• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WingsFan19

Red Wings acquire D Brad Stuart

Rate this topic

3.5 this year - UFA in the offseason, possibly just a rental, but only cost us picks...

Great, the Wings could have had Markov for a whole season, for less money, and without giving up any draft picks. Truly, a mizer always ends up paying twice.

I was reflecting on our team last year. And considering Bert and Calder didnt do much of anything...Im kind of happy with the outcome. Bert, Lang, and Calder took away a lot of icetime from Franzen, Cleary, and Filppula, and those guys really came out for the playoffs in a big way. Energy, hunger, speed, grit. All Stuart does is strengthen us in what was actually our achilles heel last season - depth on defense.

And another thing. Most teams that go on to win the cup only make depth moves anyways. Not too many make a blockbuster deal and go on to win the cup.

And finally, one thing I think we have over teams is our chemistry. And adding mac and Stuart dont do too much to that.

Welcome to Detroit Brad Stuart.

A lot of people won't like you immediately just because they had delusions of getting Hossa for a slumping Hudler, an unexciting prospect or two and a draft pick. I also would have rather gotten Hossa, but not if it meant giving up, Jimmy Howard, Johan Franzen, Valtteri Filppula and a first round pick. Which would have been the Detroit equivalent of what Pittsburgh gave up.

So, Brad, I at least, won't start hating you until I see you play and have decided you suck.

Think of it this way...

After losing to Anaheim last season I told you that the Wings would..

LOSE Schnieder, Markov, Bertuzzi, Lang, and Calder

ADD: Rafalski, Stuart, McCarty, Drake

Would you have been excited???

Me neither.

Edited by alienanxiety

I really like this move. There were so few mid-level guys out there this year (with parity and all) and I would have been pissed if Detroit bet the farm to get a guy like Hossa. Last year we get ripped off by Florida (losing Shawn Matthias) to get Bertuzzi who had very little impact in the playoffs; this year all we gave up was a 2nd and a 4th to acquire a guy who will almost certainly be more of a factor (he'll definitely play more minutes since he's a D-man). People might say that we needed more scoring; well yes but a lot of our offense comes from activating the D, which we are better at doing than anyone else in the league. Moreover apart from Hossa and Richards there weren't any top-6 forwards anyways (Ruutu is NOT a scoring Winger at the moment and Fedorov has looked very tentative since his concussion).

Foote preferred Colorado to Detroit, not to mention the price for him was steep. The only other alternative was Hal Gill. Now Gill is fairly responsible defensively, can clear the crease and has a great reach. However his outlet pass is non-existent so he wouldn't fit into our puck-possession game at all. Stuart is prone to the occasional brain cramp, but he skates well, throws his body and can also play on the PP. Granted he has been inconsistent since his days as a Shark, but if Stuart rediscovers his full potential he has 2nd/3rd D-man upside.

Well in all fairness his +/- is pretty scary, but I know his team sucked over in L.A. so I don't fault him too much for that, but the thing I like is his point production. You may say 21 points isn't a lot, but if you take out Lidstrom and Rafalski, the NHL average is 9 points for a defenseman!

So Stuart doubles that average and then some, so it shows he is at least competent in the offensive production aspect. I don't know the exact numbers but I think that only Lids and Rafs have more points then him, so that shows where he is in terms of production and if he had our forwards over his, he'd at least be around 30 or 40 points by now with a +/- near 10 at least and everyone would be like ZOMGGGG, but since he has a crappy team his numbers are going to look gaudy.

I know this isn't the second line scorer everyone wanted, but with him on the blueline and knowing how to play offense from a Defensemen point of view, he will actually be able to help out our second line and give them better and more frequent opportunities to score.

So good move Kenny, with this defenseman, we also get added offense!

Let the critiquing begin lol

Think of it this way...

not gonna shed any tear after Bertuzzi and Calder.

and Lang is lazy and he sucks is beyond any discussion here

and if I recall correctly Holland didn't have much choice with Schneider here.

Rafalski is an excellent pickup from Holland

Stuart - we'll see.

