.

I didn't think his trade deadline pickups last year were bad at all. We gave up Jason Williams to get Kyle Calder who everyone hated with a passion (Jason Williams that is) and he didn't work out, and that happens. We picked up Bertuzzi for no one which created a lot of buzz and could have proved genius if it worked out..unfortunately it didn't. Just becuase everything doesn't work out doesn't mean he does a bad job though. You have to work with what you got...you are giving up contracted players for a guy at the end of his contract who might not sign with you a lot of times...it's a big gamble. Am I willing to give up all our young guys for any player in the league for 2 months? No. I hope that Holland wouldn't also.

The only moves that will take place is his bowels.......oh... the pressure!!!! I still think Sergei will be back.......Foote will end up at the Avs reunion tour........

You forgot to mention the "Human Tragedy" known as Cory Cross. I just want people to admit that Holland isn't as good a GM with the salary cap than without it. He's still one of the top GM's in the league, but the whole "Genius" status that he's given here by some members just because of past success is ridiculous.

I was on the opposite end of the spectrum, so tired of people calling him a failure that I wanted people to understand he is one of the best in the league, but seeing as you already knew that I wasted a lot of kbs with that post!

He has tried to fix those issues but was not willing to pay Danny Markov 4+ mil a year for 3 years (or was it 4 he wanted), he was unwilling to pay Bert 4 mil a year, and seeing as no one else was willing to pay Markov, and only Burke was willing to pay Bert I would assume he played his cards right.

Do you think Det is the only team looking for a power forward that can score, an enforcer who can at least kill penalties or do something other than throw fists, do you think Det is the only team looking for a Solid stay at home defenseman who can play the PP PK and be a top pairing in case of injury.