• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

esteef

McCarty WILL join Wings a week from Monday

Rate this topic

The sad thing is, that if I said a rented mule should replace Lebda, your rssponse should still be the same.

Don't we already have a rented mule, or did the Wings get rid of Franzen when I wasn't looking? :lol:

I like McCarty and all...but we still cant score...and he isnt going to solve that for us. Hudler, Kopecky, Franzen..and even our goal scorers arent scoring...we need Ceary and our top 4 d men back..

Well at least were getting more North American players..And a little bit tougher...but I doubt McCarty will have any impact..

They should be marketing this everywhere. That game when he comes back will be HUGE. I want to go get tickets.

The terms "marketing" and "Red Wings" do not coexist together. Let's get real here. :hehe:

Guest CaliWingsNut
This is good news. I hope he can get used to the NHL speed fast and start playing like his old self again. This should pump the fans at the Joe!

Not to pick on you in perticular... but I love how everyone is talking like it's been years since he's been playing. He's basically been outta the NHL somewhere between 1 and 1.5 years. I understand the need to get back into shape, but it's a sport he's been playing all his life (and minus the last year, since 93 in the NHL).

Well it has been awesome having him in GR

It was a GREAT Influence on the whole city, not to mention the boys in the Locker room, the unfortunate part was the fact that the team has been so streaky this year that even with his leadership and energy infusion, the team just hasnt looked consistent. They show flashes of brillance, then almost as quickly, look like the are in Pee Wee's learning how to take their first slap shot, or make their first check.

If he can honestly get up to NHL game speed, and get his conditioning back to where he will help the wings, I know for one I WILL GLADLY Love to see the GRIND LINE again!

Heres to hoping his last few games in a Griffins uni goes out with a BANG!

Not to pick on you in perticular... but I love how everyone is talking like it's been years since he's been playing. He's basically been outta the NHL somewhere between 1 and 1.5 years. I understand the need to get back into shape, but it's a sport he's been playing all his life (and minus the last year, since 93 in the NHL).

Well I can only speak for myself personally here, but I don't think people are rooting for him so much to support him getting back into playing shape physically, that is just something professional athletes do. It happens after the off season every year, hell if you miss a couple weeks from an injury you need to work hard to get back to where you were. So DMac knows what he needs to do, and how to do it, you're right about that.

I think most people are being vocal about supporting him because he's reviving his career in the time of personal crisis. He was a serious alcoholic and gambler, which automatically screws everything in your personal life, multiplied by ten if you have a family. I'm sure we have all known someone like this to some extent, but battling your personal demons while you're trying to do something as difficult as compete at the professional level in any sport is a serious accomplishment, and a hell of a turnaround.

So I don't think the back patting is because we're worried about his playing shape, so much as we're proud of his recovery.

Edited by #19forPresident!

Guest Canadian Wings

I love how ppl are so excited that hes returning and all. But u think there would be better things to talk about like us losing the last 10 of 11. McCarty is a piece of washed up s***, thats only coming back because he has no money. By the responses of ppl on this site u would think he's the equivalent to sidney crosby.

Guest CaliWingsNut
I love how ppl are so excited that hes returning and all. But u think there would be better things to talk about like us losing the last 10 of 11. McCarty is a piece of washed up s***, thats only coming back because he has no money. By the responses of ppl on this site u would think he's the equivalent to sidney crosby.

He's huge in detroit because of his past. Granted he's not "sidney crosby", but he has always shown great heart for the game. It's something you can't buy, nor something many players have anymore (at least when compared to Mac). Yes he's broke, but hockey's what he does. I'm sure he could still make at least a living off of Grinder (playing off his name). Your arguing that he's only coming back for money... If you made a living off something for the past 15 years of your life, would you try and do something else cause you were broke? If McCarty was washed up, he wouldn't be on the roster, and his play in GR speaks for itself.

I do think that McCarty returning is going to help alot in our current situation. I don't think he's going to come in and fix everything, but he is a decent player and will add experience that currently isn't dressing for games. Even if he isn't making plays, he'll be helping others to do so.

Franzen has never impressed me at all. He has girth, big deal.....I'm not nostalgic, bring the grindline back & see what happens! You don't think Malts & Drapes are frothing at the mouth to see this happen? Go Darren!...and welcome home!

