• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Yemack

Your assessment of Today

Rate this topic

i am surprised though that pitt didn't offer up a 2nd round pick for huet. they need him a lot more than washington does. atually, it makes no sense for montreal to even trade huet at all - especially not getting a forward in return. very odd. and what ever happened with the robert lang trade?

Edited by alienanxiety

Here's what really pisses me off -->

We could have had Markov at the beginning of the season with all that cap space we have.

Instead, we pick up Stuart (not an improvement) for only a quarter of the season and *lose* 2nd and 4th round picks.

You have to consider the precedent that it would have set giving Markov the amount of money that he was asking though. That is a really important point. Other players now and in the future would use his ridiculously high salary in their negotiations and that would have been bad for the Wings overall for a long time.

From the other thread...

2006/07 Playoffs:

Lang: 2 G, 6 A, 8 P

Bertuzzi: 3 G, 4 A, 7 P

Schneider: 2 G, 4 A, 6 P (though injured)

Total: 7 G, 14 A, 21 P

Total minus Schneider: 5 G, 10 A, 15 P

I'm not saying that's insignificant, but I don't see it as a huge issue at all, because...

2006/07 stats and thoughts...

Holmstrom: 5 G, 3 A, 8 P (missed 3 games with injury...) - Barring freak injuries, he should put up as good if not better numbers

Fillipula: 3 G, 2 A, 5 P - I think he'll double his production this year, I don't think he's a future Datsyuk, but I think he's got a lot more to show us

Franzen: 3 G, 4 A, 7 P - I think he'll add to that this year, the Red Wings playoff team is made for guys like him

Cleary: 4 G, 8 A, 12 P - He'll add to these numbers this year without a doubt, a jaw injury won't throw his game off like a Zetts back injury can

Samuelsson: 3 G, 8 A, 11 P - With more expected of him, I think he'll at least equal this if not exceed it slightly

Kronwall: 0 G, 0 A, 0 P (missed entire playoffs with injury) - If he can stay healthy and actually play, he'll help us offensively signicantly

Rafalski: N/A, but he'll easily make up for Schneiders point production and some

and let's not forget Hudler, he'll get his chance to contribute and he could flake out, but maybe he'll step up. If so, hey, it's a good thing. When he's on, he's on. He just has to decide if he's a real-deal playoff contributor. Then Stuart will definitely help out and I wouldn't count Kopecky out yet. It'd be a good time for him to step up and prove himself.

So could a big-time legitimate scorer have helped? Sure. But at the same time, I've got a bit of faith in what Mike Babcock can do with this team. They made it far last year with injuries that would've killed other teams. If we're healthy going in and can stay healthy, we're still the team to beat in my mind.

I'll add that Colorado, San Jose and Dallas have simply made things more interesting. It's still the Ducks or the Wings who are going to be battling it out for the Western spot.

I'm content.

In all seriousness I do not believe the Red Wings have a shot at winning the cup this year. What have they changed from last year to this year? Basically nothing has changed, yet other Western teams added to their team to get better. And if the Wings couldn't do it last year, why this year with arguably the same team.

I think the redwings have a shot certainly at the cup, but I'm not bold enough to come out and say they have the 'best shot'. I think Dallas and Anaheim have arguably as good if not better shots at the cup out of the west. It'll be interesting though to see what upsets happen in the first round this year. It'd be nice to send Pronger home early.

The wings really needed another scorer. Maybe had they gotten fedorov as their only trade I woulda felt much better about this deadline...

Edited by Firehawk

In all seriousness I do not believe the Red Wings have a shot at winning the cup this year. What have they changed from last year to this year? Basically nothing has changed, yet other Western teams added to their team to get better. And if the Wings couldn't do it last year, why this year with arguably the same team.

Ahhh, more experience for the young guys? A healthy Kronwall? Hopefully Rafalski doesn't get injured halfway through like Schneider? Some of these guys got a taste of things to come and learned more about what it takes. Expect that to carry over into the playoffs especially with Babcock at the helm.

Winners

Penguins

Caps

Stars

Sharks

Losers

Habs no hossa and trading Huet :blink:

Leafs

Colombus

I honestly believe we dont belong in either category we got stuart for cheap. We got to keep flippula and hudler. Our guys are coming back, BUT im officially concerned about the stars and sharks i put us 2nd right now in the west with dallas and san jose close behind and the ducks ahead. But as 03 proved games are won on the ice not on paper.

you are forgetting several things

firstly, we were arguably the best team last year .. ok between us and Ducks

secondly, all our key players minus lidstrom are young and had huge experience from last year run. You look at Datsyuk in his eyes and you just know this guy is on a mission. Kronwall is playing like an allstar and although we were in little bit of slump, Filp, Clearly, Franzen all those guys are playing better even lilja to some extent. also we can't overlook Rafi neither.

