195 replies to this topic

#21 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (ARice89 @ February 26, 2008 - 11:10PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If this team is healthy it's better than last year's.

Could not agree more... noticed it at beginning of the season... still think it now.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#22 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,662 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (ARice89 @ February 26, 2008 - 03:10PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

gotta disagree.

Markov/Schneider > Stuart
Lang/Bertuzzi > um.....what forward did we acquire...Drake?

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#23 DRW Dominance

DRW Dominance

Yzerman=God

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:16 PM

My issue is not getting a guy like Prospal. We were never gonna get Hossa and I'm glad. Pitt gave up 2 roster players, high prospect, high pick. That's too much for a rental and I'm sure Pitt will tell you the same thing in the summer.
You know what though. Maybe no one wanted our garbage. Like Sammy or Hudler. If we think they can't play then surely other gms think the same thing. We didn't have a lot of pieces to work with.
naked is a state of mind

#24 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:17 PM

umm shanahanman, just so that you know, and so you can keep any credibility you should change
Markov/Schnieder > stuart to
Markov/ Schneider < rafalski and Stuart
But that is just me!

You people amuse me, you say Holland hasn't done s*** in forever, well except the number 2 d-man (stat wise) in the league, but Rafalski is chopped liver.

Edited by Opie, 26 February 2008 - 06:21 PM.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#25 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,662 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (DRW Dominance @ February 26, 2008 - 03:16PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My issue is not getting a guy like Prospal. We were never gonna get Hossa and I'm glad. Pitt gave up 2 roster players, high prospect, high pick. That's too much for a rental and I'm sure Pitt will tell you the same thing in the summer.
You know what though. Maybe no one wanted our garbage. Like Sammy or Hudler. If we think they can't play then surely other gms think the same thing. We didn't have a lot of pieces to work with.

Feds, Fedetenko, Stoll......we had the assets to acquire them.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#26 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:19 PM

Why are so many of you panicing?.. Anything can happen come playoff time, and we will be healthy then
IPB Image

#27 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:20 PM

Bertuzzi/Lang < addition by subtraction

#28 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,662 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE (Opie @ February 26, 2008 - 03:17PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
umm shanahanman, just so that you know, and so you can keep any credibility you should change
But that is just me!

You people amuse me, Holland has done s*** in forever, well except the number 2 d-man (stat wise) in the league, but Rafalski is chopped liver.

I wasn't pairing them, though i could see how you would think so. i meant that Markov OR Schneider and Lang OR Bertuzzi, not pairing.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#29 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:23 PM

Yeah but
markov/Schneids left which I think was your point.
My point is that Holland signed
Rafalski and Stuart not that their pairing is better, he BROUGH THEM TO THE ROSTER!!!!!!!!!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#30 dallas27

dallas27

It worked with Hossa, now it's Ilya's turn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:24 PM

It's too early to write them off. But I will tell you this; Z, Dats and Homer are going to be carrying a heavy, heavy load in the playoffs. If they don't score then a first round exit could be possible.

It's a Festivus miracle!!!

"For the next 20 minutes, you will sit in silence while I tell you why the Detroit Red Wings are the greatest franchise in the history of professional sports." -Dr. Perry Cox

#31 bellarina

bellarina

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Close this thread!!!! It's pointless.
com mas bacalhao filho!
CR 7

#32 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

QUOTE (ShanahanMan @ February 26, 2008 - 06:14PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
gotta disagree.

Markov/Schneider > Stuart
Lang/Bertuzzi > um.....what forward did we acquire...Drake?

Let's talk about the actual on-ice product, not the names on paper.

The Wings lost Kronwall before the playoffs last year, so this was the defense heading into round one:

Lidstrom-Markov
Schneider-Lilja
Lebda-Chelios

Heading into round one it will be (knock on wood):

Lidstrom-Rafalski
Kronwall-Stuart
Lilja-Chelios

Kronwall's play is much improved this year and Rafalski is better than Schneider. Lilja is out of the top four.

Up front, Lang and Bertuzzi were totally dead weight. The second line has been incredibly streaky this year, but Cleary has improved his play and at least Filppula (as opposed to Lang) plays defense.

You guys need to calm down. Had the team still been rolling (meaning NOT missing the entire top four along with Cleary) and we acquired Stuart, people would be loving it. The Wings were easily the best team in the NHL before the injuries piled up.
In a 2005 study published by the journal Nature, researchers at Durham University in England concluded that, across a range of sports, we found that wearing red is consistently associated with a higher probability of winning. The researchers also suggested that red's effect may subconsciously intimidate opponents in athletic contests, especially when the athletes are equal in skill and strength.

#33 FinRedWing

FinRedWing

Not against the cap

• HoF Booster
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:25 PM

Maybe no one wanted our garbage. Like Sammy or Hudler. If we think they can't play then surely other gms think the same thing. We didn't have a lot of pieces to work with.

