• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BeeRYCE

Now, let's move on to the bright side.

Rate this topic

Okay, I've been hearing so much rants today about what we DIDN'T do. I'll admit, I'm as angry as the next guy. I'm a guy who likes to see new names imprinted on the back of jerseys, BUT there is a bright side.

If we wanted to acquire a rental player, we weren't going to. They are notoriously failures. Pittsburgh acquired Hossa for what they gave up, I feel is a big let down to their promising future. We wanted Olli Jokinen? Yeah, he's a wet dream, but good luck re-signing Zetterberg and comfortably adding depth with him in the line-up.

Onto secondary scoring... Our major downfall was Filppula and Hudler not playing up to full standards, and Cleary being hurt for a significantly long time. Well don't you think Holland not trading Filp or Huds will give them a slight confidence boost by saying, "hey I'm not going to trade you guys, I'm confident in you guys." I think that alone will make them play better.

Physical/depth defensemen? Sure, maybe an issue, but us allowing the fewest shots again for the majority of the season and helping Ozzy get into the all star game was a huge part of our defensive core. Once we're fully healthy, I believe we will once again excel defensively.

Remember, we didn't gain anything, but we also didn't lose anything. We're slumping right NOW, but we didn't give up our future to get a rental player.

wings are still the best team in the league. Their defense is the best ever and scoring will work itself out. Maybe Dmac will come in and play a minor role like Kocur did and come up with a few goals... maybe not. I'm not too worried. I also think the fact that Kopecky and Franzen's size will help keep Joe Thornton and Getzlaf mediocre. I'm an optimist. If everyone is healthy... Detroit will win the cup. My opinion.

The bright side is that we didn't give up much of anything and we have plenty of cap to lock up the players we need to and maybe sign the players we'll need to in the summer. All of this and we'll still have a hell of a team when everyone gets back to game shape. There's always the waiver wire if a gem pops up. I'm not suprised to see that we didn't make any huge moves.

Edited by wingsfan75

I am glad today turned out the way it did. Ken Holland was not about to make a trade just to make a trade. The only way he was going to trade with any team for anyone is if 1. the player could help the team and 2. the price is right. Apparently Brad Stuart satisfied both of those criteria.

We don't yet know how deep the Wings were in to any of the other deals that went down today. Who knows? Maybe other teams wanted too much in terms of players, picks and prospects for the players they were willing to deal. I mean, yeah, it would be cool to land the big trade deadline deal (Marian Hossa), but sometimes it's the little ones that work out the best.

And let's face it - the Wings were playing pretty damn good before all these injuries. We are going to get a lot of our hurt guys back in the next few weeks. There really wasn't much we needed before, except maybe a solid, stay-at-home defenceman, and Kenny got that today in Stuart.

Ken Holland knows what he's doing...so we all just need to take a breath and relax. *breathes in deeply and exhales* There, now doesn't that feel better? :)

Guest octopusdank
Okay, I've been hearing so much rants today about what we DIDN'T do. I'll admit, I'm as angry as the next guy. I'm a guy who likes to see new names imprinted on the back of jerseys, BUT there is a bright side.

If we wanted to acquire a rental player, we weren't going to. They are notoriously failures. Pittsburgh acquired Hossa for what they gave up, I feel is a big let down to their promising future. We wanted Olli Jokinen? Yeah, he's a wet dream, but good luck re-signing Zetterberg and comfortably adding depth with him in the line-up.

Onto secondary scoring... Our major downfall was Filppula and Hudler not playing up to full standards, and Cleary being hurt for a significantly long time. Well don't you think Holland not trading Filp or Huds will give them a slight confidence boost by saying, "hey I'm not going to trade you guys, I'm confident in you guys." I think that alone will make them play better.

Physical/depth defensemen? Sure, maybe an issue, but us allowing the fewest shots again for the majority of the season and helping Ozzy get into the all star game was a huge part of our defensive core. Once we're fully healthy, I believe we will once again excel defensively.

Remember, we didn't gain anything, but we also didn't lose anything. We're slumping right NOW, but we didn't give up our future to get a rental player.

great points!! :thumbup: we still have the same team that dominated the 1st half, hopefully back by play offs!!

I am happy that we did not give up our future or key elements of it. We should be able to compete in the playoffs after all we did go to WCF with the same team. We were missing two of our defesemen then. I really feel confident in this team when its healthy and rolling. Here's to hoping that we're healthy and rolling come April.

:clap:

And we didn't need to.

Look fans, I know the Wings aren't good right now. I'm not looking for a cop-out excuse, but it's just a fact that it is more difficult to consistently win when some of your top players go down to injury. Losing your top-4 defensemen all around the same time is a hard pill to swallow.

Who knows what will happen in the playoffs but the roster, when healthy, was consistently winning more often than not. The roster after the trade deadline minus a few injured players, is almost nearly identical to the roster that was winning more often than not when healthy.

To think that the Wings are just a recipe for disaster and done in the first round when there is still aways to go before the playoffs and getting some important players back is just ludicrous. I'm all for constructive criticism, but thinking they are completely screwed is ludicrous.

Guest DetroitBoy313
Well don't you think Holland not trading Filp or Huds will give them a slight confidence boost by saying, "hey I'm not going to trade you guys, I'm confident in you guys." I think that alone will make them play better.

WOW! I thought I was the only guy that thought this.I said the exactly same thing to my father today talking about the deadline.I think a couple guys maybe thought they would be traded,and since they didn't they can look at themselves and say they have faith in me and I gotta do what I gotta do to make this team better.Once healthy I have MUCH faith in this team guys.

You know whats really funny here, in 2002 the Red Wings were one of the best teams EVER put together, and there were several times that they had difficulty getting wins.

Unfortunately this current team looks very little like that team. Some folks on this board seem to think if you throw the "right" people on a team, the Cup will inevitably follow. Sorry it doesn't work that way, not even close.

Thats the problem with some Red Wings fans, if they don't win the cup, the season was a failure. Get a grip.