Stars doesn't worry me so much. They will be a tough team to play against thats for sure but I think we will win 7 games series agaisnt them any day.

Sharks does worry me a bit because if they wake up.. they could be one hell of force like last year.

Ducks.. well we all know about them. Avs? stop kidding me, they will not beat us this year neither is anyone from Eastern conference.

We have a great chance this year

Edited by Yemack

Hmmm, this ranks right up there with Holland's brilliant Cory Cross acquisition! PHENOMENAL!! What a waste of a %$#^&*% day web surfing! :ranting:

That's your own damn fault for wasting YOUR time on the matter. Nobody promised you anything would go down. I swear, half of you truly are pissed just b/c you sat around all day and nothing big happened so you feel you were cheated. Hey, take responsibility for your own decisions. Again, no one promised you anything and I'm pretty sure Kenny is only operating in the best interest of the team...he and his giant staff...you know, Steve Yzerman and Scotty Bowman too...I'm sure they all just want to make fans on a message board sweat...

Ahhh, more experience for the young guys? A healthy Kronwall? Hopefully Rafalski doesn't get injured halfway through like Schneider? Some of these guys got a taste of things to come and learned more about what it takes. Expect that to carry over into the playoffs especially with Babcock at the helm.

EXCELLENT POINT

Ken Holland is a moron.

I'm done with this place.

There is alot of drama queens in this forum right now. Most likely the same ones who agreed with the critics about the salary cap being the end of the Red Wings winning ways. This is as good a team as we have had in the last 15 years and somehow some of you are too blind to see it. Ken Holland is an outstanding GM, maybe even the very best in Hockey. Rather than trash the Wings on a Red Wing site, go be a Dallas or Duck fan and bash us from there. We expect stupid senseless talk from them anyway. Do all of us "true Wings fans" a favor and don't get back on the band wagon. See ya in the playoffs, uh, maybe not Colorado though.

Its not like the Wings missed the finals by a lot last year. They had an awesome shot at beating anaheim. And if it wasnt for niedermayer's fluke goal in the final seconds of game 5 Detroit would have taken a 3-2 series lead, and quite possibly made it out of the west and to the finals. Where i think Detroit would have had an awesome shot at taking out Ottawa. Not to mention the injuries to Kronny and Schneider really hurt us.

All and all i think Stuart was a good pickup today. And i think Ken Holland made a good decision not trading away half the team for someone like Hossa who is a FA this offseason and could easily leave for another team leaving us with nothing

Edited by Spezi2cj

I honestly think that a lot of people are tripping out because of the period in time in which all of this happens. If the current slump/ridiculous injury bug had happened maybe in December, and we had righted the ship since then and began playing again the way that we will play when everyone gets back (the same way we played before everyone was injured) people would be far less pissed off. The fact of the matter is that we all have a bitter taste in our mouths when it comes to all things Red Wings. So, it is basic that we forget that we are the highest scoring team (if not one of the highest scoring teams) in the league. Before you jump down my throat, I realize that the regular season and the playoffs are not the same thing, and that it only gets harder. But, at our best, this team can still score. However, in order to win the cup, everyone will NEED to step up, simple as that. We bolstered our blue line as well, a nice little move that I like. It would have been nice to swing a forward with at least top-6 potential, but the price just must not have been right. I'm a little confused at letting this team walk into the playoffs with so much cap space, but such is life. WE ARE STILL A CONTENDER. SAN JOSE NEEDED TO MAKE A MOVE. DALLAS NEEDED TO MAKE A MOVE. WE DID NOT HAVE TO MAKE A MOVE (but it sure as hell would have nice). The Western playoffs are going to be as tight as it gets, I think. The team that gets the breaks is gonna be the survivor, and that team WILL win the Cup. Pittsburgh doesn't have a goalie, and they are still f***ed.

WINNERS:

Pittsburgh

Washington

San Jose

Colorado

Dallas

LOSERS:

Montreal

Columbus

Toronto

Vancouver

I don't get columbus and their front office sometimes.

They have a gaping hole at Center, they have one of the best young superstars in Rick nash and another guy who could get there in zherdev, but they didn't do squat except give up on the season. Oh well for them I guess.....makes me think that maybe hockey isn't long for columbus or something.

Brad Stuart isn't exactly who I was hoping for, but Holland likely has his finger on the pulse of the team AND he likely knows the nitty gritty details of the Lidstrom injury.

I hope it works but I would have loved to have gotten Hossa.....