Edited by sinbin

Hmm..so far people have suggested that McCarty should replace:

Hudler, Franzen, Kopecky, Drake, Downey, Samuelsson

So what's basically being said with these posts is:

Darren McCarty, who played himself out of the NHL a year ago, and hasn't made it back into a game yet...is a top-six forward in the NHL? The NHL where people were selling the farm at the trade deadline just to pick up a second liner who might help them win a playoff game or two?

If that's true, then Ken Holland is the greatest GM the game has ever seen, to be able to pick up a top six power forward like McCarty for the league minimum and giving up no assets.

Man, I'm pumped to have Mac back. Just the excitement alone is going to be crazy to have in the Joe.

I don't think he's a savior of any sorts, but maybe he can energize the team a bit and stir things up.

Hmm..so far people have suggested that McCarty should replace:

Hudler, Franzen, Kopecky, Drake, Downey, Samuelsson

So what's basically being said with these posts is:

Darren McCarty, who played himself out of the NHL a year ago, and hasn't made it back into a game yet...is a top-six forward in the NHL? The NHL where people were selling the farm at the trade deadline just to pick up a second liner who might help them win a playoff game or two?

If that's true, then Ken Holland is the greatest GM the game has ever seen, to be able to pick up a top six power forward like McCarty for the league minimum and giving up no assets.

None of those guys should be playing in the top 6. Since Holland didn't go after any forwards at the deadline, that's just the way it's going to have to be. This shouldn't come as a newsflash, but other than Cleary we have no 2nd line players who can score on a consistent basis. Also, Mac will probably play on the 3rd line with Draper and Maltby, and not on the 2nd line.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

It's painfully obvious none of u watched him in Calgary. I love Mac but if u expect him to contribute anything but a little roughhouse play and energy than your delusional. AT BEST he will be a slight upgade over Downey on the Ice and a downgrade of him when fighting.

As far as skating and skill go, I don't like Downey and MAC on the same line. Much rather have Drake play with Downey on the fourth and let Draper and Maltby kind of carry MAC somewhat. Drake is in better shape to make up for Downey.

As far as fighting is concerned?...

Downey-Drake-McCarty

Lilja-Stuart

We're good.

esteef

I'm sure that will scare the s*** outta Bertuzzi, Getzlaf, Pronger, Parros, Sutherby, Travis Moen, O'donnell and Heck even Corey Perry.

D Mac - Drake - Downey = CRASH LINE

CRASH LINE= 4 GAME SWEEP IN PLAYOFFS. Physicality is not the wings issue currently. Scoring is. We cannot afford to have a 4th line with virtually no talent

I'm sure that will scare the s*** outta Bertuzzi, Getzlaf, Pronger, Parros, Sutherby, Travis Moen, O'donnell and Heck even Corey Perry.

Exactly why we need to add someone like MAC, and Parros and Downey probably won't see much playoffs. (Nobody's scared of Bertuzzi anymore BTW).

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
Exactly why we need to add someone like MAC, and Parros and Downey probably won't see much playoffs. (Nobody's scared of Bertuzzi anymore BTW).

Call bertuzzi washed up, fat, old and slow, it dosent matter. He could still destroy Drake in a fight, and PLAY THE GAME

Yeah, that's exactly what we're saying. Get a clue man. He's at best gonna be on the third line, probably be on the fourth line when he's not a healthy scratch.

Call bertuzzi washed up, fat, old and slow, it dosent matter. He could still destroy Drake in a fight, and PLAY THE GAME

He's still strong, I'll give him that but he's gonna have to prove he can beat Drake before I believe that. Drake's been fightin' a long time.

Bertuzzi was never much of a fighter, actually. I don't get where people have this impression that he's Cam Neely or Brendan Shanahan, going to score two goals on you AND beat up your enforcer. Bertuzzi has typically been a big, strong guy who throws his weight around a little but doesn't really end up in fights much. Kind of like Robert Lang with a bit more physical game and less defense.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
Bertuzzi was never much of a fighter, actually. I don't get where people have this impression that he's Cam Neely or Brendan Shanahan, going to score two goals on you AND beat up your enforcer. Bertuzzi has typically been a big, strong guy who throws his weight around a little but doesn't really end up in fights much. Kind of like Robert Lang with a bit more physical game and less defense.

Yes but just based on his side he has an immesne advantage over drake. Ive been in well around ten adrenilined fueled and your body just natrually knows how to scrap when pissed or thretned enough. Drake may be better pound for pound but I would bet on Bertuzzi a hundred out of a hundred times.