Drake - isn't a keeper, definitely

McCarty - just give him a break. he's signed for low money and supposed to go to AHL

with the option to be called by the Wings.

in the end I'd not rate Holland low because of this.

I'd however gladly know why it's only Stuart and not

some quality second line scorer. seeig how cheap

other GMs were bringing players I could definitely imagine

a nice and cheap forward getting a roster spot with

Wings

Stuart can deck kids, and that is exactly what we need from him and Mccarty.

Just watch this video of Datsyuk getting cheaoshotted.

Notice how fagmo Sammy just skates by and doesnt do a god damn thing to help out his francise player?

Then again its just Tootoo....

Edited by ashenhigh

im 50/50 on him, ill have to see him play before i judge him. because i cant say ive watched many of his games at all.

but.....there are alot of players who would of been a better addition..

IE. Prospal.Belak.Lapointe.Simon.

All would of been great additions..and would of cost next to nothing.

Brad Stuart, D, Los Angeles: Plays physical and has offensive ability. He'll likely be purely a rental, and will return to Los Angeles, but he can add veteran depth to a team.

From detnews.com

I HATE RENTALS. If we put an offer on the table he better re-sign.

great pick up, Stuart didn't have the most impressive numbers on LA, but he was on LA. He is a solid palyer and he will be a big help to our depleted D (and maybe once everyone is healthy we will see less of Lilja? cross your fingers). Way to go Holland, I like it.

are you kidding us?!?! seriously, yes, all 3 got better, but I still think we're a better team, ESPECIALLY with arguably the BEST defense in the league with Stuart added to the fold... when everyone is healthy, THIS is our defense corps:

Listrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Lilja-Chelios/Lebda

NAME a better D in the league, try.

Ummm . . . Anaheim. That wasn't too hard.

:):):):):):):)

While I'm disappointed in the general lack of trades (and the fact that certain players like Hudler and Samuelsson are still here), I'm really, really glad the Wings got Stuart. I've been pushing for him ever since his name came up in the rumors. He's a great all around defenseman that can add so many different elements to the lineup. Plus, he's a good depth player that can play the top 4, and move guys like Lilja down to less minutes.

I hope he can convince his girlfriend to move to Detroit, and he re-signs in the off-season. I think he'll be a great fit on the Wings, and hopefully he plays here for a while. The best part is he's still fairly yound, and has a lot of hockey left in him.

:):):):):):):)

While I'm disappointed in the general lack of trades (and the fact that certain players like Hudler and Samuelsson are still here), I'm really, really glad the Wings got Stuart. I've been pushing for him ever since his name came up in the rumors. He's a great all around defenseman that can add so many different elements to the lineup. Plus, he's a good depth player that can play the top 4, and move guys like Lilja down to less minutes.

I hope he can convince his girlfriend to move to Detroit, and he re-signs in the off-season. I think he'll be a great fit on the Wings, and hopefully he plays here for a while. The best part is he's still fairly yound, and has a lot of hockey left in him.

I hope his girlfriend isn't Pronger's wife.

I really want to point out something I got mocked for a few days ago.

Ellis got picked up off waviers by LA.

We gave LA a 2nd and 4th.

If wewaited on Ellis, we perhaps could have traded him, and perhaps that 4th would have become a 5th, or a 6th.

Maybe even a 3rd and a 4th....

Just saying what I said then. That was a stupid move.

I'm pretty happy with the Stuart signing. I haven't seen the guy play a lot, but he looks like a lot of what the Wings need (at least without giving up a ton in picks or prospects) and they got him cheap.

Yes, getting Hossa would've been amazing, but I think that had about a .01% chance of happening. Now it's up to our current forwards (Flip, Hudler and Sammy, I'm looking at you) to pick it up.

And hell I'd put Stuart on the point in Sammy's place.

Think of it this way...

Would you have been excited???

Me neither.

Losing Schneids and Markov sucked but we replaced them with Rafalski and Stuart so that's a good trade off. Bertuzzi, Lang and Calder....