And that's fine by me.
As long as we don't re-sign our garbage when the time comes they're UFA/RFA.
Burke.gif

#34 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (Opie @ February 26, 2008 - 11:17PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But that is just me!

You people amuse me, you say Holland hasn't done s*** in forever, well except the number 2 d-man (stat wise) in the league, but Rafalski is chopped liver.

was going to say... rafalski is better than schneider last year and think he offers more with a right hand shot. Better team than last year. People just panicking because we're on a slide with a 1/3 of the squad out.

We'll be fine

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#35 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,920 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (ARice89 @ February 26, 2008 - 07:10PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, put the lines together and we're going to be a pain to play against. We got a good mix of size and speed.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Cleary-Filppula-Samuelsson
Franzen-Draper-Hudler
Maltby-Kopecky/Drake-McCarty/Downey

Lidstrom-Rafalski
Stuart-Kronwall
Lebda/Lilja-Chelios

Osgood
Hasek
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#36 redwing_sparty

redwing_sparty

MICHIGAN STATE 08-09 BIG TEN BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS!!!

• PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:32 PM

geez, the naysayers need to chillll outtt! before february all the talk around this team was will they get 62 wins or not. point is the wings have been in a rut. they have guys who are proven scorers. this ship will right itself before the playoffs. yes it would have been nice to add a forward, but if kenny couldn't find what he and babs thought we needed, then i trust them. Kenny is still one of the best gm's in the league. last year's trade deadline aquistitions did jack s***. bert was semi useful but nothing to what he was supposed to be. who knows what mac will be able to do (not insinuating he is a savior!). this team is still in great shape; people are just pissed b/c we've been losing. Pittsburg put all its eggs in one basket. they wont win the cup this year, and hossa will be a ufa at the end of the season. If we still want him then, we can pick him up. I predict a solid win over edmonton tonight with franzen and flip contributing. We can grab some momentum and then go down and smack san jose around on friday. POSITIVE ATTITUDES PEOPLE!!!!

#37 dallas27

dallas27

It worked with Hossa, now it's Ilya's turn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE (Barrie @ February 26, 2008 - 06:27PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree, put the line together and we're going to be a pain to play against. We got a good mix of size and speed.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Osgood
Hasek

That line will be a pain to play against. Flip and Cleary will hopefully (and probably should) produce in the playoffs but you can't count on anyone other than that.

It's a Festivus miracle!!!

"For the next 20 minutes, you will sit in silence while I tell you why the Detroit Red Wings are the greatest franchise in the history of professional sports." -Dr. Perry Cox

#38 #19forPresident!

#19forPresident!

Yzerman in 2012

• PipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:33 PM

Damnit, now I have to grab my ipod, queue up the old R.E.M. "end of the world" and head to the bathtub with a hairdryer. rolleyes.gif
Missing: One win. Last seen: June 2009 in Detroit, MI Description: Approximately 3 ft tall, engraved silver, sweet and enjoyable personality, life of the party

"They would have to carry me off on a stretcher to keep me from playing at this time of the year." - Steve Yzerman

#39 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (Salviaman @ February 26, 2008 - 03:48PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have the best team in the NHL when we don't have injuries, but we do have INJURIES and we needed to fix them with new players which Holland did not do as promised. That being said I agree with you guys that we needed to add a scorer like a Satan or a Hossa. I have lost faith in Holland and I hope that the door hits him in the ass when he steps down/or gets fired as GM for another 1st round playoff exit. The farthest I see this current team making it this year is the 2nd round thats it. Holland needs to step down as GM. dry.gif

THIS TEAM has had it's best shot to win the cup in years, and it would of helped to get a top 6 forward onto this team but Holland lied to the fans again. As much as it hates me to say this, we will not be a REAL playoff team come April. We are soft, we get pushed around. The time to add a elite forward was now and we didn't do it so now we will pay the price for it. If Holland thinks McCarty is some sort of Hockey God and Stuart is the 2nd coming of Scott Stevens then kudos to him, but the real REALITY of the situation is very gloomy and grim. It is a sad day to be a Wings fan today. Thanks Kenny Holland, thanks a lot buddy. ranting.gif

I actually feel sorry for the fans in the Detroit area who have to pay out the butt to see the Wings lose another 1st round playoff series. mad.gif

Excuse me while I prepare my response to your post. I guarantee it will be well-worded, articulate, and clear in meaning.

Edit: It's ready. Here it is:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA!

#40 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (DaWingsin071 @ February 26, 2008 - 05:08PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And last but not least. Being from MN we did not trade to get Chris Simon. Oh how I am gonna rub into my buddies face. What a dumb move. That is all.

I am from Minnesota and I got no clue why did Wild get this guy. It as they have a soft spot for suspended Islanders players.